Page 44 of 44 FirstFirst ... 34424344
Like Tree914Likes

Thread: The Photography Extravaganza Thread

Looking forward to seeing more of this area, and your skills

What a waste of a fantastic looking building...

obes likes this.

The Photography Extravaganza Thread

^Architecture from a bygone era. Looks like it could have been a Ghostbusters-like paranormal field enhancing structure.
    Fun to see this thread getting some love again.

Yes great shots, look forward to seeing more from around the area

It is a crying shame so many of the old, well built, loads of character/superb architecturally designed buildings are decrepit

Bump
    Waharoa, tnlawyer and TLandHim like this.

I like the sea one... admit it, you fell over and then thought.. while I'm here.... 55

And that tent and stars one... did you take a similar night time one a while back?

Amazing the starts you can see when you get away from all the artificial night lighting. That's the main reason I enjoy getting out away from everything.
    Get out there in the game, don't sit up in the bleachers. That is the philosophy of pimps and preachers.

Okay, so this one I am damn proud of. This was taken on the top of Mt. Haleakala on Maui, Hawaii last night.

This is a single exposure selfie.

Quite a bit of planning went into this shot. It started when I realized that we would be having a new moon starting the second day of my planned vacation to Maui. Also, the Perseids meteor shower was also in full swing.

The summit of Haleakala, and extinct volcano on Maui is 10,000 ft and one of the best places on earth to photograph the stars. There is a large science station run by the Air Force on the summit called Science City which contains a bunch of huge telescopes. My original intention was to photograph the milky way with the telescopes in the foreground, however, this was not all that interesting to me as this is sort of a standard shot at this location and I assumed there would be a bunch of people there. (there was) There is also no way to "light" the telescopes as I am pretty sure the Air Force would frown on someone light painting their multi-million dollar telescopes with flashlights. 55555

So a few months ago I was looking on google maps at the summit and spotted some large radio antennas that look like the support the telescope complex down a service road that is closed to cars. IT would be about a mile hike in that I would have to do alone at night, but I figured I could get up close to these and nobody would likely be around. This turned out to be correct. After doing some standard shots of the telescope complex from the summit parking lot along with everyone else, I headed out the service road with a small headlamp and after walking for about 20 minutes in total darkness the first RF antenna came into view.

Had to climb up the mountain and setup the camera in the rocks to get the right angle and composition.

Rented the new Sigma Art 14mm f1.8 lens before the trip anticipating this shot.

This was shot in a single exposure using a 10 second timer. This was shot at f2.2 15sec ISO3200. After triggering the timer, ran into position and held up a small LED flashlight with a focused head. Stayed as still as possible for 15sec.

The green beam in the sky is the focusing assist laser from one of the large telescopes back at the summit 1 mile or so away. Just happened to be firing during the 15 sec exposure.

This was exactly the shot I has wanted to execute when looking at the location on the map. Really stoked how this came out. Glad I didn't lose my nerve walking to the site.

Last edited by kuhio; 12th August 2018 at 15:32.
    dawsey likes this.

That is pretty cool... like some sort of alien-human lighting up the milky way with your torch...
    Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, just as it is the spirit of a spiritless situation. It is the opium of the people.

Nice.
    You have something similar without the laser?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    Nice.
    You have something similar without the laser?
    Sure, here is some more from that night:

Last one with no green laser.
    Waharoa, Tarzan, tnlawyer and 1 others like this.

Very nice shots....excellent in fact

I prefer the ones without the laser/light gowing skywards.

Quote Originally Posted by kuhio View Post
    Sure, here is some more from that night:

Last one with no green laser.
    Very nice pics.

Page 44 of 44 FirstFirst ... 34424344