Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Sir Alex Ferguson to retire !

Sir Alex Ferguson to retire !

Not really a follower of football but this is all over the news.

Sir Alex Ferguson to retire from Manchester United

Sir Alex Ferguson will step down as Manchester United manager at the end of the season after 26 years in charge.
    The Scot, 71, has won 38 trophies for the club and will now become a director and ambassador
    BBC Sport - Sir Alex Ferguson to retire from Manchester United

wonder who's the next manager......Muhrinjo??? (wrong spelling)

Some legacy he's left, is there anyone to match his record over such a long period of time?

I think Moyes would be an excellent choice. It'd be interesting to see what he can do with a large transfer kitty and the type of culture he could instil at United. Not sure what Rooney would think being united with Moyes again. Mourinho would be interesting but I'm sure he'd be back at Chelshea next season... if he was to take the United job it would almost guarantee that Ronaldo would seek out his next contract at Man United.

Yes
    It's unlikely any manager will ever equal his record..
    i think mourinho would like the job...but he seems like a gun for hire here today gone tomorrow..not really united style..
    he is also basically a defensive coach..
    Moyes does not have much experience in Europe..but has done great with Everton.very stable ..there for the long haul..and deserves new challenge...maybe not high profile enough for Man U,
    Pepes taken..But the Spanish waiter will be looking for a job...interesting to see who gets it

Was all sorts of speculation before I left home this morning but still a surprise.

My bet is Moyes, he's been touted for United for a few years now and has stalled on signing a new contract at Everton. I think Everton will be looking for a new manager next week, United will have theirs.

There is talk of Ferguson hanging around upstairs like Bobby Charlton has done. Couldn't see Mourinho standing for that whereas Moyes has nothing but respect for Ferguson. I think he's made for United, time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by ub2yoo View Post
    I think he already signed up going back to Chelsea?
    It's not officially confirmed, but there's a lot of smoke. It would make for an interesting swerve if he was to take the United post. For a while I thought Carlos Queiroz, would have been his successor back when Fergie was initially suppose to retire, but then he didn't do very well when he left for Real Madrid back in 2003. I hear Steve McClaren is looking for a job, 555

Ole Gunnar "Sunny" Solskjśr may be free shortly being dead last in the Norwegian league 555. He did win consecutive titles his first two seasons though.

Way too early of course, but he's very much in the Ferguson tradition and no doubt where his heart is. May be eligible 5+ years or so down the line.

another vote for moyes here, although being an evertonian not happy, but he deserves his chance, good luck to him if he is considered.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal View Post
    another vote for moyes here, although being an evertonian not happy, but he deserves his chance, good luck to him if he is considered.
    I think it's a done deal, rumours very strong and Ferguson a known admirer. I think it may not be all bad for Everton because rumours are that Martinez may go there and he's a class act too.

Bookies have slashed the odds on Moyes, it's going to be a hard act to follow for anyone especially as Ferguson is still staying around the club.

I think Moyes is an excellent choice....particularly if Ferguson is steering the ship from above

He has kept Everton competitive with the big boys on a shoestring budget and will excel at the very top level....a shrewd business man, a clever coach and an excellent man manager...looks like one of his first tasks may be to either keep or lose Rooney...Mr Petulant has asked for another transfer I see

Quote Originally Posted by nelsonone View Post
    I think Moyes is an excellent choice....particularly if Ferguson is steering the ship from above

He has kept Everton competitive with the big boys on a shoestring budget and will excel at the very top level....a shrewd business man, a clever coach and an excellent man manager...looks like one of his first tasks may be to either keep or lose Rooney...Mr Petulant has asked for another transfer I see
    Rooney has been fairly average this season and if he goes it makes room for a marquee signing for Moyes. I think Moyes and Rooney have history too, didn't they end up in court over Rooney's book?

As a United fan i would be pleased with Moyes, I don't think the club is suited to a continental manager and Mourinho might be fun for a season and then leave a mess behind. Guardiola might have been interesting but probably too young for United.

I think United and Moyes are well suited, a good appointment for both. Shame for Everton though.

Quote Originally Posted by ub2yoo View Post
    You know that he has already signed up for Bayern next season ...
    I do, that's why I said 'might' have been interesting.

Nobody seriously believes that this decision was taken this week, it will have been planned for a long time and could well have been in the planning stage when Guardiola was not signed up. If Moyes goes to United it will be because United believe him to be the best man for the job, not because he lives locally.

There you have it. 6 year deal for Moyes. Now can him and Rooney patch things up over the whole "alleged" forced transfer to United back in 2006?

If it makes difference, Fergie wanted to groom Moyes as his replacement back in 1998, but he stayed to manage Preston North End and latter took a position with Everton in 2002. Seems like he finally got the man he wanted to replace hm in the long run.

I figure if Wigan go down, Roberto Martinez would be a good match for Everton.
    Last edited by Mr. Smiley; 9th May 2013 at 23:01.

Rooney? Heard Ronaldo is not against returning... and he still is in another league than Rooney.
    Everton, grapevine is Martinez or Laudrup.

There will be a lot of fans from opposing clubs very glad to see the back of Ferguson. A country mile the best manager ever to grace the Premiership, he will be a hard act to follow. Moyes I think is the perfect man, very astute, made some good signings to keep Everton near the top every season. His only weakness is a lack of European experience, but that will come in time.
    I have no doubt he will try and raid Everton for Baines and Felliani and I bet he knows he needs to strengthen his midfield too. Maybe a chance for this seasons chasers to have a crack at the title next year?
    RIP Nicke June 1971 - Jan 2013.

AT SOME POINT IN LIFE, EVERYONE HAS GAMBLED ON A FART AND LOST.

I love the way the whole business was handled. Fergie retires and successor appointed next day with minimum fuss, sheer class from the club.
    I like the appointment, Moyes fits the profile of a potentially great UTD manager perfectly, and what a great mentor he will have.
    Stillearly and kris-one like this.
    Pattaya Pattaya - Phuuying love u mak mak

Quote Originally Posted by dawsey View Post
    Maybe a chance for this seasons chasers to have a crack at the title next year?
    I like to think that if Mourinho does join Chelsea that they would be the front runners. New war chest, new signings, and Mourinho. Chelshea would certainly be up for it like they were in M's first year back in 2004, 95 pts, 15 goals conceded.

won't miss him at all and glad to see the back of him, but by the look of this video, these will miss him

Sir Alex Ferguson's Retirement | Fans Around The World React - YouTube

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast