Thread: F1 malaysia here i come,

F1 malaysia here i come,

Just booked flights to KL for the F1 in March, 4 of us doing a tour of duty. Cant wait. Doubt I'll make LOS though. Does anyone have any tips for any decent hotels in KL?? or things to do there, any info most appreciated,

Cheers

THE HOOF

Can't help with any info on KL Stu, never been there, the grand prix always looks pretty special though. I'm sure somebody here knows plenty about KL.

The GP track is very close to the airport where there is not much to do so I would say you would be better in the City. I always stay in the Bukit Bintang area where there are good restaurants, a whole street dedicated to superb hawker food, big shopping malls if that's your thing and plenty of good bars and a couple of clubs. There are a lot of hotels varying from basic to 5* so maybe a look at a site like 'booking.com' will help you choose.

It would be around an hours drive to the GP track at a cost of around 800 baht by taxi but buses and trains also run to the airport, a short hop from the track.

During F#1 weekend hotel prices shoot up the roof. There is one at Changkat i think is decent and is on the street of expat pubs and restaurants.

Try this one.

Radius International Hotel [Official Website] Bukit Bintang Kuala Lumpur

Lots of tour groups stay there, get a renovated room. Their prices are pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by soupdragon View Post
    The GP track is very close to the airport where there is not much to do so I would say you would be better in the City. I always stay in the Bukit Bintang area where there are good restaurants, a whole street dedicated to superb hawker food, big shopping malls if that's your thing and plenty of good bars and a couple of clubs. There are a lot of hotels varying from basic to 5* so maybe a look at a site like 'booking.com' will help you choose.

It would be around an hours drive to the GP track at a cost of around 800 baht by taxi but buses and trains also run to the airport, a short hop from the track.
    Doubt that 800 Baht will be enough. Yesterday I paid 123 Ringit (1200 Baht) from airport to close by Petronas towers

Quote Originally Posted by Nautilus View Post
    During F#1 weekend hotel prices shoot up the roof. There is one at Changkat i think is decent and is on the street of expat pubs and restaurants.

Try this one.

Radius International Hotel [Official Website] Bukit Bintang Kuala Lumpur

Lots of tour groups stay there, get a renovated room. Their prices are pretty good.
    I've stayed there and it was very good for the price. Like Nauti says get a renovated room.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    Doubt that 800 Baht will be enough. Yesterday I paid 123 Ringit (1200 Baht) from airport to close by Petronas towers
    Maybe they use the Phuket model of pricing 555 I was quoted 85 Ringgit from Bukit Bintang to the airport in November, that was a rank taxi so no surcharges and not on the meter just a fixed price.

Quote Originally Posted by soupdragon View Post
    Maybe they use the Phuket model of pricing 555 I was quoted 85 Ringgit from Bukit Bintang to the airport in November, that was a rank taxi so no surcharges.
    Yes, I was astonished. I asked price for going from Bukit Bintang to Melaka and was quoted 500 by a taxi driver

I've been twice , as others said very little to do around by the Airport , I sat in the K1 stand both times and had seats towards the right hand side , you see the cars leaving the pit , coming along the straight and they have to slow down quite a bit in front of you , bought the tickets directly from the track via their website

if I went again I would stay in the city , the first time I made a mistake and stayed half way between KL and the track ... cost a fortune in taxis , nice hotel though ... Palace of the Golden Horses ... The second time stayed in a motel by the Airport only a few mins from the track , but no nightlife at all

some good advice here

Malaysia F1 Grand Prix Spectator Guide
    'If it floats, flies or fcuks , it's cheaper to rent"

Thanks for all the tips so far guys. We will be staying in the Bukit Bintang area I reckon. F1 tickets now booked as well.

Just wondering, is there actually owt to do in and around KL from Monday (after the race) to the following Friday when we fly home. Any suggestions on trips out, must see places etc most welcome,

THE HOOF

Found a company who drove us from KL to Melaka for 250.
    Tomorrow returning to Thailand. Same company driving us to airport for 220. Both are a 2 hours drive.
    Bukit Bintang is the center of KL. Close by is Petronas towers. You can book through internet, easier than queing.
    If entering a bar ask the price of a beer, some of those have crazy prices.
    I love the old town of Melaka.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    Found a company who drove us from KL to Melaka for 250.
    Tomorrow returning to Thailand. Same company driving us to airport for 220. Both are a 2 hours drive.
    Bukit Bintang is the center of KL. Close by is Petronas towers. You can book through internet, easier than queing.
    If entering a bar ask the price of a beer, some of those have crazy prices.
    I love the old town of Melaka.
    Who is this company Capt, any names??

THE HOOF

Malaccataxi.com
    Malacca executive taxi services
    +6013 7063916
    Admin@malaccataxi.com