Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 224
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: NBA Talk

  1. #1
    Senior Member marc26's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Vancouver BC
    Posts
    10,467

    NBA Talk

    Retired numbers:

    So last night Paul Pierce and Kevin Garnett returned to Boston for the 1st time after being traded.
    They did video tributes with PP getting a bit longer, emotional video

    But a lot of people are talking about retiring their #'s
    And i actually don't think KG should have his # retired....he was only with them for 6 years.
    He was my favorite athlete to ever watch, he just cared so much more than any athlete i ever saw. I just think to have your # retired for a team you need to be a lifer and an all time great for that team

  2. #2
    Senior Member tnlawyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    2,629
    I agree and if the current trend continues with guys switching teams a couple of times during their career, it will happen even less often.

    How about the month Kevin Durant is having? Unbelievable. Thought it was funny that Lebron was trying to downplay it.

  3. #3
    Senior Member marc26's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Vancouver BC
    Posts
    10,467
    Quote Originally Posted by tnlawyer View Post
    How about the month Kevin Durant is having? Unbelievable. Thought it was funny that Lebron was trying to downplay it.
    the guy is absolutely insane!!

  4. #4
    Senior Member slampay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,629
    Yea, I heard KG say that he will always be a Celtic in 'heart'? Wtf? He will play another 5 years and Boston would become a stopover...

    Here in Sactown we have the "we don't want anything" brigade trying to stop the new area....kunts.

  5. #5
    Senior Member marc26's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Vancouver BC
    Posts
    10,467
    Quote Originally Posted by slampay View Post
    Yea, I heard KG say that he will always be a Celtic in 'heart'? Wtf? He will play another 5 years and Boston would become a stopover...

    .
    actually i really think KG is sincere in saying that
    he really embraced the whole Celtic culture and all that goes with it
    and he did not want to get traded

    but even so, i just don't think his # should be retired

  6. #6
    Senior Member tnlawyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    2,629
    Quote Originally Posted by slampay View Post
    Yea, I heard KG say that he will always be a Celtic in 'heart'? Wtf? He will play another 5 years and Boston would become a stopover...

    Here in Sactown we have the "we don't want anything" brigade trying to stop the new area....kunts.
    That's too bad about the new arena. Hope you end up getting it despite the kunts. Love the new avatar.

  7. #7
    Senior Member slampay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,629
    Quote Originally Posted by marc26 View Post
    actually i really think KG is sincere in saying that
    he really embraced the whole Celtic culture and all that goes with it
    and he did not want to get traded

    but even so, i just don't think his # should be retired
    You said it already. "Only six years", he's not from the area, he got the max contract and then left. Take off your green tinted glasses Paul.

    As an aside, KG is always voted the top dbag (by anonymous vote) from fellow NBA players. Hall of famer? Yes. Larry Bird, DJ, Russell, Kevin M, Petit, Cousy, ect...material? Not so much.

  8. #8
    Senior Member slampay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,629
    Quote Originally Posted by tnlawyer View Post
    That's too bad about the new arena. Hope you end up getting it despite the kunts. Love the new avatar.
    I'm really not worried about the piss ants trying to block the arena. We have a several billionaires with shovel in hand.

    Follow the money ect..

  9. #9
    Senior Member marc26's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Vancouver BC
    Posts
    10,467
    Quote Originally Posted by slampay View Post
    You said it already. "Only six years", he's not from the area, he got the max contract and then left. Take off your green tinted glasses Paul.

    .
    you would be wrong there Slammy
    he didn't sign a max contract and he signed his contract extension with the C's w/ a no trade and he refused the trade to Clippers and Brooklyn until they basically told him he wasn't wanted, they were blowing it up and he really should go
    people may not like him around the leauge but undoubtedly, the best teammate i have ever seen play

  10. #10
    Senior Member slampay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,629
    So the Celtics said he wasn't wanted? Hmmm....

  11. #11
    Senior Member billpay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    2,024
    Love basketball, and I think that those in the NBA are the best athletes in the world...but, it is a bit sickening when these players abandon the cities that adore them to make a few more bucks.
    I can understand wanting to make a future for your family but WTF: when you are already making 10-20 m per year why leave a team to make a few more?? I guess it's easy for me to say because I'm not in that position. That said, what's better than a great NBA game?
    The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

  12. #12
    Senior Member marc26's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Vancouver BC
    Posts
    10,467
    Quote Originally Posted by billpay View Post
    Love basketball, and I think that those in the NBA are the best athletes in the world...but, it is a bit sickening when these players abandon the cities that adore them to make a few more bucks.
    I can understand wanting to make a future for your family but WTF: when you are already making 10-20 m per year why leave a team to make a few more?? I guess it's easy for me to say because I'm not in that position. That said, what's better than a great NBA game?
    Dustin Pedroia signed an 8yr 110mil deal, about 14mil a year....much lower than he could have got elsewhere
    when asked if it bothers him he took such a discount
    his response- "i am rich as fcuk, what else do i need"

    that is awesome

  13. #13
    Senior Member marc26's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Vancouver BC
    Posts
    10,467
    Quote Originally Posted by slampay View Post
    So the Celtics said he wasn't wanted? Hmmm....
    yeah, when you trade someone that usually means you don't want them

    Danny Ainge was smart, the window to win with those guys had closed and he is rebuilding while trying to trade those guys to good situatiuons for them

  14. #14
    Senior Member slampay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,629
    Quote Originally Posted by marc26 View Post
    yeah, when you trade someone that usually means you don't want them

    Danny Ainge was smart, the window to win with those guys had closed and he is rebuilding while trying to trade those guys to good situatiuons for them
    Smartazz..55

    Pedroia is a local kid. What an overachiever.

  15. #15
    Senior Member marc26's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Vancouver BC
    Posts
    10,467
    I am in Chicago on business and I only met a couple of clients after work for drinks and they wanted to get home before snow started .
    So I decided to go to the Bulls-Spurs game. To say I was impressed with seeing the Spurs the 1st time in person would be an understatement.

    WOW.....I can't remember being that impressed with any team in any sport!

    Tim Duncan is so good but Ginobli and Tony Parker are insanely good. Just in all their movements

    It was a pleasure watching them

  16. #16
    Senior Member billpay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    2,024
    Quote Originally Posted by marc26 View Post
    I am in Chicago on business and I only met a couple of clients after work for drinks and they wanted to get home before snow started .
    So I decided to go to the Bulls-Spurs game. To say I was impressed with seeing the Spurs the 1st time in person would be an understatement.

    WOW.....I can't remember being that impressed with any team in any sport!

    Tim Duncan is so good but Ginobli and Tony Parker are insanely good. Just in all their movements

    It was a pleasure watching them
    Just sounds so funny to me "get home before snow started"...It is just so hard to relate to snow since I've bee living here.

    And, yes, always great to see those games in person. Hard to over state how really good these players are.

    In person all the pros are really amazing.
    The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

  17. #17
    Senior Member slampay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,629
    Nothing compared to cricket players Bill....sign.
    Waharoa likes this.

  18. #18
    Senior Member marc26's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Vancouver BC
    Posts
    10,467
    Quote Originally Posted by billpay View Post
    Just sounds so funny to me "get home before snow started"...It is just so hard to relate to snow since I've bee living here.

    And, yes, always great to see those games in person. Hard to over state how really good these players are.

    In person all the pros are really amazing.
    Well in the East coast this year they had to factor snow in almost everyday! Some cities are approaching 80" on the year!!

    I think seeing basketball live, especially if you have good seats is the one sport your eyes can see the athletism right away

  19. #19
    Super Moderator LivinLOS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    14,153
    Quote Originally Posted by marc26 View Post
    I think seeing basketball live, especially if you have good seats is the one sport your eyes can see the athletism right away
    Its funny how so many sports, you get a great crowd thing, but the viewing of the sport is so much poorer in real life.

    I was tempted to go to the Macau UFC recently, but the same thoughts came up, am I going to just be in a crowd for the vibe ??

  20. #20
    Senior Member marc26's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Vancouver BC
    Posts
    10,467
    Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    Its funny how so many sports, you get a great crowd thing, but the viewing of the sport is so much poorer in real life.

    I was tempted to go to the Macau UFC recently, but the same thoughts came up, am I going to just be in a crowd for the vibe ??
    Well, my mantra when going to live sports is to pay up for good seats because the diffefence between great seats and decent seats is usually 50usd per ticket.
    I just wont go to the game if i dont have great seats unless it is a huge playoff or championship game
    I have also gotten very good at buying tickets in the secondary market.
    You should have seen me haggling with the hood rats that were scalping at the Bulls game....i dont think they are too use to a white boy facing off with them....got 2nd row for 90.00 all the while they are cursing me 555

    Same goes for concerts, if i am not close enough i can watch youtube

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •