Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Point and Shoot for Dummies

Point and Shoot for Dummies

My aging Olympus 5060WZ is coming up for retirement and I am looking out for a replacement.

The new Canon SX280HS has caught my eye. It has a new lens and sensor along with the latest Digic 6 processor, add in a 20x zoom lens and this looks like quite a tidy little package. Not yet available in Thailand (that I can find) but available in KL at 10K baht.

Anyone in the know got any thoughts ?

Canon Powershot SX280 HS Review - Specifications | PhotographyBLOG

EDIT :: Just checked the link.. I thought that was a different, larger camera than it seems to be..
    ================

Do you need the zoom ??

For me a point and shoot is about snapping.. Portraits, people.. Landscapes.. The day trip here or there.. Which fits in a pocket.

For that I would much rather a smaller easier package than a super zoom with the size compromise that has.. I still love my s100 for easy simple shots.. It has such a great sensor and for a point and shot can use fill flash and doesnt over expose.. Its been the best point and shot I have had by far.

Once going to the size of the super zooms I would look at more powerful options. M43 and lens options etc.. More flexible for the same size you must carry.

Of course if your kick is fast lenses or low light theres other options that fit in the P&S world, the LX7 etc.. But for just long range tele ?? How often are you photographing that bird in a tree or distant sporting even in bright light ??

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    EDIT :: Just checked the link.. I thought that was a different, larger camera than it seems to be..
    ================

Do you need the zoom ??

For me a point and shoot is about snapping.. Portraits, people.. Landscapes.. The day trip here or there.. Which fits in a pocket.

For that I would much rather a smaller easier package than a super zoom with the size compromise that has.. I still love my s100 for easy simple shots.. It has such a great sensor and for a point and shot can use fill flash and doesnt over expose.. Its been the best point and shot I have had by far.

Once going to the size of the super zooms I would look at more powerful options. M43 and lens options etc.. More flexible for the same size you must carry.

Of course if your kick is fast lenses or low light theres other options that fit in the P&S world, the LX7 etc.. But for just long range tele ?? How often are you photographing that bird in a tree or distant sporting even in bright light ??
    Another option I am looking at is the new S120 which has a faster lense and the new processor which is reported to have 50% faster AF that the S100. Haven't found it anywhere in Thailand and I can only find it mail order in KL for 14K.

Quote Originally Posted by soupdragon View Post
    My aging Olympus 5060WZ is coming up for retirement and I am looking out for a replacement.

The new Canon SX280HS has caught my eye. It has a new lens and sensor along with the latest Digic 6 processor, add in a 20x zoom lens and this looks like quite a tidy little package. Not yet available in Thailand (that I can find) but available in KL at 10K baht.

Anyone in the know got any thoughts ?

Canon Powershot SX280 HS Review - Specifications | PhotographyBLOG
    You cant really go wrong with Canon. The image stabilisation technology it really the best in its class on the Ixus/Powershot cameras. Dead simple to use, very reliable although I've found the lens cap and motors to be a bit fragile. You dont need to use kid gloves but you cant be rough as guts with them. Being a bit fragile is my only complaint.

I've got an Ixus 220 I bought 18 months ago and it's still producing good shots.

Also, dont worry so much about zoom, just shoot wide and crop later. You're better off getting a camera with a good lens and fast focus.
    This post is known by the state of California to potentially contain more than the maximum daily allowance of awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by mjwx View Post
    You cant really go wrong with Canon. The image stabilisation technology it really the best in its class on the Ixus/Powershot cameras. Dead simple to use, very reliable although I've found the lens cap and motors to be a bit fragile. You dont need to use kid gloves but you cant be rough as guts with them. Being a bit fragile is my only complaint.

I've got an Ixus 220 I bought 18 months ago and it's still producing good shots.

Also, dont worry so much about zoom, just shoot wide and crop later. You're better off getting a camera with a good lens and fast focus.
    I agree with this 100%.

Canon quality, reliability and technology is among the best and IXUS camera's are simply awesome for their size. I take mine everywhere, clipped to belt, as it weighs so little. My IXUS is ~ 5 y/o 8mp. Current models are ~ 16mp ... WOW, think of the quality retention when cropping compared to my (compressed) shots below.

I seldom use digital zoom and always crop when editing. I always save a highly compressed (~475kb) file to Picasa, eg >

Close-ups are good >

Cheers, Rob.

Do you need the zoom ??
    I am used to a 5 mp camera with a wide angle lense and found the 5x zoom inadequate. I simply thought better to have it and not need it rather that vice versa.

I still love my s100 for easy simple shots.. It has such a great sensor and for a point and shot can use fill flash and doesnt over expose.. Its been the best point and shot I have had by far.
    That was my first choice but can't find one at the right price, oddly in the few places that have them they are more expensive than the S110. I think at 14K the S120 seems to be the best of that range, it is only 2K more than the S110 with many new and improved features, just a problem with availability locally.

Yeh not much bigger than the S100.

Quote Originally Posted by mjwx View Post

Yes that is the way my thinking is now leaning. First camera I have bought for over 8 years, the old Olympus C5060WZ will be a hard act to follow in terms of durability.

Quote Originally Posted by kaptainrob View Post
    I agree with this 100%.

Canon quality, reliability and technology is among the best and IXUS camera's are simply awesome for their size. I take mine everywhere, clipped to belt, as it weighs so little. My IXUS is ~ 5 y/o 8mp. Current models are ~ 16mp ... WOW, think of the quality retention when cropping compared to my (compressed) shots below.

I seldom use digital zoom and always crop when editing. I always save a highly compressed (~475kb) file to Picasa, eg >
    Thanks for the input I was thinking that the Canons were the best available in my price range and I think that has been confirmed.

While the size may not be a big difference the speed of the lens is almost always lower on the longer tele zooms.

For me faster glass. a better ability for low light and shallow DOF, nicer bokeh, is far more useful than a huge zoom range.

Dont rule out the newer fuji offerings.. I would guess the XQ1 will be a great little performer with its f1.8 lens and fuji build quality.. Or the Lumix (panasonic) ones like the LX7.. I really like the s100 but theres great kit from a few manufacturers I wouldnt be totally brand loyal.

Its hard to know where the sweet spot of spending for you is but with you saying 14k on the s120 being bearable theres many many options up in that range. Its a bit over it but the Sony RX100 (and now RX200 I think) are an amazing package, I was following a magnum photog using one for street and documentary and was just superb quality of work for the price of the kit. Maybe thats too serious and spendy by that point tho.
    PadMC likes this.

While the size may not be a big difference the speed of the lens is almost always lower on the longer tele zooms.

For me faster glass. a better ability for low light and shallow DOF, nicer bokeh, is far more useful than a huge zoom range.

Dont rule out the newer fuji offerings.. I would guess the XQ1 will be a great little performer with its f1.8 lens and fuji build quality.. Or the Lumix (panasonic) ones like the LX7.. I really like the s100 but theres great kit from a few manufacturers I wouldnt be totally brand loyal.

Its hard to know where the sweet spot of spending for you is but with you saying 14k on the s120 being bearable theres many many options up in that range. Its a bit over it but the Sony RX100 (and now RX200 I think) are an amazing package, I was following a magnum photog using one for street and documentary and was just superb quality of work for the price of the kit. Maybe thats too serious and spendy by that point tho.
    Looked at the Sonies and the LX7 and yes very good packages but the level of use they would get makes the price point a bit high, I tend to photograph occasions I want to record rather than every gathering down the bar. I was thinking 10K as a budget but the S120 would justify spending the extra. I can't remember the last time I printed an image so to have the top end gear that would produce excellent prints isn't a consideration.

S100 shot. Superb point and shoot camera.
    Just add a neoprene bag like a glove fitting Axia - and its perfect for almost all I want to do without lugging the DSLR around........

IMG_0645.jpg

I regret not getting the Sony RX100 18 months ago when I replaced my camera. I may even bite the bullet and get it before my next trip, a bit pricey but having a nice camera encourages me to take it out and use it. The new model is called the RX100M2 (UK/Euro name), but I think I'll stick to the original, they look more or less the same with the M2 having a few upgrades.

Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-RX100 In-Depth Review: Digital Photography Review

^^^^ The shot of mine above looks like it didn't upload well.

Looks almost out of focus compared to the original - bugger !!

Yes
    I have the S110,really like it,so light ,so small.

Here are a few pics from it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looked at the Sonies and the LX7 and yes very good packages but the level of use they would get makes the price point a bit high
    Understood.. The great thing about the market these days is there are so many quality / price / size etc options theres something for everyone..

Why not ebay an s100 on the cheap ??

Why not ebay an s100 on the cheap ??
    Didn't do a thorough search but at the prices being offered 9-16K, by the time you add in shipping and possible customs duty you are up to or passed the cost of a new S110 available locally at Big Camera. Not interested in second hand stuff.

I have found the S120 available at Low Yat Plaza in KL at 14K and I am there early next month. With the new Digic 6 processor, and other improvements I think this is what I will get.

Quote Originally Posted by PadMC View Post
    I regret not getting the Sony RX100 18 months ago when I replaced my camera.
    From what I have read the Sony is still getting best buy recommendations in a lot of reviews. The Mk 2 is pretty new to the market but is also well liked. It's 19-20K here which is a bit more than I planned.

From what I have read the Sony is still getting best buy recommendations in a lot of reviews. The Mk 2 is pretty new to the market but is also well liked. It's 19-20K here which is a bit more than I planned.
    Indeed they're pricey. The first RX100 hasn't come down much in price since it came on the market about 18 months ago.

I would also add to find the camera that fits with your operating system, ie. I use Mac and have a Sony Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX9V: Digital Photography Review that I like a lot, but it is hard to get the HD movies off the camera and onto the Mac. For images it's fine with iPhoto, but movies not nearly as straightforward. I also have a little Nikon Coolpix S01 Nikon COOLPIX S01 Digital Camera that is just a tiny camera and takes decent pics, though not amazing. Just it is so small that other than using your iPhone etc., I don't think you can find a much smaller camera! and that helps make sure you take it along with you every time you might need it rather than trying to plan when you're going to bring your camera with you.

Didn't do a thorough search but at the prices being offered 9-16K
    Surprised they get that much.. I think I paid around 275 2 plus years ago.. I would have guess 200 bucks would have got one..

EDIT :: Manufacturer refurb 195 http://www.ebay.com/itm/Canon-PowerS...item1e8160a4f9

I use shipito and nearly never get caught for customs..
    Last edited by LivinLOS; 22nd October 2013 at 17:49.

Refurb ? Lens error return ? May not ship to Thailand ? Maybe just a quirk of mine but I like new unused stuff, then I can be sure how it has been treated all its life.

I have heard that this is still a popular model and shortages have kept the prices up.

Never used shipito. Is it easy to set up ?

Manufacturer refurbs are pretty much like new.. Wouldnt worry me especially buying one.. I agree for a camera that doesnt want to be knocked about like the canons second hand would be a bit more off putting.

Yeah shipito wasnt hard.. Did need one thing certified IIRc but that was because it was a large package over the usual cost allowance.. Can use mine if its an issue.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast