Page 23 of 35 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast
Like Tree127Likes

Thread: Rugby 2015

Bit close for comfert but got the win in what was probably the worst match in the World cup so far.

Thought Italy was going to produce a shock there...

I am still hoping Ireland finish second in their group... 55

Different code I know, but just watch the Aussie NRL Grand Final from today. Now that's a proper game. Union can still only dream of that intensity, physicality and commitment to the job. Absolutely outstanding game. Just shows how far behind we are (superleague). Seems the same in Union as well unfortunately.

THE HOOF

Quote Originally Posted by HOOF HEARTED View Post
    Different code I know, but just watch the Aussie NRL Grand Final from today. Now that's a proper game. Union can still only dream of that intensity, physicality and commitment to the job. Absolutely outstanding game. Just shows how far behind we are (superleague). Seems the same in Union as well unfortunately.

THE HOOF
    Can't agree... but each to their own... ;-)

It's just bosh bosh bosh. No nuance at all. Basically a game for thickos 555
    Waharoa likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by kris-one View Post
    It's just bosh bosh bosh. No nuance at all. Basically a game for thickos 555
    I used to be a big fan of League in the 80s and 90s when what Hoof says was true... but Union has now caught up physically... and as you say, I find League frustratingly too stop/start...

The variety and continuity of Union is what elevates it for me...

Dunno about thickos. Odd that Union pay big wedges for the best RL players. And lets be honest, they'd break the bank for Jonathan Thurston if he'd switch.

I understand its a different game, and I have been involved with both codes up to international level, but my point is for sheer excitement League is streets ahead. The fitness levels are higher and the ball is in play for much longer. Don't get me wrong, a game of Union played well is a nice spectacle, but IMO not a patch on League. Both codes can learn from each other.

THE HOOF

Quote Originally Posted by Waharoa View Post
    I used to be a big fan of League in the 80s and 90s when what Hoof says was true... but Union has now caught up physically... and as you say, I find League frustratingly too stop/start...

The variety and continuity of Union is what elevates it for me...

I think you'll find the ball is in play way more in League. I've never actually timed it, but when I have had to produce a game of Union for coaching purposes, we have had occasions of the actual footage lasting just over 20 mins. We cant get League down that low, so to me that tells me something about the stop/start.

I do think the video ref is used too much in League at the moment tho, so I can see your point re stop start there, but that's just the way technology evolves I suppose.

THE HOOF

I think you'll find the ball is in play way more in League. I've never actually timed it, but when I have had to produce a game of Union for coaching purposes, we have had occasions of the actual footage lasting just over 20 mins. We cant get League down that low, so to me that tells me something about the stop/start.

I do think the video ref is used too much in League at the moment tho, so I can see your point re stop start there, but that's just the way technology evolves I suppose.

THE HOOF
    League stops after every tackle... that's the problem...

You can't compare fitness levels... two different sports. Much more diverse range of player sizes due to specific requirements of each position. No scrums (to speak of) or lineouts in League. No proper rucks or mauls...
    Last edited by Waharoa; 5th October 2015 at 02:48.

Dunno about thickos. Odd that Union pay big wedges for the best RL players. And lets be honest, they'd break the bank for Jonathan Thurston if he'd switch.

I understand its a different game, and I have been involved with both codes up to international level, but my point is for sheer excitement League is streets ahead. The fitness levels are higher and the ball is in play for much longer. Don't get me wrong, a game of Union played well is a nice spectacle, but IMO not a patch on League. Both codes can learn from each other.

THE HOOF
    And why is League struggling to grow in the UK? It seems to be only flourishing in Australia... whereas Union is the fastest growing sport in the world...

FitzSimons: Rugby Word Cup shows NRL, AFL are mere specks on global scale | Stuff.co.nz

I say Pattaya....555

Quote Originally Posted by Waharoa View Post
    And why is League struggling to grow in the UK?
    League is just a regional sport in the UK. Outside of Lancashire and Yorkshire there is no interest.
    I'd like to see the viewing figures for televised games to see if there is interest outside of the above areas.
    I've watched a bit of league, but the idea of kicking/giving the ball back to the opposition after 6 tackles seems stupid to me 5555
    Last edited by dawsey; 6th October 2015 at 00:57.
    RIP Nicke June 1971 - Jan 2013.

AT SOME POINT IN LIFE, EVERYONE HAS GAMBLED ON A FART AND LOST.

It's the dress code that puts me off.

THE HOOF
    Have a look at the Wales V Ireland match from this years 6 Nations where Ireland laid siege to the Welsh line and couldn't break it. It's hard to think of a more intense period from any other game I've ever seen.

My problem with league is its repetitive, predictive nature, the 6 tackle rule just seems to be a hindrance more than anything else. Add in no scrums, lineouts or competing at the breakdown and you've a fairly one dimensional game which is why I think league has limited appeal. It's a slimmed down version of Union. Players are paid big money to switch as Union is the game where the money is because that's where the audiences are. Union players are paid a lot of money to go to Japan as their careers are winding down, using your logic this makes the Japanese league one of the best. Don't forget when Jonah Lomu first came on the scene all the talk was of him going to League as this had a more professional setup in the '90's whereas Union was only embracing the paid structures. But this has changed and RL is now very much the poor relation.
    Last edited by dontpanic; 6th October 2015 at 02:10.
    Waharoa likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dawsey View Post
    League is just a regional sport in the UK. Outside of Lancashire and Yorkshire there is no interest.
    I'd like to see the viewing figures for televised games to see if there is interest outside of the above areas.
    I've watched a bit of league, but the idea of kicking/giving the ball back to the opposition after 6 tackles seems stupid to me 5555
    Heyup Rog how you & family doing, all well I hope.

I fully accept that in the UK RL is realistically an M62 corridor sport. And internationally Union is way way bigger, however my point is that League is far more exciting to watch. You say giving the ball back after 6 tackles, well, in Union they may not even get to a tackle and its a you kick and we'll kick scenario.

I remember years back I was working at Swansea, and they were down 3 or 4 points with a couple of minutes to go. They get the ball, and immediately kick the f***ing thing back to the opposition. They lost. In the dressing room after the game the coach asked them how the f**k they thought they could win by kicking the ball to the opposition with just minutes to go. He was met with blank expressions. Now, whose the thickos ??

I get they are way different sports, and Union has way more money, exposure etc, but sorry, its just not as exciting, not for me anyways.

THE HOOF

Heyup Rog how you & family doing, all well I hope.

I fully accept that in the UK RL is realistically an M62 corridor sport. And internationally Union is way way bigger, however my point is that League is far more exciting to watch. You say giving the ball back after 6 tackles, well, in Union they may not even get to a tackle and its a you kick and we'll kick scenario.

I remember years back I was working at Swansea, and they were down 3 or 4 points with a couple of minutes to go. They get the ball, and immediately kick the f***ing thing back to the opposition. They lost. In the dressing room after the game the coach asked them how the f**k they thought they could win by kicking the ball to the opposition with just minutes to go. He was met with blank expressions. Now, whose the thickos ??

I get they are way different sports, and Union has way more money, exposure etc, but sorry, its just not as exciting, not for me anyways.

THE HOOF

I must admit I am surprised that League hasn't taken off on a world scale. It's an easy to understand, simple sport... it should be easy to market it to the world...

But for some reason, a lot of people find Union to be exciting too...

Stupidity isn't exclusive to any spot, didn't an English challange cup final have a guy sent off for throwing a punch for no good reason in the first few minutes of the game a year or two ago? I haven't seen the aussie final but one of my favorite games was Leinster's comeback against Northampton which was real edge of the seat stuff. But for pure tension it would be hard to beat the last World cup final even though it finished 8-7 the drama that unfolded on and off the pitch really was memorable.

Lood de Jaager is leading the tournament in tackles made.

That is impressive for a lock.

^And seeing he hasn't played every game. By the way... has anyone seen Lood and Joe Launchbury together? They look like twins... 55

Both going to be long term first pick locks as well...

Anyway, big match for Uruguay tomorrow night...

The boys and I are going out as the England Rugby team for Halloween.

We're not dressing up, we're just going out early!
    Waharoa, nelsonone and dawsey like this.

Page 23 of 35 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast