Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Steve@thaib
  • 1 Post By BroTiger
  • 1 Post By Steve@thaib
  • 1 Post By Pablo

Thread: US Open Golf

US Open Golf

Just listened to Butch Harmon absolutely slaughter the greens at the US open, said they were worse than temporary greens at a municipal. Seems a very odd choice for such a prestigous and important tournament.

McIlroy seemed to be really not at the races yesterday whilst Dustin Johnson seems to be in great order after his layoff; looks like boning the other players' wives and a taste for the Colombian marching powder might not be as bad for athletic prowess as I thought.
    Pablo likes this.

I love the course... great setting... great landscape... great hole design.... its just a shame the greens are a mess....

Quote Originally Posted by Steve@thaib View Post
    ....Dustin Johnson seems to be in great order after his layoff; looks like boning the other players' wives and a taste for the Colombian marching powder might not be as bad for athletic prowess as I thought.
    I still maintain that the downfall of Tiger Woods, was due to his "fallout" with Elin, and the abrupt change in his philandering life style.

Quote Originally Posted by Waharoa View Post
    I love the course... great setting... great landscape... great hole design.... its just a shame the greens are a mess....
    What, the greens aren't green enough for ya? 55
    Looks like the course has been in water conservation mode. The Cascades didn't get much of a snow pack last winter. Eastern Washington is under even more severe water conservation measures.
    Waharoa likes this.

They should have looked at the greens over the last few weeks and realised they were cabbage patches. With the number of brilliant golf courses available in the US, plenty of them in pristine condition and ready to host a big event, it's hard to see why they didn't pull the pin and take the tournament somewhere else. Funky or quirky design is fine but when you watch two foot putts bobbling offline it kind of makes you think WTF. If our greens were like that the keeper would be fired and they would all be re-laid through the winter.
    Waharoa likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
    I still maintain that the downfall of Tiger Woods, was due to his "fallout" with Elin, and the abrupt change in his philandering life style.
    I'm a bit of an admirer these days, the guy just won't quit and it must be humiliating for him when he shoots 80 and misses a cut. That said, I'm pleased that he won't be beating Nicklaus's record for majors. As the face of golf and an ambassador for the game Nicklaus, to me, is peerless and I hope he's never replaced.

Wow, Rory McIlroy tearing it up on the last day, 6 under through 14. Don't think he can possibly win it starting from 8 shots back but he's giving it a right old crack; great golf.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve@thaib View Post
    I'm a bit of an admirer these days, the guy just won't quit and it must be humiliating for him when he shoots 80 and misses a cut. That said, I'm pleased that he won't be beating Nicklaus's record for majors. As the face of golf and an ambassador for the game Nicklaus, to me, is peerless and I hope he's never replaced.
    I've always been an admirer of Tiger Woods.

Especially after one day, many moons ago, in my home town. I had the opportunity to meet him (socially) on two occasions...we liked the same restaurant and were both friends of the manager. 555

Tiger used to hang out in Las Vegas a lot, and was involved with"swing guru" Butch Harmon.

Then one day, his Stanford teammate (and close friend) Notah BegayIII was in town and scheduled to tee it up at a local course, trying to make the cut in a regional qualifier for that year's U.S. Open. Tiger, who was then #1 in the world, showed up unannounced and offered to caddy for his pal. He did...toted his bag for 18 holes, while offering support for his friend. (Unannounced and trying to keep it low profile, it made the next days local paper)

That convinced me, that regardless of what was being hyped in the media about him...that Tiger did indeed have "jai dee".

As for his philandering and marital fallout, he's not the first sports star to succumb to the temptations.

I think he should ditch the Bhudda, go back to his old swing, and start partying again....obviously suffering from the old Hawaiian malady "lak oh nooki". 555
    Steve@thaib likes this.

DJ 3 putted from 12 feet on the last to hand it to Spieth; looks like divine intervention to me

That was absolutely unreal. Talk about pressure: back nine on any major on Sunday. Spieth looked like he aged 5 yrs. Gotta feel bad for Dustin. That was sure some high drama.
    The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.