Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Car Bomb? at Central Festival Samui, Fires Also in Surat Thani and Phangna

Car Bomb? at Central Festival Samui, Fires Also in Surat Thani and Phangna

From Samui Times

At approximately 10-30 there was an explosion in the underground car park at Central Festival in Chaweng. The bomb goes off at Central Festivalarea has now been cordoned off. Ambulances and rescue teams were seen arriving at the scene, it is unclear if anybody was injured in the explosion however some reports suggest there has been one fatality. The cause of the explosion is also currently unknown, early reports suggest it was a gas explosion although there is speculation may have been a homemade car bomb. The shopping center has been open for just over one year. We will bring you more facts as they emerge.
    Reports are now coming in that a shopping center in Surat Thani is also on fire as well as a 7-11 in Phangna, the fires started at the same time the explosion went off in Central Festival.

If terrorism... this is a worry that they have moved this far north... by-passed Phuket and gone for Surat Thani and Samui instead... hopefully not too many people killed or injured...

Samui Times - Explosion reported at Supercheap Villa Phuket at about the same time, it is unconfirmed if these incidents are related.

Edited, see below
    Last edited by Philly; 11th April 2015 at 01:18.

All reports are now saying it was a car bomb, I heard the explosion from my place about 2 miles away, very loud.

Picture of the car that was believed to have been used

More photos

Quote Originally Posted by Waharoa View Post
    If terrorism... this is a worry that they have moved this far north... by-passed Phuket and gone for Surat Thani and Samui instead... hopefully not too many people killed or injured...
    Not sure I would jump straight to Southern Insurgents.

Could well be this is push back after the crackdowns on "Local Influential People".

Of course Herr General could have ordered it to justify "44".

How would local influential people benefit from destroying the tourist economy that feeds them ??

Is there any conformation on the phuket fire, I see postings online but not on news source.

Samui bomb.. Surat thani, and phang nga fires in warehouses.

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    How would local influential people benefit from destroying the tourist economy that feeds them ??
    Well if they are being dragged away from the trough the response could well be "If I can't have it I will destroy it" TIT.

Just a first thought given the lack of any real information.

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    Is there any conformation on the phuket fire, I see postings online but not on news source.

Samui bomb.. Surat thani, and phang nga fires in warehouses.
    Can't find and not heard anything about Phuket yet.

Since it seem to have happened at the same time I'm sure it's "the same people" behind it. I also find it strange that the radicals down south suddenly have moved further north...........maybe Tacky is playing new games and want to move the army's focus to the south so he can build up his own army in CM.
    See, I can do conspiracy theories as well.................
    soupdragon likes this.
    A blowjob is better than no job!!

Quote Originally Posted by soupdragon View Post
    Can't find and not heard anything about Phuket yet.
    Only ferry fire and also Super Cheap again I know of in last couple of days !?! (not last night tho)

Centre set up in Phuket to help victims of ferry fire - The Nation - ferry heading back to Phuket from Krabi

Customers flee as fire guts Phuket SuperCheap - Super Cheap
    Last edited by davis121; 11th April 2015 at 10:23.

BBC reporting possible links to the South.....

Local officials believe the vehicle may have been brought to Koh Samui from one of three southern Thai provinces where Islamist militants operate.

However, officials say the exact provenance of the vehicle has yet to be established.
    So only local officials making that link but not officially confirmed.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-32259612

As if 4000 baht bar fines aren't enough? Btw, what color plates do terrorist bombers have to carry?
    A woman won The Nobel Peace Prize? Must have been a pretty good sandwich.

Surat Thani Governor Chatpong Chatphum said the attacker hid the bomb in a Honda Jazz that used a fake license plate of Chon Buri.
    A quick glance at the photo clearly shows that is not the wheel of a Honda Jazz.

Time to get local officials away from the microphone.

Four Thais, one foreigner injured in Samui car bomb blast - The Nation
    Attached Images Attached Images
    LivinLOS likes this.

It looks like the frame of a pick-up or a big SUV.......Or maybe just the first Jazz in the history with 6 wheel bolts 555
    A blowjob is better than no job!!

It's been confirmed now it was a Mazda pick up stolen from Yala

Conspiracy time ?

Most of the attention has focused on Koh Samui with fingers being pointed at "Southern insurgents" but why would anyone target a Surat Thani Cooperative ?

Surat Co-op fire put out

Firefighters on Saturday morning put out a blaze at the Surat Thani Cooperative, founded by politician-turned-monk Suthep Thaugsuban. No one was injured in the blaze, which caused damage estimated at 50 million baht.

The Surat Thani Cooperative was founded by Suthep Thaugsuban, the leader of the People's Democratic Reform Committee who is now in the monkhood. Phra Suthep is a Surat Thani native and the southern province has been his political stronghold.

He had led protests against the Yingluck Shinawatra government in 2013-14. He was a key member of the Democrat Party, the arch rival of the Pheu Thai Party led by Yingluck Shinawatra, a younger sister of former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra.
    Surat Thani Coop blaze doused | Bangkok Post: news

Perhaps the Dictator/Emperor in exile is flexing his muscles ?

........ or there is no conspiracy and unrelated events are being linked by headline writers ?

Quote Originally Posted by faultytowers View Post
    Conspiracy time ?

Most of the attention has focused on Koh Samui with fingers being pointed at "Southern insurgents" but why would anyone target a Surat Thani Cooperative ?

Surat Thani Coop blaze doused | Bangkok Post: news

Perhaps the Dictator/Emperor in exile is flexing his muscles ?

........ or there is no conspiracy and unrelated events are being linked by headline writers ?
    Having lived in the Phuket area for 15 years I have never thought the insurgents would bring the fight this far north. To do so would bring a response they certainly don't want. It's not impossible, but I think the link to southern insurgents is a red herring.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast