Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: The ashes

The ashes

starts in less than an hour,getting quite excited about it.

England are doing ok now after the disastrous start we had we had.. I think we were 43-3 at one stage, then Mr Root came in and steady the ship. I hope it's going to be a good series.

I think this series will be a bit more evenly matched than the last Ashes in Oz. The batting looks pretty equal but the Aussies appear to have a better bowling line up to me.
    Nice green pitches and overcast weather may cause a surprise or two, though I suspect the Aussie will keep the urn.
    RIP Nicke June 1971 - Jan 2013.

AT SOME POINT IN LIFE, EVERYONE HAS GAMBLED ON A FART AND LOST.

Good to see Kevin Pietersen sticking to form and backing the Aussies

Quote Originally Posted by Thin White Duke View Post
    Good to see Kevin Pietersen sticking to form and backing the Aussies
    So has Michael Vaughan... in fact so have most of the ex England players... at least before the series started.... 55

fairly even at stumps d3

Once again Aus will rely on the tail to wag. We have to have the best tail end batting in the world at the moment, but geez they are being used a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by snowy View Post
    fairly even at stumps d3
    Day 2 Snowy.
    Close of play on Day 3 Australia set an improbable 412 to win. Excellent day for England. Australia's best hope is the weather which is supposed to be poor on Sunday.

good england display ,aussies out for about 300 tommorrow

Quote Originally Posted by steve w View Post
    good england display ,aussies out for about 300 tommorrow
    Pretty good guess Sateve. England surprised me by the positive way they played. Just like the short series against the Kiwis, they have carried on in the same vein and its working.

But..........enjoy this win. The Aussies will be back. The cannot bat and bowl as badly again surely. There will be changes in the Aussie side. I feel Watson has played his final test, so bad is his technique against our bowlers. Will Mitchell Starc be fit enough for Lords? He was their best bowler and would be a big loss even with Siddle as back up.
    As for England, carry on playing positive cricket. It seems to be working for us now.

Quote Originally Posted by dawsey View Post
    Pretty good guess Sateve. England surprised me by the positive way they played. Just like the short series against the Kiwis, they have carried on in the same vein and its working.

But..........enjoy this win. The Aussies will be back. The cannot bat and bowl as badly again surely. There will be changes in the Aussie side. I feel Watson has played his final test, so bad is his technique against our bowlers. Will Mitchell Starc be fit enough for Lords? He was their best bowler and would be a big loss even with Siddle as back up.
    As for England, carry on playing positive cricket. It seems to be working for us now.
    I feel Watson should have already played his final test, he must have pictures of a selector fucking a goat, how this bloke stay/has stayed around is beyond me.

Well done England, should be a good series.

Unfortunately I don't get any coverage....but looks like a good all round win to England. Well done to them.

It's up to Australia now to see if they can lift from this and fight back. Will be interesting.

mitchell johnson complained about england sledging him when he got out 5555555555555555

Quote Originally Posted by Homer View Post
    Unfortunately I don't get any coverage....but looks like a good all round win to England. Well done to them.

It's up to Australia now to see if they can lift from this and fight back. Will be interesting.
    No coverage mate, why is that??, no HD??

bit of a difference this time...second test....day one...AUS 337/1..two century makers still at the crease to come out fresh tomorrow

^ Winning the toss was such an advantage. Another slow wicket and a batsman's paradise. Best England can hope for is a draw. Rain a big possibility Sunday.
    Can't take away a very good Aussie performance so far though.

Quote Originally Posted by snowy View Post
    No coverage mate, why is that??, no HD??
    Yes unfortunately satellite foxtel only with no HD. Don't get the secondary free to air channels like Gem and 7mate etc....my loss.

I think I've mentioned before Dawsey that generally the team batting first has an advantage in any test...at least winning the toss. Others argue differently though. Stats are inconclusive but I bet every fan grimaces when their team loses the toss and have to bowl first/bat last.

It seems the pitches are being prepared as slow and low as expected. It will even up the contest but Anderson and Broad must also be groaning. They can win a game on normal pitches against any attack.

I don't think England has been looking closely enough at Johnson's form. Starc is a tearaway at the moment, but Johnson hasn't been the demon he was when the sides last met.

^ Given a decent wicket, Johnson will come good. Thing is, so will Broad and Wood benefit.
    You're right though, slow pitches have been prepared and England don't have a top spinner! Lyon will do better than Moeen Ali.

Rogers finally gone for 173 and Clarke failed again with a rash hook for 7. Smith looks immovable on 168 no.
    Another long day for England I fancy.

Smith got his double....Australia knocking on the door of declaring for around 600 runs probably 6-8 overs after tea...Broad had a cracking spell leading up to tea there and showed there is some life if you put you back in and bowl a good length...he was well rewarded with 3 wickets off not so many runs...by far and away England's best bowler

will be interesting to watch AUS have a crack at the top order for 25+ overs after a declaration in maybe an hour (after tea)...possibly even under that if they get to the 600 mark or lose their last 3 wickets having a bash at it

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast