Thread: lennox..eh

The worst thing is.. This is the state of the heavyweight scene in boxing..

Compare that to Valasquez, Dos Santos, Bigfoot Silva, Overeem, Verdoom, Cormier, etc where MMA is stacked in each division..

For me Sky TV killed heavy weight boxing as a spectator sport and for also the encouraging of new young boxers to enter the sport. Made all boxing matches pay per view, now you didn't watch up and coming fighters, after a few years, fighters appeared on the scene you had no idea who they were. Now 'x' years down the line with all the differing world heavyweight belts, I have no idea who even the supposed world champs are.
    Custard should be a colour...cos I could then paint over the mess I've just made!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dodger View Post
    For me Sky TV killed heavy weight boxing as a spectator sport and for also the encouraging of new young boxers to enter the sport. Made all boxing matches pay per view, now you didn't watch up and coming fighters, after a few years, fighters appeared on the scene you had no idea who they were. Now 'x' years down the line with all the differing world heavyweight belts, I have no idea who even the supposed world champs are.
    TOTALLY agree.. Had exactly the same talk with buddies.. Not only that it went PPV, but that no other outlets carried it a day later.. News of the coverage would be still photos only..

They killed the sport through greed. Took away its fanbase. Boxing was huge when I was a kid, then sometime around my early teens I guess, it just faded.

Probably different in other countries but the UK TV system was split over the OTA / Satellite divide. Taking it TOTALLY off the OTA system just took the sport out of so many peoples viewing habit.

I don't entirely agree. Nearly every household has Sky Sports these days, and it's only the absolute premium fights that are on PPV.
    They show great domestic cards nearly every weekend throughout the boxing season. You guys prob don't get to see there, or because of time zones don't watch.
    For instance of the current crop of up and coming British fighters; Scott Quigg, Tyson Fury, George Groves, Carl Frampton, Kell brook and others, I have seen nearly every single one of their fights on TV.
    Pattaya Pattaya - Phuuying love u mak mak

Maybe thats just the perception of someone who left a while back then.. It seemed to be really cause and effect.

I hope this isn't true. He did it right retiring when he did, Lennox Lewis has nothing to prove and surely has no need of the money.

Quote Originally Posted by dan boy View Post
    I don't entirely agree. Nearly every household has Sky Sports these days, and it's only the absolute premium fights that are on PPV.
    They show great domestic cards nearly every weekend throughout the boxing season. You guys prob don't get to see there, or because of time zones don't watch.
    For instance of the current crop of up and coming British fighters; Scott Quigg, Tyson Fury, George Groves, Carl Frampton, Kell brook and others, I have seen nearly every single one of their fights on TV.
    That's good to hear its changed Dan, when Sky came in they made just about every fight pay per view, which if you were not an avid fan, you stopped seeing the under cards etc and then just didn't know who George Groves or whoever was or had done. The multiple world championship belts also in my opinion killed it, a nobody was fighting a nobody, nobodies cos you hadn't seen them on the way up and then were world champion, when you knew klitsko or tyson or whoever was really the best in the world.
    Custard should be a colour...cos I could then paint over the mess I've just made!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve@thaib View Post
    I hope this isn't true. He did it right retiring when he did, Lennox Lewis has nothing to prove and surely has no need of the money.
    its not true, the numbers don't even come close to working. If LL got 100mil, the champ would have to make more....right? A $200mill (purse) fight is not doable. And who on earth would pay $100US to watch a guy who hadn't fought in 10 years?

time for a tyson come back,he is younger 555