Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Night photography..

Night photography..

Didnt want to spoil the extravaganza thread which seems to be best kept user submissions.. And didnt really see where else this could slot in.

A really good workshop / Q&A with Jeff Cable. Covering night shooting of the longer exposure type.

Some great images tho this style tends to landscapes a little more than I like. But none the less inspiring stuff with some good ideas and storys to them.

I'll bite. good video and book marked his page. looks like a lot of good stuff there.

IMG_7294a.jpg

23mm f18 iso 320 3.2 seconds

Independence christmas.jpg

24mm f22 iso 100 25seconds

dont carry a tripod and usually use a cell phone, cigarette pack or a rock to prop the camera. lost a cell phone in the river once because of that. I definitely need to pick up a shutter release and liked what he said about the strap blowing in the wind. I didnt know quick release straps were available.

Yeah I found it interesting and easily accessible.. I have never been into doing long exposure.. Now I think I want to have a tinker.

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    Yeah I found it interesting and easily accessible.. I have never been into doing long exposure.. Now I think I want to have a tinker.
    I'm not finished watching the video, but so far very interesting. I may not buy a tripod, but I think I will buy a remote cable. However, long exposure is not usable when taking photos of people, like night life photos in Thailand.

Quote Originally Posted by Greatdane View Post
    I'm not finished watching the video, but so far very interesting. I may not buy a tripod, but I think I will buy a remote cable. However, long exposure is not usable when taking photos of people, like night life photos in Thailand.
    Not unless you want those ghostly movements (and paused people) which in itself can make for an interesting shot.

I have a micro tripid.. Good for positioning on a wall or similar somewhere.. Now I want to learn how to use the timer setting.

I agree tho.. static landscapes rarely do a great deal for me, he had some great shots in there, and was good advice.. But its not the type of shots that excite me. Street, documentary, nightlife, candid, those are the things I like.

I have a friend in the hotel right now and we were talking about (not) carrying a tripod due to the inconvenience involved. He was talking about a bean bag. What an excellent idea. I Asia, there are plenty of seamstresses around to fabricate something. It would be ideal to carry and for placing on odd shaped surfaces as well.

Yeah good thinking.. Used to use heavy ones to hold GPS's on dashboards..

Another light bulb went off in the market yesterday, just grab a couple of cups of rice in a plastic bag.
    LivinLOS likes this.

JimCA2 likes this.
    'If it floats, flies or fcuks , it's cheaper to rent"

Quote Originally Posted by JimCA2 View Post
    Another light bulb went off in the market yesterday, just grab a couple of cups of rice in a plastic bag.
    Ghetto mods I like it.
    JimCA2 likes this.

Gorilla pods are pretty much available in any photography shop in Thailand.
    I have a similar version for a GoPro. Probably the most versatile mount / tripod thingie I have seen.

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    I agree tho.. static landscapes rarely do a great deal for me, he had some great shots in there, and was good advice.. But its not the type of shots that excite me. Street, documentary, nightlife, candid, those are the things I like.
    I think the gorilla pod would work well on the street with a lot of lamp post around and just enough to drop shutter speeds and isos down with out people moving too much. You would have to be in an active area set up. This was with a 200mm and I dont like to go lower than 100ss when using it. 1/125 at iso 10000 2.8

IMG_5609.jpg

Wide angle and lower mm lenses are more forgiving.

IMG_5748.jpg

16mm iso 3200 1/60 2.8
    ub2yoo, LivinLOS and PadMC like this.

And more in line with Sef was talking about.....

IMG_1484.jpgIMG_1676.jpgIMG_1679.jpgIMG_6770.jpg

Ahh the class of 51
    Waharoa likes this.

As part of my internet networking to try to direct traffic to my business website I have done some cnn ireports. Periodically they have various assignments and when they look interesting or fun, I jump on the band wagon. I submitted 3 reports as you know me, I take more than enough pics. These deal with an assignment on neon. I have posted shots from Phnom Penh and Thailand.

Neon Required - CNN iReport

Phnom Penh Neon - CNN iReport

Neon Still Thrives In Thailand - CNN iReport
    LivinLOS and tnlawyer like this.

IMG_8159.jpg

200mm 2.8 6400 iso 1/250th

Wat Phnom
    Thin White Duke likes this.

IMG_4211a.jpgIMG_4230a.jpgIMG_4269a.jpgIMG_4296a.jpgIMG_4310a.jpg

Five from the wat across the street from my place. Pchum ben holiday gearing up.
    ub2yoo, Dkdude and PadMC like this.

Saw them on facebook.. Love the contrasts between the color lighting and the traditional building..

IMG_6337.jpgIMG_6476a.jpg

last couple of days.
    Waharoa and LivinLOS like this.

IMG_6683a.jpgIMG_6698.jpgIMG_6702a.jpg

Last few from the end of the holiday at the wat.
    LivinLOS likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast