Results 1 to 16 of 16
Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By Stillearly
  • 3 Post By Stillearly

Thread: Football songs

  1. #1
    Senior Member marc26's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Vancouver BC
    Posts
    10,626

    Football songs

    Is there any rhyme or reason to why you sing certain songs for certain teams?

    i get Blue Moon because Man City is blue?

    our "try too hard" soccer fans for Vancouver MLS team parade by my house every match singing Country Road by John Denver
    which is a song about West Virginia being sung by people walking down the street 1000 of miles away in Vancouver
    makes no sense to me

  2. #2
    Senior Member Stillearly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    829
    Liverpool fans sing "you'll Never walk alone " from Carousel , because their fans like show tunes .....
    'If it floats, flies or fcuks , it's cheaper to rent"

  3. #3
    Senior Member Stillearly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    829
    The best ones are the song the fans make up , I like this one about Bobby Zamora , to the tune of That's Amore

    ""When the ball hits your head, and you're sat in row Z that's Zamora"
    'If it floats, flies or fcuks , it's cheaper to rent"

  4. #4
    Senior Member stupscott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    406
    Do Vancouver (White Caps is it?) sing the original lyrics? Man Utd sing it too but changed the words to

    Take me home, United Road,
    To the place, I belong;
    To Old Trafford, to see United;
    Take me home, United Road.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Stillearly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    829
    For Ji-Sung Park a South Korean who used to play for United

    “Park Park, wherever you may be,
    You eat dogs in your own country
    But you could be worse, you could be Scouse;
    Eating rats in their council house.”


    And

    “He shoots, he scores, he'll eat your Labradors .... "
    LivinLOS and junkhouse like this.
    'If it floats, flies or fcuks , it's cheaper to rent"

  6. #6
    Senior Member Stillearly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    829
    Like this one 55

    "When you're publicly diagnosed as schizophrenic and you're a footballer, sympathy is thrashed by hilarity. That Andy Goram was the staunch embodiment of Rangers, a purported Loyalist Volunteer Force sympathiser with alleged public links to Ulster Volunteer Force, ensured Celtic supporters would revel in his recent diagnosis.

    The result was profane-free but all the funnier for it. “There's only two Andy Gorams” spread like wildfire throughout Scottish Premier League grounds and led to the title of a book recalling humorous football chants."
    'If it floats, flies or fcuks , it's cheaper to rent"

  7. #7
    Senior Member marc26's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Vancouver BC
    Posts
    10,626
    Quote Originally Posted by stupscott View Post
    Do Vancouver (White Caps is it?) sing the original lyrics? Man Utd sing it too but changed the words to

    Take me home, United Road,
    To the place, I belong;
    To Old Trafford, to see United;
    Take me home, United Road.
    see
    that makes sense, it is a great song to sing....change the lyrics to make it relevant
    these idiots sing it word for word

  8. #8
    Senior Member Waharoa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    6,157
    Quote Originally Posted by Stillearly View Post
    Liverpool fans sing "you'll Never walk alone " from Carousel , because their fans like show tunes .....
    and because Gerry and the Pacemakers are from Liverpool and they recorded the song and presented a copy of it to Bill Shankly... and Liverpool played it to the crowd before games... so it has some connected history

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    2,059
    All AFL teams in OZ have an Anthem/Team Song.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    2,059
    Quote Originally Posted by marc26 View Post
    Is there any rhyme or reason to why you sing certain songs for certain teams?

    i get Blue Moon because Man City is blue?

    our "try too hard" soccer fans for Vancouver MLS team parade by my house every match singing Country Road by John Denver
    which is a song about West Virginia being sung by people walking down the street 1000 of miles away in Vancouver
    makes no sense to me
    My Ex was a lifetime friend of the wife of the original owner of the Vancouver Whitecaps - Bob Carter.
    Is he still involved?

  11. #11
    Senior Member marc26's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Vancouver BC
    Posts
    10,626
    Quote Originally Posted by Evilbaz View Post
    My Ex was a lifetime friend of the wife of the original owner of the Vancouver Whitecaps - Bob Carter.
    Is he still involved?
    don't know, ownership changed when they moved up to MLS so don't think so

    to be honest, i preferred when they played in the small outdoor stadium but moved to big indoor football stadium

  12. #12
    Senior Member faultytowers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,496
    Quote Originally Posted by marc26 View Post
    see
    that makes sense, it is a great song to sing....change the lyrics to make it relevant
    these idiots sing it word for word
    Maybe you need new batteries in your hearing aid ?????

    Boundary Road
    Based on John Denver’s classic Country Roads, this song is a reminder of the Southsiders’ origins at Swangard Stadium on Boundary Road. Usually sung with scarves held high at the start of each half:

    Boundary Road, take me home,
    To the place where I belong.

    Vancouver, pretty mama,
    Take me home, Boundary road.
    Songs » Vancouver Southsiders

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    2,238
    Quote Originally Posted by Stillearly View Post
    Like this one 55

    The result was profane-free but all the funnier for it. “There's only two Andy Gorams” spread like wildfire throughout Scottish Premier League grounds and led to the title of a book recalling humorous football chants."
    That's just hilarious

  14. #14
    Senior Member marc26's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Vancouver BC
    Posts
    10,626
    Quote Originally Posted by faultytowers View Post
    Maybe you need new batteries in your hearing aid ?????



    Songs » Vancouver Southsiders
    believe me, i hear it twice a week in the parade that goes by my house
    they see the exact lyrics, West Virginia

    the Southsiders may put that on their website, but the 'tards sing the actual song

  15. #15
    PGC
    PGC is offline
    Member PGC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    39
    Sad git that I am I was always partial to the old "two world wars and one world cup..Doo da...Doo da"
    The Bar or the Beach......Make mine a Guinness

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    2,238
    Quote Originally Posted by PGC View Post
    Sad git that I am I was always partial to the old "two world wars and one world cup..Doo da...Doo da"
    Never gets old

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •