Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Stillearly
  • 2 Post By stupscott

Thread: Olympics-Rio 2016

Olympics-Rio 2016

Kicks off August 5th.

Talk from down here Southern tip of Africa is we hope for our best performance.

3 names to watch from us would be Chad le Clos in the pool.....Wayne van Niekerk in the 100m and Caster Semenya in the 800m and maybe the 1500m.

Watching those finely tuned female athletes in action is always an inspiration I find.

Any names you guys wanna throw out there?

Saw both Chads parents are battling cancer at the moment , his Dad Bert became a bit of a star on the BBC during the London games

love watching the track and field events , velodrome , rowing and swimming

stuff like Golf , Tennis , men's football , Basketball should be dumped out of the Games , IMHO an Olympic Gold should be the ultimate achievement for any sport in the Games

Mo Farah , Jessica Ennis Hil , Rutherford , Cav , Laura Trott should all hopefully get Gold
    Waharoa likes this.
    'If it floats, flies or fcuks , it's cheaper to rent"

Yeah can't be easy for Chad.

Will keep a look out for all those names thanks SE

Forgot to mention Rugby 7's but agree it is more about the field and track as well as the swimming pool

Just seen this , Team GB have published the medal targets for Rio

Rio 2016: Great Britain medal target set for Olympics & Paralympics - BBC Sport

Team GB have been set a target of making Rio 2016 their most successful overseas Olympics by winning 48 medals.
    UK Sport has invested 350m of public money into elite sport since 2012 and says it could win as many as 79 medals when the Games begin on 5 August.
    GB finished with 65 medals at London 2012, surpassing its previous best of 47 at the 2008 Beijing Olympics.
    UK Sport wants at least 121 Paralympic medals to beat the London 2012 total, setting the target range as 113-165.
    Paralympics GB won 120 medals (34 gold, 43 silver and 43 bronze) four years ago.
    'If it floats, flies or fcuks , it's cheaper to rent"

Apparently our goal is 10 medals.

Personally I find that very weak.

We seem to only have only one real chance at medal this year, which is disappointing. Watching the women's handball (yes, handball 555) tournament is usually hugely entertaining though...

Quote Originally Posted by Stillearly View Post
    love watching the track and field events , velodrome , rowing and swimming

stuff like Golf , Tennis , men's football , Basketball should be dumped out of the Games , IMHO an Olympic Gold should be the ultimate achievement for any sport in the Games
    Agree with all of that. With all the problems before the Olympics even start in Rio, I hope the even takes place without any incidents. I won't hold my breath though.
    RIP Nicke June 1971 - Jan 2013.

AT SOME POINT IN LIFE, EVERYONE HAS GAMBLED ON A FART AND LOST.

Saw a great documentary on the making of the opening ceremony in London on BBC last night, unbelievable how it was organised. Be hard to see even Rio topping that.

^Yeah I caught that too, it was very interesting hearing how it came about and how it was pieced together, but like they said, they couldn't 'better' Beijings opening ceremony, only do a different OC.

I think the London OC was better because the story told meant something to us and we understood it all, to a Chinaman? I bet he'd rate theirs better. The Brazilians will do just as good a job just differently, and they'll have hotter birds than we did.

I agree....expect it to be fine.