Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Rugby Tests

Rugby Tests

Very impressed with England, though why they had to give the Wallabies a 10 point start I will never know.

I like Eddie Jones a bit more each time he opens his mouth, and the guy always seems to have a smile on his face. How good was it to hear him sticking up for Ford after the Wales game? Totally vindicated with that pass today!

Wales got done in the last 20 min but very impressive up to that point.
    Stillearly likes this.

Eddie has won 7 for 7...beaten AUS at home (his home too) and has a 6 Nations Grand Slam under his belt with England so far..why wouldn't he be smiling...just goes to show that England can play rugby with a decent coach and man manager...555

AUS scored more tries but gave away millions of penalties in doing so....and you can't allow Farrell shots at goal from anywhere...was a pretty close match up in many ways
    Last edited by nelsonone; 11th June 2016 at 21:55.

I have half an eye on the Lions tour for next year, Eddie Jones must be putting himself into people's minds for that a bit more each time England win.

Haskell and Robshaw were both brilliant today, not what we have come to expect from English flankers at all. Also going for that last try instead of putting the ball into touch was quite un-English but very good to see. Next week will be interesting.

It was a mainly good day for NH sides against their SH counterparts I thought.
    As expected, Wales tried, but as always the AB's stepped up a gear in the last 20 mins and blew Wales away. I don't see Wales playing any better either, whereas the AB's looked a bit rusty first half but will kick on from today.

England impressed after a bad first 15mins. I wondered how on earth we went in at half time in front because the Aussies looked dangerous with ball in hand. It was their poor discipline that let us back in and we took our chances well. Itoje, Ford, Farrell, Haskell and Robshaw all played very well.
    Winning that first match sets up the series nicely. Aus mu win next week in Melbourne and will want to improve their scrum and penalty count. England will make changes. Burrell was caught out in defence and EJ made a clever decision to sub him for Ford after 30mins. He won't start next week and I expect Nowell to come in for Yarde and possibly Launchbury for Kruis.

England are on the up and that is mainly down to Eddie Jones and his new coaching staff. The current squad contains many of the players thrashed by Australia only last October. They have won every match since.

Didn't see SA v Ire, but it was a great result to go there and beat the Saffas on their own patch with 14 men for most of the match.

England Saxons had a well deserved win against SA A team last night too. A few players put their hands up for the 1st team squad.
    Waharoa likes this.
    RIP Nicke June 1971 - Jan 2013.

AT SOME POINT IN LIFE, EVERYONE HAS GAMBLED ON A FART AND LOST.

The England back line is interesting isn't it? That inside centre spot is the one that nobody has nailed down, we've needed a ball player there and always seem to come up with a very direct arm wrestler instead. I wonder how Henry Slade feels watching Owen Farell play out of position there? I don't know a lot about Slade but thought he put his hand up quite well before the world cup, much like Cipriani ( who shone last night for the Saxons ).

Ford and Farell look like a very good pairing to me and maybe that's the way forward? Farell is a very strong defender and Ford has a really great passing game so maybe the traditional 'crash and bash' inside centre role just needs to be looked at differently now? We lost nothing in defense by having Farell there.

Nowell must be wondering what he has to do to get his starting place nailed down but didn't he take his chance well when it was put in front of him? I thought Yarde did well, particularly with strong covering tackles, but have to agree that Nowell is the pick of the two of them. Not much in it though.

I think Launchberry missed out to accommodate Itoje and he's been a revelation. For me Robshaw was the most vulnerable there, Launchberry at lock and Itoje on the flank, but Robshaw played really well today and I thought he deserved his start; him and Haskell were immense.

It's good to see that we have options and the result was brilliant. A series win in Australia would be a real statement and after the the shambles of the world cup even thinking about a series win is very welcome.

Wales will get flogged now that NZ have worked the kinks out, that was Wales' big opportunity.

I didn't even know that Ireland had won; kudos to them for that because not many go to South Africa and win.

dawsey and Joeguevara like this.
    'If it floats, flies or fcuks , it's cheaper to rent"

Henry Slade needs to be in the mix somewhere... he is a classy player....

Link to the youtube vid of the Ireland red card. Looks harsh to me but the Springbok 10 gets properly clattered.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFO7JSvDGjk

Quote Originally Posted by Waharoa View Post
    Henry Slade needs to be in the mix somewhere... he is a classy player....
    Is he with the Saxons in SA? Not sure if he's being considered at all. I guess his 'problem' is that he's not a traditional English lumpy centre.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve@thaib View Post
    Is he with the Saxons in SA? Not sure if he's being considered at all. I guess his 'problem' is that he's not a traditional English lumpy centre.
    He is in Australia as part of the main squad....

Quote Originally Posted by Waharoa View Post
    He is in Australia as part of the main squad....
    I can't see Farell or Ford not being picked so, barring injury, he's going to struggle isn't he? Unless the 3rd test is a dead rubber maybe he gets a run then...

I can't see Farell or Ford not being picked so, barring injury, he's going to struggle isn't he? Unless the 3rd test is a dead rubber maybe he gets a run then...
    I think Eddie Jones would love Ford to kick the same percentage as Farrell as Farrell is a liability on attack. But Ford doesn't look like he will ever be that good percentage wise... A Ford, Slade axis would produce so much more for England... I wonder... how good a kicker is Slade?
    nelsonone likes this.

I don't see how you drop Farell. He seems fearless in defence and his goal kicking is very good. Ford has great hands but can't kick. Farell has to stay so maybe him at 10 and Slade inside? Then again, why would you change a winning team?

I don't see how you drop Farell. He seems fearless in defence and his goal kicking is very good. Ford has great hands but can't kick. Farell has to stay so maybe him at 10 and Slade inside? Then again, why would you change a winning team?
    ...The All Blacks change a winning team quite often.... but I am not sure how to fix the Farrell conundrum. He is solid on defence... but put it this way, if he was a Kiwi he wouldn't get anywhere near the All Black side despite his kicking percentages... whereas Slade would... and Ford made a huge difference on attack when he came on.

Wow, how's that? Aus 7 England 23, awesome scoreline. Robshaw and Haskell both massive and how about the dancing feet of Jamie George.
    dawsey likes this.

What a turnaround for this England side. Only 8 months and 8 matches ago we were a laughing stock and SL rightly lost his job. Eddie Jones has been a revelation along with the change in backroom coaches we are playing some good rugby and getting the results.
    The defence today was up there with some of the best I've seen since the 2003 side. Australia went out today and played all the attacking rugby but couldn't break through. I did think we got the rub of the green with some of the decisions but its like that some days. Still some infuriating kicking out of defence straight to the opposition and back it came again, but hell I enjoyed it!
    The bench too played a great part and its truly a 23 man game now. Haskell again magnificent along with Robshaw, Hartley, Cole and Billy V. Ford and Farrell have nailed down the 10/12 for now.

What a pity EJ wasn't recruited 2 years ago. A few of this side won't be around for the RWC but the future is bright.
    Just hoping we can make it 3 -0 next Saturday. Anything is possible after today.
    kris-one and nelsonone like this.

Quote Originally Posted by dawsey View Post
    What a pity EJ wasn't recruited 2 years ago. A few of this side won't be around for the RWC but the future is bright.
    Just hoping we can make it 3 -0 next Saturday. Anything is possible after today.
    Maybe we needed what we had to appreciate what we've got?

I think a lot of the culture shift was done by the Lancaster regime in all fairness, he brought some real decency after the shambles of Martin Johnson. Eddie Jones has brought something else though and turned them into winners; they were just brilliant today. How some of them played for 80min at that pace, defending that hard, I will never understand.

We shouldn't get too carried away I guess, but they are starting to look like a team that expects to win and we haven't seen that in a while. I hated the idea of a foreign coach initially but, jeez, I'm definitely warming to the concept now!

Good come back from the Boks yesterday.

I like our new coach Alistair Coetzee. Especially when he correctly bought on his impact players....all from the Lions.

Oh and did I mention....Matthew Proudfoot and I share the same High School.....two years apart.

I guess with his results we can conclude that Eddie Jones is the best coach out there.

England were on fire.

Quote Originally Posted by Thin White Duke View Post
    Good come back from the Boks yesterday.

I like our new coach Alistair Coetzee. Especially when he correctly bought on his impact players....all from the Lions.

Oh and did I mention....Matthew Proudfoot and I share the same High School.....two years apart.
    That was a good win for the Saffas. To come back from 26- 10 down was impressive. Last weeks loss was a wake up call.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast