Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Photography Gear - Tech talk.

Photography Gear - Tech talk.

Decided to start a new thread devoted to Photography kit and tech, as opposed to the actual images created by the same.

============================
    I make an effort to not post gear talk, as I think it distracts from the pictures which is what ultimately matters..

But for the non gear geek, the less serious shooter who wants still wants to get the top end shots, something that goes in the pocket, for travel or street. This is going to be an amazing bit of kit.

Sony Officially Reveals the RX100 Mark III, Boasts Brighter Lens & Pop-Up Viewfinder

Now with a viewfinder (I far prefer a VF instead of screen) the only possible thing I can see to complain about is the lack of the hotshoe they brought in on the Mk2, for the guys who want to use an external flash or trigger.

Thats a powerful little carry everywhere everytime cam.
    Last edited by LivinLOS; 17th May 2014 at 10:08.

Thanks for that LOS
    I've been after a portable camera with a viewfinder as I find it impossible to see the screen especially at night.
    Looks really great but at US$800 it makes me consider how badly my camera's get treated.
    Will have a look when it gets in store.

Yeah its not a cheap point and shoot.. But its pretty much best in class for the pocket cam market.

I have made a total effort to not look at any gear centric sites or read too much about new tech, the kit I already have is not being used fully I really feel you fall into this trap of thinking this item will be the solution, when it isnt the item, it isnt the kit (or at least rarely) its about doing it more.

However I recently decided that being locked into a single prime while a great lens, it very limiting and started to hunt about for a semi wide, but small and easy to carry, kit lens (I am on a M43 setup). In hunting about though, you end up reading all the cool new toys, like the RX100 above and one piece of kit is a revolution.

The style of photography that I most like is the more street / documentary / travel I suppose.. And even within that the nightlife, bar, street, candid stuff.. That Jim shoots so much of, is both what I like to see, and also some of the hardest and most expensive to capture. If your avoiding flash, you need fast glass and high ISO. Good glass is always costly on any system and high ISO ranges is the current push. So enter the Sony A7s.

This full frame beast will work up to 409,600 ISO !! Thats like night vision !! OK sure it gets a bit messy way up there but look at what you can capture. In darkness !!

Doing that without flaring the points of light within the scene is just nuts.

But rather than just make a tech point.. Much much more interesting is the images in a real world setup you can capture with it.. This nighttime series of Indian streets is haunting.

Nightscapes by Gavin Evans: Indian cities after dark ? in pictures | Cities | theguardian.com

Just amazing. I wish these were higher rez..

So ok.. The camera does not make the art.. But clearly, for this kind of work, without tripods and massive exposure times, the camera does make the picture. Night time street photography.. Just WOW !!

I think this is really exciting, as camera makers have stopped the megapixel arms race and are working to higher quality imaging, bigger more sensitive sensors, and we will see this trickle down to the next gen of cheaper kit.

As much as this just floors me, I wont be rushing out to pre-order one.. But the next couple of years we will should see the low / mid end prosumer stuff have some of this power. An uber high ISO M43rds body ?? Yeah that will be my next upgrade.
    NeedHoliday and JimCA2 like this.

Yes
    I recently started using the Lumix GX7.built in VF,I am pretty happy with it.
    For me my problem with taking pics is a lack of creativity not the gear.

I get the occasional good pic more by luck than anything.

I am using a GX1 with an add on hot shoe viewfinder.. Got really tempted by the GX7 and the OMD also. One minor thing I didnt like the way the viewfinder on the GX7 stick so far back off the body. Everything else is really slick for a small shooter. The quality of imaging on these things is amazing these days, and so much glass options which are comparatively on a budget for M43.

Like I said tho.. I really think I will keep the body until mega ISO ranges come along.. Thats the real desire goal for me. Of course lenses potentially but I like the M43 form factor a lot and think theres a lot of life in that format so that bothers me a lot less than bodies which are old by next year. The f2.8 constant zoom makes some wonderful sharp images but its a bit large on a small body.

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    the only possible thing I can see to complain about is the lack of the hotshoe they brought in on the Mk2, for the guys who want to use an external flash or trigger.
    There is a lot of talk about this camera, and for a pocket camera it looks like a great piece of kit. I don't think the lack of a hot shoe is a biggie, as this is supposed to be a pocket camera. If your going to lug around a flash, then you may as well carry something bigger, like a mirrorless camera.

Quote Originally Posted by Coolhand View Post
    There is a lot of talk about this camera, and for a pocket camera it looks like a great piece of kit. I don't think the lack of a hot shoe is a biggie, as this is supposed to be a pocket camera. If your going to lug around a flash, then you may as well carry something bigger, like a mirrorless camera.
    It is a very minor gripe.. Tho to the kind of serious shooter maybe more of one than to a casual user ??

The best camera is the one you have with you, and this cam would appear to be a pocket sized device, capable of professional level output. No its isnt consumer cam cheap, but you really cant have everything.

I believe John Vink was using one of the RX line, maybe even the fixed lens RX1 for a lot of his work in Cambodia

Cambodia: John Vink A Fine Thread - The Eye of Photography

I am really looking into digi cams again, im so into using my Samsung galaxy s4 for pictures. Im lazy to carry another device

Quote Originally Posted by Nautilus View Post
    I am really looking into digi cams again, im so into using my Samsung galaxy s4 for pictures. Im lazy to carry another device
    No doubt about it, the imaging in modern smartphones is good enough for snaps these days..

Its reduced camera buyers to people who want a bit of creative control. I also dont see the need for a baseline digicam if its for holiday and bar type shots.

Never been a camera guru, haven't got a clue about anything beyond megapixels, but I find my iPhone 4S camera lacks a lot when I try and take decent pictures. It's either too dark, or blurred, or I can't target the area I want.

I've never had the patience to carry around another camera though, and I don't think I'd have the slightest clue how to take a better picture even if I had a better camera. So if there is a cheap digital camera that like smartphones is easy to just point and shoot but gets decent photos, I'd consider it - but so far all the cameras and talk about them goes way over my head.

I've also seen pictures from people that I wasn't impressed with either and could probably get as good a picture with my iPhone - so I'm guessing there's a pretty big jump between cheap/smartphone cameras and the ones that for example people post in the photography thread.

Advantages of a cheapish point and shoot over a phone are..

Zoom
    Flash
    Quick to turn on
    Usually a bit better low light

Downsides are another thing to carry, size, etc..

other pros for a camera - you don't get phone calls from BGs you don't want to see again.
    LivinLOS, Dkdude and JimCA2 like this.

I thought that the Ricoh GR showed some promise:

Pentax Ricoh GR review | Compact camera reviews: Compact reviews, tests and specifications | Amateur Photographer

I'm looking for something that will fit in my pocket and produce decent images in low light. The little Leica I bought last year was a fairly sizeable disappointment in that sense, although it does produce really nice images in decent light and it does fit in my pocket.

The Ricoh is using an APS-C sized sensor which really should help with low light so looks to be a step in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post

The style of photography that I most like is the more street / documentary / travel I suppose.. And even within that the nightlife, bar, street, candid stuff.. That Jim shoots so much of, is both what I like to see, and also some of the hardest and most expensive to capture. If your avoiding flash, you need fast glass and high ISO. Good glass is always costly on any system and high ISO ranges is the current push. So enter the Sony A7s.

This full frame beast will work up to 409,600 ISO !! Thats like night vision !! OK sure it gets a bit messy way up there but look at what you can capture. In darkness !!
    That video is staggering, never seen anything like that before.
    Last edited by LivinLOS; 18th May 2014 at 18:13.

Quote Originally Posted by TLandHim View Post
    I've been after a portable camera with a viewfinder as I find it impossible to see the screen especially at night.
    Just to alert you to the possible option in the LX8.. Expected to announce June 16 and will also feature an EVF, great lens and larger sensor.. Tho with those things in place also will be at the upper end of the point and shoot price band.

The LX series of cams have been superb little shooters.. The LX7 can now be had at only 190 GBP which is a bargain for a point and shoot with an F1.4 lens on it.. No EVF tho which was my reason for mentioning the LX8.

Depending on how much size matters.. The G16 (also viewfinder) is also a bargain currently, but it takes a real leap to call that a pocket camera. One reason I loved my little s95 was it took adequate snaps, was smart at fill flash and quality was ok, yet it was still actually pocket sized and a good snaps cam. Everyone has different needs and biases, once a camera starts to be the size it wont go in a jeans pocket, then it may as well be a interchangeable lens system camera, if you have to have it hanging on a strap, can be 'rangefinder' type size as makes little difference to me by then.

For the desire for viewfinder I think you will have a few options actually on the market by year end. Seems to be the higher end consumer cam add on for this cycle.

WD Announces the Ultimate On-Location Hard Drive with WiFi and an SD Slot Built Right In

A real need solved pretty elegantly (and not that expensive).. For anyone that shoots a lot while travelling.. Thats a solid solution.

Quick question from a noob. Having just got a good deal on my first DSLR the budget allows for one more lens. I have decided on something to give me a bit more range a 55-250mm. My question is are the Canon STM lenses worth the extra.

Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II Lens for Canon | Lazada.co.th

https://www.dzone2.com/Content/Produ..._id_location=0

The STM from Hong Kong should cost 7870 after taxes (if customs don't stiff me).

Quote Originally Posted by soupdragon View Post
    Quick question from a noob. Having just got a good deal on my first DSLR the budget allows for one more lens. I have decided on something to give me a bit more range a 55-250mm. My question is are the Canon STM lenses worth the extra.

Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II Lens for Canon | Lazada.co.th

https://www.dzone2.com/Content/Produ..._id_location=0

The STM from Hong Kong should cost 7870 after taxes (if customs don't stiff me).
    With lenses, usually paying a little more is worth it in the long run. Nothing sucks more than buying the cheaper lens and then going out and buying the more expensive option anyway because you are not happy with the image quality. When you first have your camera, you are usually so blown away by how much better the images are than whatever your were using before, but trust me, you will become much more critical (perhaps ridiculously so), over time. Things that seem small now will annoy you later.

I have been very happy with this one:

Canon U.S.A. : Consumer & Home Office : EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM

I think it can be picked up for a little over $400 US.

It is one step up from the one you posted but IMO it is a solid middle of the road lens and I use it whenever I am shooting in wide open spaces. (Which is about half the time), and in Phuket you will also have plenty of opportunities.

Since your camera has an APS-C sensor, this will be an effective 480mm, which is crazy reach, and the image quality (good not great), image stabilization, accurate somewhat speedy focus, is all good.

In general, I think the decision to invest in higher quality optics dwarf the choice of which body you choose. A rebel with top quality glass will beat a Mark III or 1DX with a shitty lens.
    LivinLOS likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast