Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Ryder Cup 2018.

Ryder Cup 2018.

Starts next Friday 28th Sept.
    Do Europe have any chance?
    I don't think so. The US have the top 3 players in the world and Europe are relying on a couple of older players with little form instead of blooding rookies.
    Even with "home" advantage, I fear it will be a lost cause by Saturday evening
    RIP Nicke June 1971 - Jan 2013.

AT SOME POINT IN LIFE, EVERYONE HAS GAMBLED ON A FART AND LOST.

Is Justin Rose American? ..55

World rankings don't seem to mean anything at Ryder Cups... four balls and foursomes totally change the dynamic...
    Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, just as it is the spirit of a spiritless situation. It is the opium of the people.

Quote Originally Posted by dawsey View Post
    Starts next Friday 28th Sept.
    Do Europe have any chance?
    I don't think so. The US have the top 3 players in the world and Europe are relying on a couple of older players with little form instead of blooding rookies.
    Even with "home" advantage, I fear it will be a lost cause by Saturday evening
    Trying A bit of reverse psychology, eh Rog? 55555
    Last edited by billpay; 20th September 2018 at 08:18.
    The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

Quote Originally Posted by Waharoa View Post
    Is Justin Rose American? ..55

World rankings don't seem to mean anything at Ryder Cups... four balls and foursomes totally change the dynamic...

Nope. Rose was 4th when I last looked but I see he is #1 now
    You are correct, rankings matter little at the Ryder Cup.

Quote Originally Posted by billpay View Post
    Trying A bit of revere rose psychology, eh Rog? 55555
    No Bill. Just an honest opinion. I think the US will be too strong for Europe but we can hope 555

Superb days play at the Ryder Cup. The USA took the morning four balls 3 - 1 but Europe crushed the USA this afternoon winning the foursomes 4 - 0. The magnitude of the wins must concern the USA along with the very poor showing from Tiger, Mickelson and Patrick Reed. I can't see either Mickelson or Tiger winning their singles unless there is a vast improvement. The European rookies played far better than the USA ones and hopefully can keep it up. I'm still thinking a USA win, ut not by a landslide as I thought before it started. Winning away from home soil seems very difficult for USA.

I had the misfortune to watch this on the NBC Golf channel. Whilst the actual golf coverage and commenatary was fine, the incessant ad breaks were off putting. What was worse was almost every advert was about investments, annuities and retirement funds! Are Americans really that obsessed with money?
    I know you are fcuked without it, but there is more to life than your bank balance. You wouldn't think so watching this channel.
    Waharoa likes this.

No one cares about the Ryder Cup..........

Quote Originally Posted by marc26 View Post
    No one cares about the Ryder Cup..........
    I think you'll find thousands of golf fans care.

Paulie cares... 55

Now... Garcia wasn't a bad Captain's pick after all...

Can't believe though that Stenson and Rose are being rested in the morning...
    Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, just as it is the spirit of a spiritless situation. It is the opium of the people.

[QUOTE=Waharoa;132859]Paulie cares... 55

QUOTE]

Who says????

I will let you know tomorrow 5555

Going to be squeaky bum time for USA tomorrow losing todays four balls 3-1 and levelling this afternoons foursomes 2 -2.
    Now 10 - 6 to Europe and 4.5 more points from a possible 12 required.

A few observations.
    Tiger Woods looks shot to bits. A once great golfer, he looks like a rookie on the course, missing easy putts he would have sunk blindfolded a while back. His demeanour suggests he would rather be anywhere other than on that course.
    Patrick Reed a huge disappointment for the USA. Couldn't find the fairways, or the greens and didn't make a birdie in the only match he played today.
    Mickelson is so out of form, no wonder he wasn't picked to play at all today.

Positives......Webb Simpson, Justin Thomas and Jordan Spieth are carrying this side on their own. Nobody else has contributed much at all.

On to Europe.
    Fleetwood and Molinari have been a great partnership winning all four of their matches. Garcia, Rose, Stenson and Casey have all played very well too.
    Finally, I think Europe can prove me, and the bookies wrong by taking the match tomorrow unless the USA can play this course better. If they are off the fairway its almost impossible to get a par.

Finally, one huge gripe about the crowd behaviour. It happens every Ryder Cup, wherever it takes place. The morons who bellow "Get in the hole" before the ball has hardly left the tee" FFS shut it.
    Drives me mad. I love to hear support and applause for great shots from either team, but "get in the hole" is just crass.

Oh, and Bubba Watson should have a word with his parents. Poor bastard having to carry that first name around for the rest of his life!

Miserable old cnut rant over.

I also heard "Baked Potato!" yelled out just after they teed off too...

Ryder Cup is strange. Garcia, has found some form.. Rory, Tiger and Reed have lost their's... Mickleson is likely wondering why he was picked... and Molinari and Fleetwood are already Ryder Cup legends... more-so if they can hold on to win tomorrow...

Then they can sing like this...

Quote Originally Posted by Waharoa View Post
    I also heard "Baked Potato!" yelled out just after they teed off too...
    And mashed potato today. WTF is that about??

Congrats to the European team who I didn't give a chance to before this started. The 17.5 -10.5 margin was huge, and deserved.
    OK, the course suited Europe, and the same would said about the courses in the US suiting the Americans. It's the way it is.

The difference was about unity for me. Europe looked like a team, supporting each other and playing for each other.
    The US looked like 12 individuals hoping to win and being let down badly by a few on their side.
    Michelson and Woods should never be near another Ryder Cup, such is the state of their game. Kudos to Finau who I didn't rate the first two days, Simpson, Thomas and Spieth although he was well beaten by a rookie today. To win only 4 out of 12 singles was telling, and I believe it was lost on Friday afternoon by that 4 -0 crushing.

As for Europe, Garcia, Molinari,Stenson, Fleetwood, Casey, Poulter, and Rose all played a huge part although not all won their singles. Bjorn should feel well proud of his team who, man for man were better than their opponents over the 3 days.

I really enjoyed this, though I guess the lack of comment from US members shows how pissed they are at their showing.

Edit,,,,,, forgot to mention Jim Furyk. What a class act from a losing captain, unlike Reed who the Sky commentator Butch Harman called classless. He was right.

And mashed potato today. WTF is that about??

Congrats to the European team who I didn't give a chance to before this started. The 17.5 -10.5 margin was huge, and deserved.
    OK, the course suited Europe, and the same would said about the courses in the US suiting the Americans. It's the way it is.

The difference was about unity for me. Europe looked like a team, supporting each other and playing for each other.
    The US looked like 12 individuals hoping to win and being let down badly by a few on their side.
    Michelson and Woods should never be near another Ryder Cup, such is the state of their game. Kudos to Finau who I didn't rate the first two days, Simpson, Thomas and Spieth although he was well beaten by a rookie today. To win only 4 out of 12 singles was telling, and I believe it was lost on Friday afternoon by that 4 -0 crushing.

As for Europe, Garcia, Molinari,Stenson, Fleetwood, Casey, Poulter, and Rose all played a huge part although not all won their singles. Bjorn should feel well proud of his team who, man for man were better than their opponents over the 3 days.

I really enjoyed this, though I guess the lack of comment from US members shows how pissed they are at their showing.

Edit,,,,,, forgot to mention Jim Furyk. What a class act from a losing captain, unlike Reed who the Sky commentator Butch Harman called classless. He was right.
    Nobody in the US cares about the Ryder cup. I forgot it was happening until I noticed this thread pop up.

It's kind of like soccer.

It is an exhibition no one cares

The boys just wanted to get done in time to put their lineups in for their fantasy football teams

Quote Originally Posted by kuhio View Post
    Nobody in the US cares about the Ryder cup. I forgot it was happening until I noticed this thread pop up.

It's kind of like soccer.
    Doubt you'd be saying that had the USA won. It was certainly well supported on the course by Americans.

As for the soccer, (its football BTW), you'll find football is increasing in popularity in the US and is the most popular amongst the 30 -50 age group.
    https://www.lagalaxy.com/post/2018/0...g-us-spectator

Quote Originally Posted by marc26 View Post
    It is an exhibition no one cares

The boys just wanted to get done in time to put their lineups in for their fantasy football teams
    Bollocks.
    Its not an exhibition, its a team contest.
    One that the US ream have great difficulty winning once they leave the shores of America.

I care about the outcome, but is nothing compared to a major, IMO. the Euros played better and deserved to win. Not sure what happens to the Americans every time they play on European soil.
    Anyway, kudos to the Europeans, even Garcia (who I can’t bear to watch play).
    The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

Doubt you'd be saying that had the USA won. It was certainly well supported on the course by Americans.

As for the soccer, (its football BTW), you'll find football is increasing in popularity in the US and is the most popular amongst the 30 -50 age group.

Bollocks.
    One that the US ream have great difficulty winning once they leave the shores of America.
    They're winding you up Dawsey... wait until the next one at Whistling Straits... especially if the US is doing well... and most golfers when asked say the Ryder Cup is much more nerve-wracking than a major.. because you don't just let yourself down..

Bollocks.
    Come on Dawsey
    We are taking the piss

I thought the US was gonna blow the doors off Europe

Although the time difference did hurt the viewing over here
    It seemed there was so much anticipation leading up to it and then once it started, nothing

And you are correct about soccer
    The MLS is doing exceptional with great fan bases

And they are being smart
    Looking to put new franchises in cities that want it
    Like Nashville
    And not just the next biggest city

In saying that.. I think the Ryder Cup does mean more to the UK than the US (Even the rest of Europe is probably ambivalent about golf)... mainly because I can't think of many sports where the US gets excited which involves another country? Mostly they are pretty much obsessed with internal sports like the NBA, NFL and Baseball... rather than inter-country sports?

Michelson and Woods should never be near another Ryder Cup, such is the state of their game.
    Woods just won the Tour Championship a week ago.. so that's harsh... 55

The Ryder Cup format just doesn't seem to suit his personality though... playing in pairs you can't be single-minded.. which is his strength....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast