Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By Steve@thaib
  • 1 Post By Loop

Thread: Mike Hailwood v Phil Read 1978

Mike Hailwood v Phil Read 1978

When men were men and leathers were thin. Gives me goosebumps watching this. I raced at Mallory around 1984 and felt that I was in the footsteps of giants; racing history everwhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LnNP7mw7XY

And how about Barry Sheene giving Kevin Schwantz his first real start? Mallory park too. Seriously nostalging tonight.

I remember that Aussie Paul Lewis, used to call him the Angry Ant; bonkers.
    Last edited by Steve@thaib; 19th June 2016 at 08:25.
    LivinLOS, dawsey and Loop like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve@thaib View Post
    I remember that Aussie Paul Lewis, used to call him the Angry Ant; bonkers.
    i was at Silverstone for the '86 GP run in atrocious conditions.
    the 500 race had to be restarted as there was a crash at the first corner as the angry ant had come unstuck on the slippery surface and broken both his legs.
    knowing his radical-take no prisoners style only too well, just thought he'd contributed big time some how.
    was chatting to him earlier this year on FB group of aussie bike racers that i'd joined and asked him about the incident.
    he told me that Eddie Lawson had run over both his feet/ankles as he slid along the track and had broken many bones in them.

amazing that through social media i finally got to find out what happened 30 years after the event!
    bike racing was just starting it's golden era then! love the old clips that are still around.

Steve@thaib likes this.