Thread: Nostalgia - Old Race Bikes

Nostalgia - Old Race Bikes

Just scanning some more old pics in and had to share this, talk about a trip down memory lane. This is my tatty old 1980 350LC, it got me into a lot of trouble this bike; I was only 19 and had no licence or any of that silly stuff. It got me out of a bit of trouble from time to time as well because I never got caught while I was riding it, they had to sneak up when I was parked to get me

I ended up taking it off the road and going racing, I was never any good at the racing but the trips were brilliant and racing at Mallory and Cadwell was pretty special having seen all the big boys racing there on TV.

If I could go back in time and rescue one posession from my past this would be it.

This is my tatty old RD250, I raced this in open class so could use modified exhausts etc. This bike was just such a hoot in every way, this was my second season and I was still a pretty bad racer but the open class was much better than the production class with the LC, there was more space and time. Production class is all elbows and knees and aggressive nutters.

I really don't know why I painted it pink, even now thirty years on I can't think of a good reason. The picture does make me smile though, this was taken at Mansfield, Cadwell park in ( I think ) 1984.

Superb.. Those Rapid Deaths were the hot bike when I was a teen.. And the RG500 gamma..

Great stuff..............I cant believe i don't have an pictures of my bikes

Quote Originally Posted by Geespot View Post
    Great stuff..............I cant believe i don't have an pictures of my bikes
    I had loads of bikes when I was a kid and it never occurred to me to take pictures of them, we just didn't think of it. These are old prints that I've just scanned in but I'm so pleased to have them.

Two strokes are pretty much dead and buried now but those things were just wild. The 350 had some work done on it, port smoothing and new reed valves; bigger jets in the carb. When it hit it's power at 6000rpm it just took off, huge fun but scarily dangerous.

Those RG500s never seemed to catch on for some reason, I thought they were sensational. You see a few of the 500 Yamahas on ebay but I can't recall seing one of those.