Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Mercedes tuning

  1. #1
    Super Moderator dawsey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    2,234

    Mercedes tuning

    Haven't been on the forum very much over the past few months as I have been using my spare time to follow another big interest. Getting power from my Mercedes
    The video below sort of shows what is capable from a C63, which is shown giving the Swedish police the runaround in a 7 minute clip. The main action starts about 2min 30sec in.
    In no way am I condoning the danger and high speed, but I am amazed at the capability of a 2/4 door family car being a shopping trolley one day and a capable track car the next.
    Turn up the sound

    RIP Nicke June 1971 - Jan 2013.

    AT SOME POINT IN LIFE, EVERYONE HAS GAMBLED ON A FART AND LOST.

  2. #2
    Super Moderator LivinLOS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    14,153
    Yeah.. I am a little against the big mercs as its nearly all slushboxes.. I am a manual man who wants a 3 rd pedal.. Even tho merc ones are usually very good seeing something like the SLK AMG55 in auto only isnt my ideal..

    Huge power from those big engines and always strong drivetrains..

  3. #3
    Super Moderator dawsey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    2,234
    Hardly a manual MB left now. All autoboxes with delayed gearchanges is pretty frustrating.
    Here's my E55 AMG.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    LivinLOS, sting, junkhouse and 1 others like this.
    RIP Nicke June 1971 - Jan 2013.

    AT SOME POINT IN LIFE, EVERYONE HAS GAMBLED ON A FART AND LOST.

  4. #4
    Senior Member WarProfiteer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    2,031
    Do you take it to the track?

    Something I've discovered through all the classes I've had over the last 18 months is... if you want a faster vehicle, learn to be a better driver. Most people dont have the ability to even remotely come close to the limits of what their vehicles are capable of because they've simply never learned from professional drivers.
    soupdragon and dawsey like this.

  5. #5
    Senior Member WarProfiteer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    2,031
    ^Reminds me of a car show I was watching while I was home... some semi-reality based show about a performance car dealership. I dont remember the name (EDIT; it's called Legendary Motorcar), but the episode featured a guy that had a new-ish highly customized 650HP Mustang, but was looking to trade it in on something more powerful. The owner of the dealership convinced him to keep it and instead they went to a 3 day performance driving clinic... then the guy (obviously wealthy) agreed to start doing track days with a local club and 4 personal coaching sessions per year... or it was something like that... but the owner of the dealership was saying to him in the early part of show "putting 650 horsepower to the ground is already nearly impossible for a normal street car... you dont need more horsepower, you need to learn to use the horsepower you have".
    Last edited by WarProfiteer; 1st February 2015 at 08:06.

  6. #6
    Super Moderator LivinLOS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    14,153
    Quote Originally Posted by WarProfiteer View Post
    Something I've discovered through all the classes I've had over the last 18 months is... if you want a faster vehicle, learn to be a better driver. Most people dont have the ability to even remotely come close to the limits of what their vehicles are capable of because they've simply never learned from professional drivers.
    Yes and no.. I think theres no subsitute for seat time and sliding a car about..

    When I was a teen, before cameras appeared every few 100m.. You could hoon about, and we did.. The back country roads around somerset were our racetracks.. And dangerous as it was, there was a group of us that were pretty competent, getting to be able to drift a car about just takes trying it 100s and 100s of times, and usually binning a few cars into ditches. But do agree you need to drive at (and beyond) the limit of traction.. Something most sensible people wont do on the road..

    Of course better safer and with a higher standard of competition is getting into some kind of club racing.. The UK has all kinds of car series, little MX5 cup racing etc.. Great fun if your there.. Can get a little RWD car to crash for the price of a scooter here.

  7. #7
    Senior Member WarProfiteer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    2,031
    Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    Of course better safer and with a higher standard of competition is getting into some kind of club racing.. The UK has all kinds of car series, little MX5 cup racing etc.. Great fun if your there.. Can get a little RWD car to crash for the price of a scooter here.
    Yeah, if I ever went back stateside, this is something I would definitely get into... it can be done so much cheaper than most people think. I've seen episodes of Roadkill where they pick up trucks capable of hauling a track prepped cup car for just $2K. I've seen episodes of Afterdrive where they pick cars they'd own for $5K or less and often someone can find a decent cup car MX5 or the like. Hell, the kid from My Life As A Rallyist got into weekend rally racing for peanuts, using his daily driver and just swapping the rims & tires. I have always though getting involved in that kind of thing would be so damn fun.

  8. #8
    Super Moderator LivinLOS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    14,153
    Yeah back there hobby cars are more about workshop space and time to do it.. Especially if your shooting for drivers car with no desire to have 'flash' like shiny modern and brand.. If your happy to just rag the guts out of a turbo MR2 or something its not an expensive pastime. I actually dig the whole retro street / race stuff.. Like JDM 280s or RX7s.. Maybe its because I wanted them in the 80s..

    I personally find the way that cameras changed uk driving more than a little sad.. The next step of course will be automated self driving cars and that whole slippery slope..

  9. #9
    Senior Member WarProfiteer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    2,031
    Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    I personally find the way that cameras changed uk driving more than a little sad.. The next step of course will be automated self driving cars and that whole slippery slope..
    I hope not... basically that would be like racing radio controlled toys. Half the fun of doing a track day is the sensation of speed and slight feel of danger while you do your best to walk the line between pushing the car to it's limits but not too far beyond so you dont end up in the dirt.

  10. #10
    Super Moderator LivinLOS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    14,153
    Well not for tracks obviously.. But it will become so commonplace, and will be based on safety arguments.. That few people will retain the skills to drive..

    Cars and bikes on the limit 2 very different mental places.. Bikes your flying, your exposed, and sliding a bike in its most basic sense is so much more knife edge and difficult. I am a much better driver than I am a rider, without being boastful there were a lot of racers around growing up, and sliding a motor around I was one of the best.. There were a couple of guys maybe more balls out, but they tended to wipe out cars more than me.

    One of the only people I know who can drift, left foot brake, and maintain slick car control better than me is my brother.. He got really good..

  11. #11
    Super Moderator LivinLOS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    14,153
    I cant find this on youtube to embed it.. But the self driving RS7 prototype from Audi is pretty insane..

    https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v...40&pnref=story

    Theres been press in TIME WIRED etc the last 2 weeks.. Driverless is the next thing and in 5 years all high end cars will have it. In 10 years it will be standard features..

    For this a little bit of me dies inside..

  12. #12
    Senior Member WarProfiteer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    2,031
    Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    For this a little bit of me dies inside..
    Yep. Half of me is impressed by the technological feat of it, but the other half worries it'll mean the death of something I love.

  13. #13
    Senior Member BroTiger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Seattle WA, USA
    Posts
    658
    I don't see driverless cars being a reality except on very carefully maintained roads. Most of the roads around here are constantly in a state of revision, with old lane markings that haven't been completely removed and new markets that are barely visible in adverse lighting conditions.

  14. #14
    Super Moderator LivinLOS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    14,153
    Quote Originally Posted by BroTiger View Post
    I don't see driverless cars being a reality except on very carefully maintained roads. Most of the roads around here are constantly in a state of revision, with old lane markings that haven't been completely removed and new markets that are barely visible in adverse lighting conditions.
    Well they just drove 550 miles in one on open rds..

  15. #15
    Super Moderator dawsey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    2,234
    Quote Originally Posted by WarProfiteer View Post
    Do you take it to the track?

    Something I've discovered through all the classes I've had over the last 18 months is... if you want a faster vehicle, learn to be a better driver. Most people dont have the ability to even remotely come close to the limits of what their vehicles are capable of because they've simply never learned from professional drivers.
    No never tracked this car although I'm hoping to do VMax at some point. (VMax is by invite and is mainly supercars hoping to break 200mph)

    I agree fully with getting advanced driving for these cars. The time it takes to reach silly speeds is unbelievable.
    RIP Nicke June 1971 - Jan 2013.

    AT SOME POINT IN LIFE, EVERYONE HAS GAMBLED ON A FART AND LOST.

  16. #16
    Super Moderator dawsey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    2,234
    Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    I cant find this on youtube to embed it.. But the self driving RS7 prototype from Audi is pretty insane..



    For this a little bit of me dies inside..
    I think this is what you are looking for Sef

    RIP Nicke June 1971 - Jan 2013.

    AT SOME POINT IN LIFE, EVERYONE HAS GAMBLED ON A FART AND LOST.

  17. #17
    Senior Member slampay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,640
    My neighbor and friend is a newly retired commander on the California Highway Patrol. He spent about 17 years as the emergency driving instructor at the CHP academy, and is a legend among the chippies.

    He told me once, "slam, every swinging dick believes that they are great drivers....till they find out there NOT."

    He's seen more than his share of sports cars crushed into trees...
    LivinLOS and Dkdude like this.
    A woman won The Nobel Peace Prize? Must have been a pretty good sandwich.

  18. #18
    Senior Member BroTiger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Seattle WA, USA
    Posts
    658

    Mercedes tuning

    Quote Originally Posted by dawsey View Post
    I think this is what you are looking for Sef

    Fun stuff. I wonder how the Stig would do behind the wheel. As a test case, that was probably the most idea set of conditions possible .

    More to the point, how would the piloted vehicle perform in a field of competitive drivers.

  19. #19
    Senior Member WarProfiteer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    2,031
    Quote Originally Posted by slampay View Post
    My neighbor and friend is a newly retired commander on the California Highway Patrol. He spent about 17 years as the emergency driving instructor at the CHP academy, and is a legend among the chippies.

    He told me once, "slam, every swinging dick believes that they are great drivers....till they find out there NOT."

    He's seen more than his share of sports cars crushed into trees...
    I'd agree with this. I know slews of guys who think they are great drivers, but never really had any track days or classes to develop their skillset.

    I do agree that occasionally there's a guy like Sef who has made it a point to practice drifting out in the countryside, but that isnt most people. I'd bet that 98% of guys have never even intentionally tried to drift a car, nor even learn the basics of cornering on a track & stringing corners together.

    It reminds me of the guys who think they are quite tough and can fight, then they step into a fight gym for the first time and figure out real quick they arent and they cant.

  20. #20
    Super Moderator LivinLOS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    14,153
    Quote Originally Posted by WarProfiteer View Post
    I do agree that occasionally there's a guy like Sef who has made it a point to practice drifting out in the countryside, but that isnt most people.
    Maybe its the fact that growing up in the country we had both the roads and not much else to do.. Cars were a huge thing in our teenage years..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •