Results 1 to 20 of 20
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By snowy
  • 1 Post By nelsonone
  • 1 Post By nelsonone
  • 1 Post By Steve@thaib
  • 1 Post By Steve@thaib

Thread: Lions Tour

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    2,238

    Lions Tour

    I'm thinking about the Lions tour in New Zealand next year, a lions test match is on my bucket list.

    Anyone know what getting match tickets is going to be like? I won't go on one of the seriously expensive organised group tours from here and that seems to be the best way to get tickets.

    Any experiences?

  2. #2
    Senior Member nelsonone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    2,862
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve@thaib View Post
    I'm thinking about the Lions tour in New Zealand next year, a lions test match is on my bucket list.

    Anyone know what getting match tickets is going to be like? I won't go on one of the seriously expensive organised group tours from here and that seems to be the best way to get tickets.

    Any experiences?
    Locally they are very hard to get without buying a season package or knowing someone connected (like a sponsor)...and even then they still can be difficult to get your hands

    Your mate in NZ is probably your best shot if you don't want to join a tour...

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    2,238
    Thanks Nels. Kinda what I was thinking, if we are going to be able to get tickets it will most likely be over there rather than here.

    Lots of the tours are already sold out so I can see the demand is high.

  4. #4
    Senior Member briofoz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    290
    Consider buying a seat or 2 in a Corporate Box. Some boxes have a mix of businesses. I bought 2 tickets this way for a Test in Sydney v All Blacks. Wasn't cheap I think $900 each, but was a great night. Included a pre game dinner with speeches (Ewan McKenzie and Stu Wilson)

  5. #5
    Senior Member briofoz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    290
    Could nearly be Tax deductable if you came down under to retie links to the Commonwealth....

    Williment Travel does a lot of the Rugby stuff in NZ. Mick Williment, ex All Black and now deceased, started the biz.
    Last edited by briofoz; 26th June 2016 at 22:47.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    2,238
    Quote Originally Posted by briofoz View Post
    Consider buying a seat or 2 in a Corporate Box. Some boxes have a mix of businesses. I bought 2 tickets this way for a Test in Sydney v All Blacks. Wasn't cheap I think $900 each, but was a great night. Included a pre game dinner with speeches (Ewan McKenzie and Stu Wilson)
    That's not a bad idea at all. I don't mind paying good money because it's going to be a one off.

    I've been trying to persuade accountants for years that my trips should be tax deductible on the grounds that they're market research

  7. #7
    Super Moderator dawsey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    2,222
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve@thaib View Post

    I've been trying to persuade accountants for years that my trips should be tax deductible on the grounds that they're market research
    555 Good luck trying to persuade HMC to your way of thinking Steve.
    RIP Nicke June 1971 - Jan 2013.

    AT SOME POINT IN LIFE, EVERYONE HAS GAMBLED ON A FART AND LOST.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    373
    I ran a pub on the Gold Coast years ago, there was a Lions tour match in Brisbane, I remember those supporters as being the best type of customers one could hope for, just a ton of fun loving people.

    Would have been even better if I could understand what the Welsh blokes were saying though. 55

    I reckon if you do it Steve, it would be something you would never forget (or regret paying decent dough for), enjoy.
    nelsonone likes this.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    2,238
    I might have had a bit of a bite on hospitality so will report back, feeling quite hopeful this morning.

    Lions tours always look amazing, I would love to see a Lions game and if you're only ever going to see one it wants to be in New Zealand I think.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    373
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve@thaib View Post
    I might have had a bit of a bite on hospitality so will report back, feeling quite hopeful this morning.

    Lions tours always look amazing, I would love to see a Lions game and if you're only ever going to see one it wants to be in New Zealand I think.
    Whats wrong with Aus ya git 555.

    If you're ever here mate, there's always a place for beer and a good time, depends where where we are at the time, but probably a bed also.

  11. #11
    Senior Member nelsonone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    2,862
    I've seen 2 complete Lions Tours each in AUS and NZ...and always fancied a trip to SA to watch a series there....still might do that one day

    For me they are the best sporting bonhomie events I have ever attended both in and outside the grounds..always cheering and supporting the teams but never a harsh word spoken...Its not often you go to pregame dinners, drinks, talks etc with opposition fans and come out having met new friends...some lifelong friends

    They are brilliant...so do all you can to get a hold of tickets mate...its something you will remember and enjoy for the rest of your life
    kris-one likes this.

  12. #12
    Senior Member nelsonone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    2,862
    One such memory...during the last series in NZ I hosted an afternoon party for about a dozen Irish Lions supporters in my home with an Irish mate of mine who lived in NZ (RIP James old mate)...we put on a BBQ, Buffet and wine/beer....about 20 turned up but that was fine...everyone had a ball and we had plenty of food and booze....they kept calling their mates so by the end there was about 50 guys from various parts of the UK and Ireland singing songs, cracking jokes, cheering and laughing like there was no tomorrow..it was almost a shame that we had to go to the game...but we did...and it was brilliant...and then we all went back to Jame's house afterwards and started it all over again...I think I got home just as the sun was rising the next morning...555
    Waharoa likes this.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    2,238
    Quote Originally Posted by snowy View Post
    Whats wrong with Aus ya git 555.

    If you're ever here mate, there's always a place for beer and a good time, depends where where we are at the time, but probably a bed also.
    Ha ha, Oz would be my next pick; honest I've never been to New Zealand though so Lions and NZ would be massive ticks off the bucket list for me. The idea would be to go home via Australia and Thailand so there would be an Australia leg to the trip.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    2,238
    Quote Originally Posted by nelsonone View Post
    One such memory...during the last series in NZ I hosted an afternoon party for about a dozen Irish Lions supporters in my home with an Irish mate of mine who lived in NZ (RIP James old mate)...we put on a BBQ, Buffet and wine/beer....about 20 turned up but that was fine...everyone had a ball and we had plenty of food and booze....they kept calling their mates so by the end there was about 50 guys from various parts of the UK and Ireland singing songs, cracking jokes, cheering and laughing like there was no tomorrow..it was almost a shame that we had to go to the game...but we did...and it was brilliant...and then we all went back to Jame's house afterwards and started it all over again...I think I got home just as the sun was rising the next morning...555
    I was just talking to the boy about events that you remember. I took him to Murrayfield to watch Scotland v England and it was brilliant, such a great atmosphere around the ground and the pipers on the roof before the game. That's something I will always remember, the Lions would surely be a step up from even that so I would be super excited to get a chance to go.

    I've had an e-mail that was pretty positive so there may be a chance, we will know over the next few weeks as the deals become available.

    Two full tours must be something else; one test match and I would die a happy man
    nelsonone likes this.

  15. #15

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    2,238
    ^ Looks like they have taken a reasonable view of the pricing structure to me; they aren't taking the piss and they probably could have.

  17. #17
    Senior Member nelsonone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    2,862
    ^ affordable.....but its just getting your hands on one as I said earlier...after affiliated folks (Club allocations, season ticket holders etc) get their grab first

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    2,238
    I can see it won't be easy but I'm hopeful. If we can get tickets then I will build a trip round it, if not it will be on the TV And, hey, someone has to get tickets right?
    nelsonone likes this.

  19. #19
    Senior Member briofoz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    290
    I have never not got a ticket to a game I wanted to see, even going to the gate at the ground and finding many people selling excess tickets (mate too pissed, ill, etc) and are happy to sell at face value. Would be a real punt to travel around the world hoping for one that way but.

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    2,238
    ^ I wouldn't go without a ticket. I will wait a few weeks and see if the hospitality idea bears fruit.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •