Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Off The Shelf Desktop Recommendations

Off The Shelf Desktop Recommendations

The time has come to replace the laptop with a desktop but as I have never had one I am a bit lost. A quick surf reveals a lot of what seem to be sponsored reviews but nothing is jumping out as the one to get.

Simple question, to narrow the search are there any brands that are best and any to avoid.

I don't need a top end games machine but am looking at mid range performance, i5 processor or there abouts should be enough and a half decent graphics card.

I am guessing you do not plan to self assemble?

Lenovo IdeaCentre B series All in One desktop looks good.

Windows 8
    Intel® Core™ i5-3450s Processor
    (2.8GHz, 6MB Cache)

4GB DDR3
    1TB, 7200 RPM
    BLUERAY RAMBO
    23" Wide LED Full HD screen (Multi-Touch)
    Nvidia GeForce 615 2GB

Thanks Nauti but I wasn't really looking for an all in one, more a box I can tuck out of the way with a monitor and wireless keyboard. It won't be used on a desk more on the sofa in front of the TV so a lightweight monitor I can just perch anywhere is what I need.

Lenovo is one brand that is looking good though.

This isnt going to answer your search at all but some advice you didnt ask for..

Modern desktops all have the power for most normal persons applications (assuming your not editing video or other niche things) and the actual day to day use, I think theres huge value is spending money on the best peripherals and worrying about 'the box' less.. A good 24 inch 1080p screen.. Good quality keyboard and mouse (your using those all the time).. The parts you interact with are often forgotten or low specced on the box package deals to save cash yet make the overall use much nicer. Things like a good, high quality built in memory card reader and many USB ports. To me these kind of things mean a lot more than if its Octo core 4MB FSB cache etc specmanship of sales and performance, I look and my old dual core whatever is running 3% processor use, I simply dont need the major power for normal activity.

I would also have a SSD for the operating system and a large HD or a networked NAS for storage.

As I would spend money in places the boxed packages maybe dont, I would probably have someone build me or build my own box to spec.

^^ Totally agree.

I haven't picked out a monitor yet, just getting started.

I am looking out for a good preferably bluetooth keyboard, this is looking good though a little pricey....

Bluetooth Illuminated Keyboard K810 - Logitech

I have a card reader on my laptop but haven't even bothered to install the drivers after the last Windows reinstall, I never use it.

USB ports, I need 4 minimum.

Hadn't considered an SSD but that is worth thinking about, I have 5 TB of external storage so don't need a big internal HHD, just enough to store stuff short term prior to transfer.

I don't really want to put the time in to design a box, I just need something that is up to date processor wise with a good preferably Nvidia graphics card and of course the option to adapt if i feel the need. Plug in, hide out of the way and forget for a long time is what i am looking for. Good local service is also a consideration.

So Lenovo, Dell, Asus, HP ?? Not keen on Acer stuff having seen too many age prematurely, really not sure of their build quality.

Agree on logitec interface stuff.. Have used them over and over for ages.. Hold up to lots of use and a good mouse (with back thumb buttons and a tilt and click scroll wheel) is essential to me..

SSD for OS, a HD in the desktop for non speed related stuff and a NAS hung on the network (may want to ensure you have a gigabit switch / router / connection between desktop and NAS) solves my storage and network media stuff elegantly.

Maybe you can custom a DELL desktop online?

I'm not sure I would by a desktop box other than for cost saving

A high spec laptop means much more portability. The high spec laptop should have have 1TB Drive, 8GB Ram, Top end graphics card, i5 or preferably i7 processor. Add to this top end HD 23 or 27 inch LED monitor and top end wireless keyboard and mouse (I have the top end Logitech stuff)

Quote Originally Posted by Geespot View Post
    I'm not sure I would by a desktop box other than for cost saving

A high spec laptop means much more portability. The high spec laptop should have have 1TB Drive, 8GB Ram, Top end graphics card, i5 or preferably i7 processor. Add to this top end HD 23 or 27 inch LED monitor and top end wireless keyboard and mouse (I have the top end Logitech stuff)
    This is true and whilst it isn't about saving money, you do get a lot more bang for your buck with a desktop, plus you can add / upgrade if you need to. I have always had laptops but now I have a tablet I don't take my laptop if I move around so a permanent set up to replace my ailing laptop makes more sense.

Quote Originally Posted by soupdragon View Post
    This is true and whilst it isn't about saving money, you do get a lot more bang for your buck with a desktop, plus you can add / upgrade if you need to. I have always had laptops but now I have a tablet I don't take my laptop if I move around so a permanent set up to replace my ailing laptop makes more sense.
    It's funny, I have a tablet I almost never use. I have a laptop for proper working (portability being important with the travel) and my mobile phone (HTC One and Galaxy S4). I've found with that combination I don't use my tablet. I find tablets pretty useless other than for web surfing, reading books and checking emails all which I now find myself doing with my phone

On top of this I've got a very nice Samsung all in one desk top with 24 inch HD screen and all the bells and whistles. Again great for working and in particular multi media e.g. watching web TV and downloaded movies etc

I just got a new Dell at work, two days ago. I haven't yet wanted to chuck it out of my office window....

Hope this helps.

Given any thoughts to one of those Mini Mac boxes?
    I think if I was going to a desktop again, I would get one of those.
    Works with any monitors and it would give me an excuse to use my apple wireless keyboard and mouse that I have laying around in my drawer.

Apple - Mac mini

Quote Originally Posted by slampay View Post
    I just got a new Dell at work, two days ago. I haven't yet wanted to chuck it out of my office window....

Hope this helps.
    Thanks but I messed up yesterday and watched a video on how to build a desktop and it grabbed my interest so I am going to give it a try. The rules are pick a reasonably specced prebuilt that I would buy and the price for that becomes the budget for the build.

Should be fun as long as there are no sparks and smoke involved.

I tend to prefer self build too.. Or at least self spec and have a shop built to spec.

Advice you didnt ask for.. Buy all key components (processor, motherboard, ram) from one source.. I have had mystery RAM not work with mystery motherboards etc.. And very hard to prove which was at fault.. RAM worked in one motherboard but didnt in a similar specced replacement MB..

If you buy from multiple suppliers, then theres a potential he said, she said bunfight.

I have used Thanni lots in Thailand and decent enough.

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    I tend to prefer self build too.. Or at least self spec and have a shop built to spec.

Advice you didnt ask for.. Buy all key components (processor, motherboard, ram) from one source.. I have had mystery RAM not work with mystery motherboards etc.. And very hard to prove which was at fault.. RAM worked in one motherboard but didnt in a similar specced replacement MB..

If you buy from multiple suppliers, then theres a potential he said, she said bunfight.

I have used Thanni lots in Thailand and decent enough.
    InvadeIt seem to do pretty well in the hardware dept. This is only a rough sketch but I have come up with this so far just using what they have. Still a lot of reading to do before the design is final, need to add graphics card and wifi/bluetooth.

LG GH24NS Supermulti 24x DVD-RW SATA Drive (Retail)

• SKU: #000649
    • Product No.: GH24NS(BOX)

฿610.00

฿610.00

Kingston 8GB 1600MHz DDR3 Non-ECC CL11 DIMM (1x8GB) (KVR16N11/8)

• SKU: #015183
    • Product No.: KVR16N11/8

฿2,250.00

฿2,250.00

Corsair Carbide Series 330R Quiet Mid-Tower Case Fits Extended ATX (CC-9011024-WW)

• SKU: #016621
    • Product No.: CC-9011024-WW

฿2,900.00

฿2,900.00

ASRock H77 Pro4/MVP Socket LGA1155 / H77 / 4 x DDR3 / 4 x SATA 6Gb/s / 4 x SATA 3Gb/s / ATX

• SKU: #011514
    • Product No.: H77-PRO4/MVP

฿2,770.00

฿2,770.00

Samsung 120GB 2.5" SSD 840 Series (MZ-7TD120BW)

• SKU: #015789
    • Product No.: MZ-7TD120BW

฿3,100.00

฿3,100.00

Western Digital Caviar Black Desktop 1TB Hard Drives, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64 MB Cache, 7200 RPM (WD1002FA)

• SKU: #003717
    • Product No.: WD1002FAEX

฿3,090.00

฿3,090.00

Intel Core i3-3240 Processor (3M Cache, 3.40 GHz) (BX80637I33240)

• SKU: #010681
    • Product No.: BX80637I33240

฿4,290.00

฿4,290.00

Corsair VS Series VS550 Power Supply 550W (CP-9020050-WW)

• SKU: #015974
    • Product No.: CP-9020050-WW

฿1,470.00

฿1,470.00

Grand Total:
    ฿20,480.00

Quote Originally Posted by Lightemup View Post
    Given any thoughts to one of those Mini Mac boxes?
    I think if I was going to a desktop again, I would get one of those.
    Works with any monitors and it would give me an excuse to use my apple wireless keyboard and mouse that I have laying around in my drawer.

Apple - Mac mini
    Cheers but I have never used Mac and as I am very used to windows 7 now I can't see me changing. Old dog new tricks sort of situation.

You dont really need such a high power Power Supply unless you are running dedicated GPU.

You should at least get the i5-3570k

P.S Sorry did not notice the VS series is entry level at 240v, i use the HX750
    Last edited by Nautilus; 7th August 2013 at 14:29.

Quote Originally Posted by Nautilus View Post
    You dont really need such a high power Power Supply unless you are running dedicated GPU.

You should at least get the i5-3570k

P.S Sorry did not notice the VS series is entry level at 240v, i use the HX750
    Just broad strokes at this stage Nauti I am no expert at this just feeling my way.

The i5 - 3570K is nearly twice the price of the i3 - 3240 and whilst it does perform better is it performance I would actually use ?

I have found a website where you can enter all the components in your build and it will tell you what power supply you need so I will do that when I am sure what I want.

I am looking at this for a graphics card, any thoughts ?

Gigabyte nVidia GeForce GTX 650 2GB GDDR5 (GV-N650OC-2GI)

SKU: #012311 Product No.: N650OC-2GI

฿4,450.00
    Last edited by soupdragon; 7th August 2013 at 15:17.

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    Advice you didnt ask for.. Buy all key components (processor, motherboard, ram) from one source.
    Quote Originally Posted by soupdragon View Post
    InvadeIt seem to do pretty well in the hardware dept.
    Just in case anyone else is wanting parts, J.I.B computers are pretty well stocked and a lot cheaper. I saved 2740 Baht just on the processor, mobo and HDD (not the ones listed above) on the InvadeIT prices.

Sorry im away in singapore for holiday. Hope you got a good system. I only upgrade once every 3 years cause Malaysia has a tax rebate of myr3000 for purchase of computer. Can you list what you bought?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast