Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cricket 2014

Cricket 2014

The cricket fans seem to be a little few and far between on the new forum but thought there could be some use in a general cricket thread?

A couple of series on the go atm with Australia continuing good form in South Africa and the Kiwis getting one up on India....although that looked to be turning into 1 all until a superb double ton from McCullum.

Would be interested to hear the opinions of any South African supporters as to the washup from the first test as all we get here are sound bites and Australian viewpoint...

One thing I will say is that the Mitchell Johnson delivery that hit Amla was about as vicious a delivery as I think I've ever seen.
    From the side on shot it nearly knocked him off his feet. Amla's reaction to it was equally as brave as anything I've seen from a batsman.

Thank god for helmets!

Yeah Homer.....what can I say?

Annihilation is what people and the Press are saying here.

Depends on how you bounce back I guess so we will see what happens in Port Elizabeth but the general talk here is that Smith made a major error with the toss putting you guys into bat.......apparently he went too much with history at that ground.....Centurion instead of seeing what was in front of him.

The pitch was nasty.......but the question is why the South African's couldn't exploit it as well as Johnson did.

Smith is saying 'man-up'....no excuses.

So quite a bit of soul-searching.......we will see how they come back but psychologically they are on the back foot whereas before the First Test they were all quietly confident.

They need a big performance now all round after that display.

Watching Australia in SA makes me think England were lucky to get nil in the recent Ashes series.
    Australia are back without a doubt and Johnson and Warner are the main reason why.
    RIP Nicke June 1971 - Jan 2013.

AT SOME POINT IN LIFE, EVERYONE HAS GAMBLED ON A FART AND LOST.

I see Smith has also mentioned the last SA series against Pakistan which they lost the 1st Test badly but came back to win the series.

So I do expect a much better performance in PE.

It had better friggin' be....

Yes I was wondering about the response to the decision to put Australia in. It's always a very brave one from any captain on any wicket IMO.

Clarke pulled it off in the last series and was called a hero. You certainly get called a zero when it doesn't work....always a risk, as if you bat first and lose then the team get blamed, if you put the other side in and lose the skipper's often Robinson Crusoe 555

The pitch didn't look wonderful...but only from an up and down perspective from what I could tell?
    I think Smith might be surprised that the next pitch may react the same way with Johnson bowling. Somehow he managed to make it happen on all pitches here this summer when other quicks were a little mediocre...or at least not up to their usual form/speed.

Once again the opposition quicks - likes of Steyne and Morkel seemed well down on their usual pace like the Englishmen over here? I guess Steyne was sick to begin with which would explain that.

I have also heard that Morkel may have an injured/broken bowling hand/finger? I must say I missed all of that but it was mentioned by someone to me yesterday...have no idea of its accuracy but would be a big blow if he's doubtful for this next game?

What a fightback from New Zealand and 302 for McCullum with the middle order also scoring tons.
    It sounds like the wicket must be quite flat and you wouldn't think they could bowl India out in 60 overs or so...or would you?
    I guess one up in the series they decided to protect their lead rather than push for the win but anything can happen?

Either way some big names in cricket being knocked over at present.

Quote Originally Posted by dawsey View Post
    Australia are back without a doubt and Johnson and Warner are the main reason why.
    There is a little fat bloke waddling about in the background there that has had a lot to do with that.....he has restored the faith the team (and certain players) have in themselves

What a win for ireland beating the windies. Beat thrn by six wickets in a t20 in jamaica. Playing them again tomorrow.

So let's see what the 3rd day brings.

SA looking much better and looks like perfect cricketing conditions.

Should be an interesting first few hours but SA need to get rid of Warner asap.

Way to go.....Steve Smith next asap thanks

Lyon good enough.

Morkel looking fired up.....bowled at a speed of 152 yesterday so much better.

Morkel looking the goods bowling a similar line to Johnson from around the wicket but has quite a number of fielders back...a little bit bodyline in that respect maybe?

Just kidding, good to see they have fired up and are bowling back at their normal pace.

Is it an interesting pitch that has quickened from the dead mat early? Or are the SA bowlers making it look like it has? I think how they bowl to Johnson may tell the story?
    A great series unfolding. It's just a shame it is only 3 games

SA fielding almost second rate though...

Re the pitch think it is more a case of our bowlers actually turning up although Steyn is still off pace.....not sure why.

well a great declaration by the SA captain....AUS has to chase 448 to win...sorta gettable in your highest dreams albeit highly unlikely...but its not so high a figure as to have batsmen padding them away and play a straight bat to every ball

anyway AUS having a crack....3/153 in response....can't see them getting the runs or lasting the 5 days out but at least a great sporting declaration has made it interesting and this is what the game is all about

Hey Nels 100% right and you guys off to a cracker already.

I don't really mind if you get it to be honest coz it will be well deserved.

Not a roll over like the 1st test.

You know it's all over TWD?

Not yet Nick.

But it's do able.

SA bowlers need to come out firing early in the morning or face the consequences.

Quote Originally Posted by Thin White Duke View Post
    Not yet Nick.

But it's do able.

SA bowlers need to come out firing early in the morning or face the consequences.
    But the game has finished TWD... SA won... 555

BBC Sport - South Africa v Australia: Proteas level series with 231-run win

Well blow me down with a feather......5555

Was expecting a full day tomorrow.

555 I think everyone here in Aus knew it was well and truly over...

A complete mirror image of the first test. SA dominated every day and deserved an easy victory.

Our mainstay in the batting let us down this test....Smith, Haddin and Johnson 555

The rest are woeful every second test match, you certainly wouldn't want them fighting for you. Something definitely wrong with MC. Not his usual class and mistake free self atm.

The next one will be interesting. Aus didn't let England off the canvas but now SA are back it would be surprising not to see them dominate the last test as well.

I thought it was a great ending to one of the better series I've seen in quite a long time. Very evenly matched sides, with the result as expected under those circumstances going with the toss (well the team batting first).

The last days play of the last test was probably the best summation of the series and quality with proud, gritty performances from both sides.

Farewell to Graeme Smith. A truly great SA player with the stats he's accumulated. Never been one of my personal favourites but can see why he would be a SA hero.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast