Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Test Cricket

Test Cricket

Whilst the Aussies are hammering the WI's in Oz, England have started their 4 test match tour of SA with a very good win.

SA, although top of the rankings are in a false position. Losing heavily to India, they are another side in transition and need time. I can see a series win for England which is big progress for a side with a few new faces.
    RIP Nicke June 1971 - Jan 2013.

AT SOME POINT IN LIFE, EVERYONE HAS GAMBLED ON A FART AND LOST.

Yeah SA looking exposed.

De Villiers being asked too much by having to wear the gloves as well.....apparently got back problems.

Steyn injured.

Saying that and the English looking quite solid.

Crickets ratings system is a joke...it rewards teams too heavily who get to play more matches and are playing at home....

If a team can win on the sub-continent or other away venues (like SA for example) they should get more points than winning a match at home imo

Home wickets are also a major concern for me in cricket...so good on England for winning that one....but the doctored pitches they arranged then put up for the last ashes series after looking shaky in the first test were tantamount to cheating imo...all countries do it...some just more obviously and with two fingers stuck upwards than others...so not just singling england out here...just the latest bad example I noticed

That and cheating/match fixing has ruined any real interest in the game I once had...
    Last edited by nelsonone; 31st December 2015 at 00:57.
    Homer likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by nelsonone View Post
    Crickets ratings system is a joke...it rewards teams too heavily who get to play more matches and are playing at home....

If a team can win on the sub-continent or other away venues (like SA for example) they should get more points than winning a match at home imo

Home wickets are also a major concern for me in cricket...so good on England for winning that one....but the doctored pitches they arranged then put up for the last ashes series after looking shaky in the first test were tantamount to cheating imo...all countries do it...some just more obviously and with two fingers stuck upwards than others...so not just singling england out here...just the latest bad example I noticed

That and cheating/match fixing has ruined any real interest in the game I once had...
    I agree with all of that except the match fixing bit. Not that it doesn't go on, or hasn't gone on, just not so much of a concern for me...still love cricket.

While we're Pommy bashing they also won a previous ashes series at home (when coached by 'Fletch') with the assistance of clever (but technically illegal) ball manipulation/tampering. While there has always been cries of "no proof" it is well known and now laughed about in test cricket circles.

In all seriousness, well done to England. SA can be a difficult place to win and are always a tough side even if they are maybe a little on the wane. Chris Broad has always been something of an enigma to me. Unstoppable match winner and an also ran being hit around the park at other times. Probably more to do with fitness/injury than anything I guess as he's always looked quality to me when in form.
    Probably a little Mitchell Johnson like...

The Kiwis are going OK against Sri Lanka as well. Always had the utmost respect for NZ. Such a cricketing minnow in terms of population etc, but always the toughest grit and determination...not to mention spirit of the game.

watched a doc today about reverse swing,akram and waqar were impossible to play at times,ball tampering was mentioned,but any good fast bowler seems to have the trick up there sleeve now,simon jones was the first for england,but anderson has got it to an art now,and mitch jonhson and steyn (pity he is injured,might even the contest up a bit) do it as well

Funny you mention the reverse swing. I and many people were under the impression that Imran started it, or invented it if you will, however I saw an interview with Max Walker where he spoke about it being the making of him as a bowler and how an "old bloke" (can't remember the name now unfortunately) taught him how to do it when he was a youngster...way before Imran was on the scene.

The sooner they introduce the Duke ball as the control ball for all test cricket the better IMO. We seem to have all sorts of problems with the Kookaburra's over here and replace the ball up to twice - or more in an 80 over lifespan due to degradation and going out of round etc.
    It also has quite significantly different characteristics with swing and reverse swing which doesn't offer real parity in the test arena when teams are playing with different balls on different continents that may or may not favour certain bowlers, or at least the side that regularly plays with a particular ball when at home.

Probably not a biggie, but I always look forward to ashes tests in the UK due to the Duke ball. That was somewhat reduced last series when the groundsmen produced third grade standard wickets 55

Should help if the trialled "no toss" works out... with visiting teams choosing whether to bowl first... help make tailored wickets less advantageous...

It will be interesting to see if that has any effect. All I can see is more batsman friendly pitches which to me is part of the larger issue with cricket today.
    It's actually what England curators did in that last series that made it somewhat of a farce.
    Negate the fear factor somewhat and reduce it to a swing bowling and eventual last day spin contest?
    Rarely will you ever see a team voluntarily choose to field...IMO

Carnage going on down at Newlands.

SA getting a serious caning.

Beautiful ground and setting are the only positives I can think of at the moment.

Well played England that is a cracking first innings.

FFS amateur hour

I really enjoyed the Test and particularly SA's fight back obviously.But man did dropped catches cost England otherwise would have walked away 2-0.....such is cricket

Wanderer's up here in Joburg is going to be interesting.

Extreme temperatures all over SA at the moment....35+
    Last edited by Thin White Duke; 6th January 2016 at 22:49.

England quite fortunate to draw that one! HTF can we score 600+ runs and be fighting to save a match?
    SA came back really well and if Steyn is fit for Jo'burg, England's rookie batsmen could struggle. After all the guys tried, we still don't have a cast iron opener to join Cook.

Actually Rog your side is impressive and I especially like Cook as Captain...lots of smiles.

Just gotta hold ya catches

Yep, too many spilled catches won't win matches.

Great day of cricket for the fans in Jo'burg today. England bowling SA out for 83 on a decent pitch should give them the series win. Superb bowling from Broad with 6 -17 and some stunning catches this time.

Just up the road from me.

Very disappointing from SA to lose the series.Lot of rebuilding to do.

Broad was a sensation.

Got a lot of time for Alastair Cook as Captain.First away Test win for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Thin White Duke View Post
    Got a lot of time for Alastair Cook as Captain.First away Test win for him.
    That's not correct. He has won away test series before. His first series as captain was an away series won in India...

Ok congrats for the second one then.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast