Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: Facebook Wars

Facebook Wars

Last night I had a realization. Or maybe I am way off base. We'll see what the board says...

For a long time now I've made Facebook jokes. Things like "if it wasnt on Facebook, it didnt happen" and telling my friends "your dinner looked good last night". We all know there seems to be an almost addict-like need for Thai gals to post everything on Facebook. I've even joked that maybe they need a 12 step program here... friends of Bill W/enemies of Mark Z.

I got a strange request a few days back. "Hun-nee... you know something we didnt have for loooong time?". I replied "anal sex" and got a slap on the shoulder. "We didnt eat pizza for many month now". So last night I relented and picked up some pizza hut, made a little fruited wine and I turned on an action flick.

What I noticed though was that the she-wok barely ate any pizza, drank only half a glass of her wine and didnt much watch the movie either. But for that first hour we were back and had hot food and sweet wine and a fun movie in front of us, can you guess what held her attention? You guessed it; Facebook. She had of course, posted the pix of our food & wine and was busy responding to comments, which lead to conversations via Line, etc.

Eventually it hit me like like a Foreman right-cross... eating pizza wasnt the point. Showing off the pizza was. Of course, this leads to the follow-on thought that perhaps all of the constant facebook posts, not just the food ones, but the vacation ones, the new widget ones... all of it may just be an extension of the Thai propensity to show off one's status. I'd be lying if I didnt say that it left me with a bit of a sour taste. Maybe others have already had this realization, but I hadnt... not until then.

When I think of what my friend's Thai gals post, as well as my own... the meals, the gifts, the "look at me I'm in Uni" pix, the vacation snapshots... it could all be filed under the heading of showing off. Or worse, one-upping their FB friends. If I am right, that's a sad thing indeed...
    Dkdude, Waharoa and billpay like this.

What is this "Facebook" you speak of?

It annoys me when some of my younger friends are glued to their phones most of the time while we're out together. The more mature may check in briefly at the beginning or end of a meal, but the twenty-somethings don't seem to have good table manners. Yes it's rude.
    tnlawyer and Waharoa like this.

Facebook, Instagram, Line it's the new "Normal".

I said exactly this before.. The issue with Khmer girl was a serious need for validation and way beyond just a low level.. They all like FB a 'bit too much' but I dont know anymore if thats just asian or its everywhere and everyone.. But in general with Bee shes updating things she doing, day to day, seems at least normal or understandable, shes not putting on airs and trying to show life any different than it is, but in highlights I guess.. Sure if we go out to eat its noted, but mostly as a 'doing this' kind of thing.

But the issue with the Khmer girl was it wasnt just to post a false impression of what life was like, only good stuff and no mention of bad stuff, never being able to touch food until all the dishes had been served and photographing it 6 ways to sunday, but she would get genuinely unhappy and upset if it didnt get enough 'likes' and feedback.. Like you said the point of going out wasnt to eat some nice oysters, it was to have others see she was eating oysters, and approve of it..

Took me a while to realize it (also I started her FB accounts so it was snowballing while I knew her) and see the pattern but there was a really unhealthy 'other peoples approval' thing going on.. In fact I even think there was in the end a bias to restaurants where there was more 'likes' given off the picture, over places we enjoyed eating. This was even more odd as one of the facebook profiles was a 'bar account' where 90% of the people clicking like she didnt know anyway.. It was validation of strangers.

The whole thing can be a bit weird anyway.. And maybe its to over analyse it and others (something I am guilty of) but you can see how it feeds self esteem issues.. When someones only getting enjoyment out of a nice meal, because of peer approval instead of the meal itself.. Thats odd..

Got off of FB a few years ago because I noticed the same things. Haven't missed it one bit. Wife is on it all the time though. We went to Ruth's Chris for Valentine's Day and I wasn't allowed to touch my steak until she took pictures to post on FB. Unreal.

It's all about showing who has the better life

The one thing I will say for Ao is she does avoid drama on FB
    If someone is causing drama she will delete and block them

I'd rather see pics of food and bragging rights over the amount of disgusting and horrific videos/pictures they often share.
    Changone likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by NeedHoliday View Post
    I'd rather see pics of food and bragging rights over the amount of disgusting and horrific videos/pictures they often share.
    ha yeah.. what is that about ??? Mangled bodies being run over by trucks and spread 5m down the road etc.. Snuff films shot on cell phones..

On one of my first trips here, I was sat with a whole bunch of girls off duty, chilling at their rooms.. And they had VCD's which had been filmed by emergency first responders.. the body snatchers who scrap up the road traffic victims and stuff.. And there was this guy grinning at the camera, bends down at this manged body, and with his pen kinda flicked open a hanging bit off skull to expose the mushy brain inside.. All while still grinning away to the video crew.. I look around and every Thai face was glued in rapt silent attention to the screen.. Was a total WTF moment.

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    I said exactly this before.. The issue with Khmer girl was a serious need for validation and way beyond just a low level.. They all like FB a 'bit too much' but I dont know anymore if thats just asian or its everywhere and everyone.. But in general with Bee shes updating things she doing, day to day, seems at least normal or understandable, shes not putting on airs and trying to show life any different than it is, but in highlights I guess.. Sure if we go out to eat its noted, but mostly as a 'doing this' kind of thing.

But the issue with the Khmer girl was it wasnt just to post a false impression of what life was like, only good stuff and no mention of bad stuff, never being able to touch food until all the dishes had been served and photographing it 6 ways to sunday, but she would get genuinely unhappy and upset if it didnt get enough 'likes' and feedback.. Like you said the point of going out wasnt to eat some nice oysters, it was to have others see she was eating oysters, and approve of it..

Took me a while to realize it (also I started her FB accounts so it was snowballing while I knew her) and see the pattern but there was a really unhealthy 'other peoples approval' thing going on.. In fact I even think there was in the end a bias to restaurants where there was more 'likes' given off the picture, over places we enjoyed eating. This was even more odd as one of the facebook profiles was a 'bar account' where 90% of the people clicking like she didnt know anyway.. It was validation of strangers.

The whole thing can be a bit weird anyway.. And maybe its to over analyse it and others (something I am guilty of) but you can see how it feeds self esteem issues.. When someones only getting enjoyment out of a nice meal, because of peer approval instead of the meal itself.. Thats odd..
    Is it ok to "like" this post? I feel weird ..
    LivinLOS, WarProfiteer and Waharoa like this.
    A woman won The Nobel Peace Prize? Must have been a pretty good sandwich.

Quote Originally Posted by slampay View Post
    Is it ok to "like" this post? I feel weird ..
    1 like = Amen.. Share = 10 Amens.

Now forward this message to 10 people and good fortune will come in the next 5 days.
    tnlawyer and NeedHoliday like this.

unfortunately FB (and other social media entities) has allowed people a venue for aggrandisement via self promotion...its no longer just the people in earshot copping it...its all you choose to share it with...immediately

People are living their fantasy lives in there...and only using reality for FB "fodder"...selecting only the finest of their moments and staging others to post and appease their online egos...delusional self gratification....and in reverse self loathing when it backfires....

Its a bloody dangerous game for the fragile egos it seems to attract
    Dkdude likes this.

^^ so people don't really post pictures that portray their 'county music' side of life?

"This is my leaving me" ect? 55
    nelsonone likes this.

^^ so people don't really post pictures that portray their 'county music' side of life?

"This is my leaving me" ect? 55
    maybe the Shania Twaine side of country Slam....

Quote Originally Posted by nelsonone View Post
    unfortunately FB (and other social media entities) has allowed people a venue for aggrandisement via self promotion...its no longer just the people in earshot copping it...its all you choose to share it with...immediately

People are living their fantasy lives in there...and only using reality for FB "fodder"...selecting only the finest of their moments and staging others to post and appease their online egos...delusional self gratification....and in reverse self loathing when it backfires....

Its a bloody dangerous game for the fragile egos it seems to attract
    With the TG's it is just what they always have done but on a grander scale

Quote Originally Posted by marc26 View Post
    With the TG's it is just what they always have done but on a grander scale
    Actually, it sounds like someone who is lacking in their own self worth, and I personally couldn't handle that. In your case, if Ao needs to be confirmed as happy by 'likes'...I'd be double pissed off and, well, worried.

I also often see on Facebook that a Thai friend will "like" literally everything you post, regardless of content, and the recipient often keeps track of all the likes and then posts a picture of that person liking everything, like they got a reward for the most likes they sent - which sounds like they're basically stroking each others egos.
    Changone, LivinLOS and Dkdude like this.

Actually, it sounds like someone who is lacking in their own self worth, and I personally couldn't handle that. In your case, if Ao needs to be confirmed as happy by 'likes'...I'd be double pissed off and, well, worried.
    Umm.......it is every girl in Thailand, practically

Have you not been reading the previous posts?

And as I said in my post......this has been going on amongst Thai girls long before FB was ever even thought of
    It is part of their culture
    One I don't care for or buy into but it is there

Quote Originally Posted by marc26 View Post
    Umm.......it is every girl in Thailand, practically

Have you not been reading the previous posts?

And as I said in my post......this has been going on amongst Thai girls long before FB was ever even thought of
    It is part of their culture
    One I don't care for or buy into but it is there
    But you married a person, not a culture? I know it's a delicant balance, but things like 'face' and such must just wear you out ? It did me..

My ex had a uber perversion towards simple minded tv, reality and awards shows. Fuck I hated that ! Simpleton b-shit that after a while...just makes ya mental.

I don't subscribe to FB, never have, and probably never will.

(someone please give me a "like" on this post)
    Changone, WarProfiteer and Dkdude like this.

There ya go...555

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast