Like Tree6Likes
  • 6 Post By Joeguevara

Thread: Sochi :: Live tweets on hotel check ins..

I think this will be the most memorable Olympics ever... and not for sport... 555

That's pathetic. How did they manage to land the Olympics?

If you ban gays from your town it is obvious that interior design is going to suffer.
    slampay, Pablo, LivinLOS and 3 others like this.

Who cares 555. Norway just won the second gold today, and should probably have won a third...

Looking at OG history, it's not as if this is unprecedented. The official Putin stance on gays is reprehensible of course, but will be a losing argument when history is written in any case. The only event that could disrupt or truly tarnish the games would be a terrorist attack. Happened in Atlanta not too long ago, less we forget.

But cue the alarmists. For me, I'll just enjoy the sporting events...

Haha that's a pearler !! 555

Thing is, having the Olympics in Russia has put the spotlight on gay issues that no other event has done in the past. Globally...

Simply means the world is moving forward, and exposing bigotry... So actually a good thing.

PTG
    Vice on youtube has a good piece of the 50 billion dollar debacle. All officials involved say " they don't see any corruption cost overruns occur worldwide"!

Quote Originally Posted by sundancekid View Post
    The official Putin stance on gays is reprehensible of course
    Does the Russian military have a "Don't ask , don't tell" policy ?

The policy prohibited people who "demonstrate a propensity or intent to engage in homosexual acts" from serving in the armed forces of the United States, because their presence "would create an unacceptable risk to the high standards of morale, good order and discipline, and unit cohesion that are the essence of military capability"

The act prohibited any homosexual or bisexual person from disclosing his or her sexual orientation or from speaking about any homosexual relationships, including marriages or other familial attributes, while serving in the United States armed forces.

Good thing Obama repealed DADT then...

My point was only that there have been nations hosting the Olymics with horrible records in the past. And don't think these "twitter hotel scandals" will tarnish the games in any serious way. Looks fairly flawless so far, from a sporting point of view. At least the Norwegian media has yet to report anything amiss.

But in a world limited to a 140-character-attention-span, I'm not surprised...
    Last edited by sundancekid; 9th February 2014 at 20:14.