Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: F1 malaysia here i come,

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    50

    F1 malaysia here i come,

    Just booked flights to KL for the F1 in March, 4 of us doing a tour of duty. Cant wait. Doubt I'll make LOS though. Does anyone have any tips for any decent hotels in KL?? or things to do there, any info most appreciated,

    Cheers

    THE HOOF

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    2,238
    Can't help with any info on KL Stu, never been there, the grand prix always looks pretty special though. I'm sure somebody here knows plenty about KL.

  3. #3
    Senior Member soupdragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Bang Tao
    Posts
    2,367
    The GP track is very close to the airport where there is not much to do so I would say you would be better in the City. I always stay in the Bukit Bintang area where there are good restaurants, a whole street dedicated to superb hawker food, big shopping malls if that's your thing and plenty of good bars and a couple of clubs. There are a lot of hotels varying from basic to 5* so maybe a look at a site like 'booking.com' will help you choose.

    It would be around an hours drive to the GP track at a cost of around 800 baht by taxi but buses and trains also run to the airport, a short hop from the track.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    536
    During F#1 weekend hotel prices shoot up the roof. There is one at Changkat i think is decent and is on the street of expat pubs and restaurants.

    Try this one.

    Radius International Hotel [Official Website] Bukit Bintang Kuala Lumpur

    Lots of tour groups stay there, get a renovated room. Their prices are pretty good.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,595
    Quote Originally Posted by soupdragon View Post
    The GP track is very close to the airport where there is not much to do so I would say you would be better in the City. I always stay in the Bukit Bintang area where there are good restaurants, a whole street dedicated to superb hawker food, big shopping malls if that's your thing and plenty of good bars and a couple of clubs. There are a lot of hotels varying from basic to 5* so maybe a look at a site like 'booking.com' will help you choose.

    It would be around an hours drive to the GP track at a cost of around 800 baht by taxi but buses and trains also run to the airport, a short hop from the track.
    Doubt that 800 Baht will be enough. Yesterday I paid 123 Ringit (1200 Baht) from airport to close by Petronas towers

  6. #6
    Senior Member soupdragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Bang Tao
    Posts
    2,367
    Quote Originally Posted by Nautilus View Post
    During F#1 weekend hotel prices shoot up the roof. There is one at Changkat i think is decent and is on the street of expat pubs and restaurants.

    Try this one.

    Radius International Hotel [Official Website] Bukit Bintang Kuala Lumpur

    Lots of tour groups stay there, get a renovated room. Their prices are pretty good.
    I've stayed there and it was very good for the price. Like Nauti says get a renovated room.

  7. #7
    Senior Member soupdragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Bang Tao
    Posts
    2,367
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    Doubt that 800 Baht will be enough. Yesterday I paid 123 Ringit (1200 Baht) from airport to close by Petronas towers
    Maybe they use the Phuket model of pricing 555 I was quoted 85 Ringgit from Bukit Bintang to the airport in November, that was a rank taxi so no surcharges and not on the meter just a fixed price.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,595
    Quote Originally Posted by soupdragon View Post
    Maybe they use the Phuket model of pricing 555 I was quoted 85 Ringgit from Bukit Bintang to the airport in November, that was a rank taxi so no surcharges.
    Yes, I was astonished. I asked price for going from Bukit Bintang to Melaka and was quoted 500 by a taxi driver

  9. #9
    Senior Member Stillearly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    829
    I've been twice , as others said very little to do around by the Airport , I sat in the K1 stand both times and had seats towards the right hand side , you see the cars leaving the pit , coming along the straight and they have to slow down quite a bit in front of you , bought the tickets directly from the track via their website

    if I went again I would stay in the city , the first time I made a mistake and stayed half way between KL and the track ... cost a fortune in taxis , nice hotel though ... Palace of the Golden Horses ... The second time stayed in a motel by the Airport only a few mins from the track , but no nightlife at all


    some good advice here

    Malaysia F1 Grand Prix Spectator Guide
    'If it floats, flies or fcuks , it's cheaper to rent"

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    50
    Thanks for all the tips so far guys. We will be staying in the Bukit Bintang area I reckon. F1 tickets now booked as well.

    Just wondering, is there actually owt to do in and around KL from Monday (after the race) to the following Friday when we fly home. Any suggestions on trips out, must see places etc most welcome,

    THE HOOF

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,595
    Found a company who drove us from KL to Melaka for 250.
    Tomorrow returning to Thailand. Same company driving us to airport for 220. Both are a 2 hours drive.
    Bukit Bintang is the center of KL. Close by is Petronas towers. You can book through internet, easier than queing.
    If entering a bar ask the price of a beer, some of those have crazy prices.
    I love the old town of Melaka.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    50
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    Found a company who drove us from KL to Melaka for 250.
    Tomorrow returning to Thailand. Same company driving us to airport for 220. Both are a 2 hours drive.
    Bukit Bintang is the center of KL. Close by is Petronas towers. You can book through internet, easier than queing.
    If entering a bar ask the price of a beer, some of those have crazy prices.
    I love the old town of Melaka.
    Who is this company Capt, any names??

    THE HOOF

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,595
    Malaccataxi.com
    Malacca executive taxi services
    +6013 7063916
    Admin@malaccataxi.com

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •