Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: North West 200.. In the wet..

North West 200.. In the wet..

BBC Sport - North West 200: Thursday's race highlights

Road racing.. A different breed !!

I was at the 200 a few years ago. A great week of racing. Unbelievable stuff. Scary when you see guys side by side whizzing past at 170mph+ on those roads.

Looks like it's been abandoned. A different breed those guys. I did a bit of racing some years ago, 350LC production for a season and an RD250 open class for a season. Even from that perspective the TT and NW200 looked like madness.

That's a great article and you can't argue with it. My personal take on it now is that road racing has claimed far too many lives and I won't watch it anymore, they are all volunteers though and all want to do what they do in the full knowledge that so many others have been killed doing it. They have my respect.

^ A few links posted in PI before, but the NW200 and IOM TT are just crazy now. Top speeds of over 205mph on a road circuit, no run off areas is a recipe for disaster. You cannot help admire the likes of the Dunlop brothers, John McGuinness, Guy Martin & Ian Huchinson who regularly put their lives on the line in the name of racing.

Found this recently, a full uncut version of the film released in 2011 "Closer to the Edge" featuring Guy Martin. Well worth a look.

RIP Nicke June 1971 - Jan 2013.

AT SOME POINT IN LIFE, EVERYONE HAS GAMBLED ON A FART AND LOST.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve@thaib View Post
    That's a great article and you can't argue with it. My personal take on it now is that road racing has claimed far too many lives and I won't watch it anymore, they are all volunteers though and all want to do what they do in the full knowledge that so many others have been killed doing it. They have my respect.
    Do you feel the same about horse riding ?? About 10 deaths per year in the UK.

^ none of them would have to be scraped up after hitting a wall at high speed in full view of the public though,which from my own personal experience of just that is a horrible experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve@thaib View Post
    I tend to agree with the really dangerous tracks. I think it`s a pity that these guys are willing to put there necks on the line year after year. The real pity of it is that none of them seem to make it through to the big league,World Superbikes and GP racing but have their own circuit,Macau,IoM and Ireland. I`ve spoken to fellow riders who raced at IoM and their opinion is it`s just too daunting and intimidating to give it their all especially with the little knowledge they had of the place...it takes a long time to learn the whole track.

Road racing at the highest levels though is very safe these days with very few deaths and serious injuries.
    Last edited by Loop; 24th May 2013 at 08:13.

My point is tho, people choose to live that way.. Its not my business to tell them not to. Its not for me to say people shouldnt base jump, of fly wingsuits, or ride horses, or whatever. They are not children, they know the risks and realities of what they do, but the love of it makes them feel the risk is worth living that way.
    soupdragon likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    Do you feel the same about horse riding ?? About 10 deaths per year in the UK.
    I would wager that 10 people a year are killed when opening fridges or taking out dustbins. As it happens, horses are just a puzzle to me; can't see the attraction at all but have no argument with people who want to, umm, interact with them.

When I was racing, at Flookburgh around 1984, I was in the paddock next to a sidecar racer. The throttle stuck open on it in practice and the rider was killed. Watching his girlfriend pack the van up was sobering. I don't argue against risky activities per-se, I understand that it makes people feel alive etc., but there is more to it than the way the 'doer' feels.

Going to funerals is traumatic enough, but ones that could be avoided seem wasteful. To me now, and I know it's easy said, the machinery has outstripped the circuits and street racing is unneccessarily dangerous; there are plenty of tracks. As I say, the have my respect though.

I would much rather see Dave Jeffries alive and well and competing than a plaque on the wall at the TT.

I get your point..

But 1 I think its peoples own choices, you cant start to legislate against peoples own will to do risky things (as long as others are not put at risk etc, road racing on open roads).. Yes its hard on the people they leave behind, but thats the deal they sign on for.

As to machines outstripping the courses.. Once your past the 60s or 70s (maybe 50s), has it not always been the case ?? the improvements in medical support, in airlifitng injuries, in protective gear, etc etc.. No easy answer.

I tend to think things like this are a sign of the greatness of human spirit, a desire above all else to be the best, to push boundries, to do what is to the rest of us, simply impossible. Its a spectacle and thing of amazement to me. If anything irks me its that they dont get the mega bucks to match those mega balls.

You might not remember Lorenzo in his first MotoGP season being helped off his bike after a podium finish with 2 broken ankles?

Some injuries don`t hamper the rider greatly as bad as they sound.

A different breed for sure. His dad was like that; hard as nails.

I tend to think things like this are a sign of the greatness of human spirit, a desire above all else to be the best, to push boundries, to do what is to the rest of us, simply impossible. Its a spectacle and thing of amazement to me. If anything irks me its that they dont get the mega bucks to match those mega balls.
    This I agree with. Just makes me sad when we lose people like Jeffries and Dunlop.

Quote Originally Posted by Loop View Post
    Some injuries don`t hamper the rider greatly as bad as they sound.
    Having broken legs a couple of times.. I cant imagine the kind of will power it would take to even entertain race pace forces on that injury..

He`s yet to practice/qualify or race though.

I had offers of a GSX 1000 and another RC 30 ride when i had my busted arm with 2 plates and 15 screws in it but just couldn`t do it thinking what would happen if i came down hard on it with all that sharp metal in it. One screw maybe different story.

Cal Crutchlow raced to 2nd place in last weekends MotoGP ~(in the wet) at LeMans with a broken shin. He crashed the previous day and was coughing up blood and bleeding from the nose before visiting the on course doctors to be cleared to race. He got clearance to ride and showed tremendous spirit getting that podium position. They all have my utmost respect from the lowliest forms of the sport up to the pinnacle of MotoGP.

BBC Sport - Isle of Man TT: Japanese rider Yoshinari Matsushita killed

Poor guy only confirmed as an entrant this morning. 21 deaths at the IOM since 2000. That is a horrible statistic knowing on average, 1 or more rider could lose their life in the name of sport every year at this venue.

Yeah saw that yesterday on the phone and was going to add it here..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast