Page 2 of 44 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 875
Like Tree914Likes

Thread: The Photography Extravaganza Thread

  1. #21
    Senior Member Coolhand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Middlesex
    Posts
    187
    OK first of all, don't get bitten by the gear bug - it's expensive, you will always want something else, and after a few uses you probably won't want to use it again that much.....


    The photos you took aren't too bad at all... Cropping off the tops of heads is not a sin, I do it regularly, and on purpose, to raise the level of the eyes in the photo (rule of thirds), as long as the customer is happy with that kind of photo (never do it with a Sikh family!).

    3 additions I would recommend you to invest in are:
    1) a tripod, pain in the ass to carry around but there will be times you wished you had a steady platform. If you think landscape photography is something you want to do - then spend as much as you can afford, else a cheap tripod will suit you fine.
    2) a polarising filter, essential for outdoor shots if there is going to be windows, water or any other non-metallic reflecting surface around, and
    3) a flash, Steve has already pointed out one of your photos that could have benefitted from flash.

    Put your photos onto forums and get good critique, it will help you improve your photography, but beware there can be some nasty buggers out there, so don't take the critique too seriously.

    Take photos all the time. A very good suggestion is at least to shoot the equivalent of a roll of film every week (36 photos) and learn from the mistakes you made. You have already got the camera off green box mode, which is great - try a few shots in manual - see if you can guess the right speed and aperture settings before you check the meter. Learn how to look at the light and shadows, learn about contrast, but, mainly enjoy your photography.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    JimCA2 likes this.

  2. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    2,238
    That is one awesome camera bag

  3. #23
    Super Moderator LivinLOS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    14,153
    Quote Originally Posted by JimCA2 View Post
    I found in better lit areas and on a recent trip to Thailand the 2.8s have been quite satisfactory.
    Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 12-35mm f/2.8 Asph. Lens H-HS12035 B&H

    Thats on my temptations list right now..

  4. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    541
    IMG_1998.jpg looks like the issue is resolved before I only got the from url and not from computer feed.

  5. #25
    Super Moderator LivinLOS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    14,153
    Quote Originally Posted by JimCA2 View Post
    looks like the issue is resolved before I only got the from url and not from computer feed.
    Yeah it was 100% the spam filter.. Stopping the 'new user' group from both messaging and image posting.

    Changed the settings and now its fixed.

  6. #26
    Senior Member nelsonone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    2,862
    Quote Originally Posted by JimCA2 View Post
    IMG_1998.jpg looks like the issue is resolved before I only got the from url and not from computer feed.
    hey welcome Jim...nice to have you with us...I always look forward to your great pics on FB...would be great if you find the time to post some in here as well

    Hopefully I will get over to see you again in the next couple of months...

    Nels
    JimCA2 likes this.

  7. #27
    Senior Member Bacon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    797
    I like this dude's photography. His name is Chris Martin.

















    ןooʇsɹɐq ʎɯ uo ʞɔɐq eɯ ʇnd esɐeןd sıɥʇ pɐeɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

  8. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,465
    Quote Originally Posted by Coolhand View Post
    OK first of all, don't get bitten by the gear bug - it's expensive, you will always want something else, and after a few uses you probably won't want to use it again that much.....


    The photos you took aren't too bad at all... Cropping off the tops of heads is not a sin, I do it regularly, and on purpose, to raise the level of the eyes in the photo (rule of thirds), as long as the customer is happy with that kind of photo (never do it with a Sikh family!).

    3 additions I would recommend you to invest in are:
    1) a tripod, pain in the ass to carry around but there will be times you wished you had a steady platform. If you think landscape photography is something you want to do - then spend as much as you can afford, else a cheap tripod will suit you fine.
    2) a polarising filter, essential for outdoor shots if there is going to be windows, water or any other non-metallic reflecting surface around, and
    3) a flash, Steve has already pointed out one of your photos that could have benefitted from flash.

    Put your photos onto forums and get good critique, it will help you improve your photography, but beware there can be some nasty buggers out there, so don't take the critique too seriously.

    Take photos all the time. A very good suggestion is at least to shoot the equivalent of a roll of film every week (36 photos) and learn from the mistakes you made. You have already got the camera off green box mode, which is great - try a few shots in manual - see if you can guess the right speed and aperture settings before you check the meter. Learn how to look at the light and shadows, learn about contrast, but, mainly enjoy your photography.
    Thanks for the advice Luke. I picked up the Canon 50mm f/1.4 and I think I am done buying gear........for now. 555 Will go pick up a polarizing filter.

  9. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,465
    Quote Originally Posted by ub2yoo View Post
    Great, please post some taken with your new lens.

    Don't feel bad, if no one would buy gear, companies wouldn't have the $$$ to invest in R&D and we would all be stuck with a large wooden box with a hole innit 5555
    Well I just got I mostly just have test snaps of Nok in a shower cap, which I'm sure she would love me posting. 5555

    Looking forward to taking the 50 out to the redwoods this weekend to compare to the troubles I was having in the deep woods with the 28-105 f4.

    That said, I have been experimenting around a little bit, testing the body and the faster glass. To get an idea of the light conditions I took the below photo with my iPhone 4 for comparison.


    Iphone 4







    Then tried to take the same photo with the 50mm on the 6D to see how far I could push the ISO in dark conditions.

    50mm f/1.4 ISO12800 Handheld 1/25sec






    I was really happy with the noise results at ISO 12800 after a little noise reduction in lightroom.


    Took a quick snap over the fence as well:



    50mm f/1.4 ISO8000 1/60sec



    Just kind of testing things out obviously, trying to learn what to expect from different settings.

    I'll post some actual pics once I get a chance to take the lens out this weekend.





    LivinLOS and ub2yoo like this.

  10. #30
    Senior Member beuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Near Antwerp Belgium.
    Posts
    183
    The reason why I want a good macro lens is for taking these kind of pictures. Photo was taken with my Nikon D3200 with the 50-200 zoomlens totaly zoomed in on the flower at a distance of about 5 inches away from the flower. It amazed me that I could focus. First pic is the whole flower, second one zoomed in..DSC_0501.jpgDSC_0502.jpg
    Stress is when you wake up screaming realizing you weren't sleeping.

  11. #31
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,465
    A couple more with the 50mm:

    ISO 2500 F1.4 1/50







    ISO 5000 F1.4 1/125

    Last edited by kuhio; 12th July 2013 at 15:09.
    Dodger likes this.

  12. #32
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    2,238
    Got to say. Those are super clean for high ISO, my Nikon was pretty much un-usable over 400.

  13. #33

  14. #34
    Super Moderator LivinLOS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    14,153
    This could just as easily have gone in the xanex and ammo thread but..

    Photojournalist May Have Captured His Own Death on Camera in Egypt

  15. #35
    Senior Member Dodger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,161
    Brian I really like both of your photographs, very clear, well focused and set. They really appeal to me because obviously my business interest and also my ace photographer -Duncs, needs things like your pictures for inspiration and I needed them to show him what I've been trying to get him to take for ages!! so a big thanks mate, they've helped a lot!!
    Custard should be a colour...cos I could then paint over the mess I've just made!!!

  16. #36
    Super Moderator LivinLOS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    14,153
    This is a really good blog.. Not only is this 3 part piece right on the nail IMO.. It also applies to so many other things, I totally get the buying not doing hes talking abut in other things I do...

    Also I love the minimalism and work around defects attitude of both the piece and the blog.. Its part of why I have been toying with just one prime lens, to try to really learn one aspect and work with it. Plus he shots the kind of images I like and want to capture more of..

  17. #37
    Super Moderator LivinLOS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    14,153
    So feeling a bit inspired today I had the camera out, and downloaded the advanced manual (I had no manuals) to work on setting up the custom profiles.. I tend to use the camera in Phnom Penh then leave it in the bag in Thailand, so theres a few setup ideas I want to toy with first and practice.

    1) I just realized that having a UV filter on (lens protection mostly) might be hurting my uber low light tinkering.. When I bought it I made sure to ask if UV filters degraded the light sensitivity and the apparently decent camera shop told me no, would not have any effect on that.. Reading now opinions seem to show that yes I am probably hurting my low light ability..

    2) I know Jim was talking about pushing the exposure compensation while shooting in raw.. And then using lightroom to bring it back but with a good chunk more performance.. This will mean I lose review ability on the camera I assume.. Anyone got a guide or intro to this ??

    3) Lastly (and this is mostly at Jim) I noticed he said
    I shoot shutter priority as I shoot a lot in low light.
    and in my ignorance I would have thought, and have been doing, the opposite in shooting aperture priority fully wide.. I figured if your going to control one thing, make sure its to maximise the light gathering.. I could understand bracketing the shutter to only handheld speeds (I end up with a lot of blurry shots to discard) but I am confused why you would lock in anything less than your best handheld ability as a shutter speed.. Throw me a bone and help me understand that aspect ??

    Mostly I want to get in the habit of carrying the kit more.. Thats my main takeaway from a few things going through my head lately.. Taking shots, 100's and 1000's of them is what I need to do..

  18. #38
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    2,238
    I shoot shutter priority as I shoot a lot in low light

    My 2 cents: That's an argument for a preferance of shutter priority over aperture priority rather than an argument for aperture priority per-se. If you shoot manual you are setting both; neither is necessarily better.

    I guess the one thing you could say is that you are better off picking a shutter speed that you can't go below, say 1/4s, which will give you an acceptable image but it will still be under exposed if there is not enough light.

    Shutter priority can't give you an F stop that is not there any more than aperture priority can give you shutter speeds that are not there.

    My preferance has always been an aperture that I want and then dial in a shutter speed to suit but it's nothing more than a preferance. Then again, I've only ever been an enthusiastic amateur so maybe someone else knows better

  19. #39
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,465
    Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    2) I know Jim was talking about pushing the exposure compensation while shooting in raw.. And then using lightroom to bring it back but with a good chunk more performance.. This will mean I lose review ability on the camera I assume.. Anyone got a guide or intro to this ??
    I don't know if you mean in intro into how you avoid losing the ability to review your photos in camera or an intro to processing RAW in lightroom. If its the latter, I found this quick video helpful.



    Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    3) Lastly (and this is mostly at Jim) I noticed he said and in my ignorance I would have thought, and have been doing, the opposite in shooting aperture priority fully wide.. I figured if your going to control one thing, make sure its to maximise the light gathering.. I could understand bracketing the shutter to only handheld speeds (I end up with a lot of blurry shots to discard) but I am confused why you would lock in anything less than your best handheld ability as a shutter speed.. Throw me a bone and help me understand that aspect ??

    Mostly I want to get in the habit of carrying the kit more.. Thats my main takeaway from a few things going through my head lately.. Taking shots, 100's and 1000's of them is what I need to do..
    Funny, I was thinking the exact same thing. I noticed Jim's quote also so I started trying shutter priority (was not real sure either of why).

    I started trying it tho and I have noticed that my camera will generally keep the aperture wide open shooting in shutter priority out in the dark. It then becomes a trade off of ISO and shutter speed and you can basically dial in whatever you want (if it is possible to still properly expose) by simply adjusting the shutter speed. Don't know if I am doing it right but I have been setting my camera's auto ISO range to 100-12800 shutter priority. Then I get live feedback in the viewfinder on the light condition I am trying to shoot and can trade off shutter speed and ISO, or decide that I should probably not try to take the shot without a tripod (due to shutter speed having to be too low to attain a reasonable ISO). It's basically almost like full manual at that point but it is faster to dial things up. Again, don't now if anything I just said is right, but it's what I have been trying. Would like to hear from Jim on this as well.

  20. #40
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,465
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodger View Post
    Brian I really like both of your photographs, very clear, well focused and set. They really appeal to me because obviously my business interest and also my ace photographer -Duncs, needs things like your pictures for inspiration and I needed them to show him what I've been trying to get him to take for ages!! so a big thanks mate, they've helped a lot!!
    Thanks Bernie!

Page 2 of 44 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •