Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Premiership Football 2013/2014

Premiership Football 2013/2014

Mohamed Al Fayed has sold Fulham.

Been a great owner for them.

Hopefully the new guy will get rid of the Michael Jackson statue 555

BBC News - Michael Jackson Fulham FC statue defended by Al Fayed
    'If it floats, flies or fcuks , it's cheaper to rent"

I'm sure Kahn took over with the stipulation that the King of Pop comes with Craven Cottage, 555

i would say the fun is over,its madness

Transfer window analysis: Alvaro Negredo, Edinson Cavani, Marquinhos

As Britain continues to swelter in an unusually lengthy heatwave, transfer activity too is hotting up. While the saga of Wayne Rooney's future continues to provide headlines as sizzling as the weather, the international market is about to reach boiling point.

So much for the predicted cautious spending due to financial fair play (FFP) regulation; hands are being shaken over eight-figure fees on a weekly basis. In England, some clubs, such as Arsenal, are still sitting quietly, while other title contenders – Manchester United and Chelsea to name two – are slowly starting to show real intent.
    When it comes to the business end of the market, Manchester City are again contributing heavily towards football's very own quantitative easing by signing up high-cost players from Mediterranean clubs in need of cash. With the Sevilla centre-forward Alvaro Negredo joining the club in a reported £20m deal and Fiorentina's Stevan Jovetic to put pen to paper imminently, City will have strengthened their squad to the point where they can field two forward lines of practically equal quality.
    Even though Negredo, very much a classic centre-forward, should give Manuel Pellegrini the physical presence, opportunism and aggression that Edin Dzeko often lacked last season, reactions to the signing on the football circuit have been mixed. The pro camp sees a lethal left-footed frontman who has proved himself prolific in one of the world's most competitive leagues for the past three seasons; the pessimistically inclined worry about the adaptation, late in his career, of a soon-to-be 28-year-old to the rough and intense Premier League.
    However, the Spanish international is certainly likely to enjoy enhanced service and supply from Jovetic. The Montenegrin enjoys operating as a deep-lying forward, frequently dropping into midfield and wide areas to look for the ball. Though hardly at his very best last season – and having had his career hampered by a serious injury (torn cruciate ligaments) that kept him out for the whole of the 2010-11 season – the ex-Fiorentina man has been on the shortlist of virtually every European giant. And while Manchester City might eventually miss Carlos Tevez's industry, Jovetic is a refined, stylish second striker, whose vision, silky movement, touch and ability to unlock a rigid defence with a killer pass can resemble a classic "No10" of fine Balkan tradition.
    At a reported £24m, the 23-year-old represents a vast investment even for the affluent Manchester club, but a player of Jovetic's class and calibre can often prove the difference between finishing top or second. This week's double acquisition nudges City's summer spending close to £100m – and raises the question of whether their red neighbours can afford to remain spectators to the buying frenzy for much longer.
    Just as on these shores, there's been no shortage of high-profile transfer action across the channel. Since last week's update, several players who many hoped would grace the football grounds of this country chose to sign for clubs elsewhere.
    Barcelona's Thiago Alcântara, long touted for a move to Manchester United, has joined forces with his former manager Pep Guardiola at Bayern Munich. In a process that, from the outside, rather resembles Borussia Dortmund's "hijacking" of Liverpool target Henrikh Mkhitaryan, the Germans moved swiftly and ruthlessly to wrap up the €20m (£17m) deal for the Barcelona starlet.
    Manchester United's alleged interest never translated into any concrete offer and one was left with the notion that David Moyes remained somewhat unconvinced about the Spain Under-21 captain – which may explain the subsequent bid for another Barcelona man, Cesc Fábregas. One would expect that United have sounded out the interest of the former Arsenal star, though it appears highly unlikely that the Catalans will be prepared to let the midfielder return to the Premier League.
    Another midfielder heavily linked with Manchester United (and several other Premier League clubs), Kevin Strootman, completed an €18m (£15m) move to Serie A underachievers AS Roma earlier this week. Tipped by many as the future captain of Holland, the athletic and tall former PSV player comes close to the description of a complete, modern central midfielder. Whether playing him as a holding or box-to-box midfielder, the Italian club will benefit from the left-footed Dutchman's fine range of passing and creativity, as well as his regimental tactical and defensive discipline.
    The undisputed jewel in the crown of this week's transfer activity is Paris Saint-Germain's capture of Napoli's Edinson Cavani. Ruthless in pursuit of European glory, the Qatari-owned French side paid up Cavani's €64m (£55m) release clause to buy last season's Serie A top marksman out of his contract with Napoli. Not many would have envisaged Cavani and Falcao (a new Monaco recruit) fighting it out for the Ligue 1 top-scorer title. Obviously, the Uruguayan's striking partner, Zlatan Ibrahimovic – last season's top scorer – will throw his hat into the ring as well.
    With the Swede no man to play second fiddle, the Zlatan/Cavani partnership – and the inevitable debates about whether they are compatible if they fail to hit it off from day one – should ensure plenty of entertainment in French football next season.
    The Parisians, incidentally, took the week's spending beyond the €100m mark when they also landed AS Roma centre-back Marquinhos. Despite having just turned 19, the Brazilian is mature, calm and steady on the ball, but the reported €35m (£30m) transfer fee – on today's exchange rate the same as the world record for a defender, paid by Manchester United for Rio Ferdinand – seems fairly high on the back of just one season in European football. The much-coveted France Under-20 left-back Lucas Digne also joined PSG in a €15m (£12.8m) deal from Lille.
    Finally, in Spain, Real Madrid continued their spending spree by paying up the €38m (£32.6m) release clause of Real Sociedad holding midfielder Asier Illarramendi. Isco – the supremely talented Málaga forward/midfielder – is already signed, for a similar amount.
    Illarramendi was the outstanding player of Spain's recent European Under-21 Championship-winning team. A tidy defensive midfielder with excellent vision and positional sense, he is seen as the long-term replacement for another Real Sociedad product, Xabi Alonso.
    Nobody is a social drinker. Everybody drinks to get drunk. I mean, nobody drinks 10 pints of coke in a night

East Fife 4 Forfar 5

BBC News - James Alexander Gordon: The tantalising allure of East Fife 4 Forfar 5

Saturday results will never be the same

I'm going for Chelsea this year........would give me decent odds I guess. Would be fun to see them beat the Manchester teams.
    I'm a Nottingham fan BTW, so my heart is in the Championship.......
    A blowjob is better than no job!!

I'd wait until the end of the transfer season before picking a team to win it Geir, lot can still change with a few last minute buys or not, as a few clubs are finding.
    Custard should be a colour...cos I could then paint over the mess I've just made!!!

Yeah a bit early, still don't get what Chelsea want with Rooney???? He is good, but far from world class IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by geir View Post
    I'm going for Chelsea this year........would give me decent odds I guess. Would be fun to see them beat the Manchester teams.
    I'm a Nottingham fan BTW, so my heart is in the Championship.......
    9/4 favourites
    geir likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by geir View Post
    Yeah a bit early, still don't get what Chelsea want with Rooney???? He is good, but far from world class IMO.
    Well they are light up front, Torres and Ba (also Lukaku or however you spell his name, but he was on loan all last season), not much else if any get injured, in the modern game you do really need 4 strikers. They have a lot of fire power from midfield, bit light in central defence. So Rooney would add energy and goals, playing in behind Torres or alongside Ba. Not many world class strikers available. Rooney also brings publicity, gains supporters worldwide and sells shirts, be a very good buy for them in my opinion.
    Custard should be a colour...cos I could then paint over the mess I've just made!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dodger View Post
    Well they are light up front, Torres and Ba (also Lukaku or however you spell his name, but he was on loan all last season), not much else if any get injured, in the modern game you do really need 4 strikers. They have a lot of fire power from midfield, bit light in central defence. So Rooney would add energy and goals, playing in behind Torres or alongside Ba. Not many world class strikers available. Rooney also brings publicity, gains supporters worldwide and sells shirts, be a very good buy for them in my opinion.
    I think he's on his way down, to full of himself with almost as bad temper as Suarez. I see trouble with Lampard and Therry if he joins.
    Agree they need another striker, but don't think he will fit inn. As you say, not many to choose from these days.

City look the team to beat this season. Spent a lot of money on some decent players, offloaded Tevez who was beginning to look past his best and got themselves a great manager. It will be hard once again to keep the players in the squad happy if they aren't playing. Dzeko is a great player and cannot get many games to what does that tell you.

Looking at the squad, there is an amazing amount of talent there.
    Manchester City - Current squad - transfermarkt.co.uk

Chelsea... I'll wait and see. They really do need another striker and central defender. Terry gets injured a lot and has lost his pace and I'm still to be convinced about Cahill and Luiz. I hope Lukaka gets plenty of chances to play as I like the look of him. He was far too young to be considered 1st team when he arrived, but he looks the part now.
    RIP Nicke June 1971 - Jan 2013.

AT SOME POINT IN LIFE, EVERYONE HAS GAMBLED ON A FART AND LOST.

Agree that City has a better team, so going for Chelsea is more from my heart. Think Luiz is good enough, also scores quite a few goals. Terry and Lampard is getting old, but hopefully they have a couple of good years left...........

The local Kathu Mom & Pops shop have found the best use for a Citeh shirt that i've ever seen!!! 55555

20130805_150630 (Large).jpg

^ What will you do with your Gareth Bale shirt Si? 555
    Levy would be crazy to turn down the sort of money Real are offering for him. That is £25m for a striker, a £25m midfielder and a £25m defender with money left over! Mind you, Real still haven't paid all the money for Modric yet and I wonder if they could raise half of the fee offered up front for Bale anyway5555
    RIP Nicke June 1971 - Jan 2013.

AT SOME POINT IN LIFE, EVERYONE HAS GAMBLED ON A FART AND LOST.

Quote Originally Posted by dawsey View Post
    Put it in the cupboard with his Berbatov one ...

Quote Originally Posted by dawsey View Post
    Levy would be crazy to turn down the sort of money Real are offering for him. That is £25m for a striker, a £25m midfielder and a £25m defender with money left over! Mind you, Real still haven't paid all the money for Modric yet and I wonder if they could raise half of the fee offered up front for Bale anyway5555
    As much as i'd like Bale to stay i wouldn't be disappointed along with most other Spurs fans regarding the deal on the table. The actual deal of 87 mil plus 2 players has been agreed but the problem now lies in the transfer of monies. The other issue i've got which we discussed in the bar at the weekend, is yes, we would have money for 3 other players, but who??? It's not like they are queuing up ready to leave their respective clubs as most are settled in ready to start a new season in next few weeks. So it's good but not as straight forward as folk make out in conversation and the longer it goes on the less likely it is to happen imo. Bale is settled at Spurs but the 2 potential RM players aren't just gonna settle from day one, especially as losing Bale would cause a lull right at the beginning of the new season which could make for a poor season start.

Hand on heart i would like to think the deal will fall through, as i think Bale teamed up with new signings could be a CL qualifying formula. I would say most Spurs fans have belief in Villas Boas after last season albeit not perfect!!

Quote Originally Posted by Stillearly View Post
    Put it in the cupboard with his Berbatov one ...
    Happiest day of my life when that mardy wanker fcuked off from Spurs, never watched such a petulant player always hands on hips when he doesn't get the ball or another team member makes a mistake. Sure he's a talent and can turn round a game with his skill but needs someone to tell him there's no "I" in team, to late now though as he's Championship quality at best...

Anyone heard how Citeh got on last night against Arsenal reserves???

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast