Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By kris-one
  • 3 Post By JimCA2

Thread: Copy, paste, enter. Thailand's plagiarism problem

Copy, paste, enter. Thailand's plagiarism problem

Copy, Paste, Enter Thailand's Plagiarism Problem

Good article.. Linking education, culture, corruption, and attitudes all to the issue.

Kind funny and related.

So I have this little friend whose at college.. The teacher uses line and classroom groups to set assignments.. The class then uses a second line group, secret from the teacher to share the results..

Also her African English teacher, was trying to hit her up for a date at 11 pm on a Friday night.. Stay classy..

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post

Good article.. Linking education, culture, corruption, and attitudes all to the issue.
    Clearly, she does not understand Thai democr... sorry, education

At uni we had to submit our work via a system called Turnitin which scoured academic articles and the internet to give us a % grade of plagiarism. Was a closely guarded secret as to what % constituted a fail. However, one big flaw was that it only searched academic articles and internet pages written in English. So all the Chinese and foreign student students had to do was use only articles written in other languages, translate it and pass it as their own... job done!
    LivinLOS likes this.

kris-one, geir and WarProfiteer like this.

As long as rote learning is to the forefront of education this is what you are going to get, read an article recently on something similar going on in India. Pressure comes on to produce graduates and education becomes an assembly line. Standards drop and retention and pass rates become more important than the quality of the qualification.

This has been going on for a long time in India. The emphasis has been on the appearance of having a degree and supposed credentials based on that. Actual business is done based on connections and nepotism. I know this isn't PC, but it is my conclusion based on working with an engineering group in Bangalore for more than three years.

One paragraph that resonated with me is one of the teachers saying the Thai system doesn't encourage curiosity. Actually i think that is systematically in place for the class system.

But why it resonates.
    We took our 1st nice ride in BC with my MIL and stepson. I don't think we were even outside downtown yet and he passed out sleeping. How could he not have any curiosity or excitement to see a new country?

Absolutely baffling to me.
    And he is genuinely a smart kid

Quote Originally Posted by marc26 View Post
    One paragraph that resonated with me is one of the teachers saying the Thai system doesn't encourage curiosity. Actually i think that is systematically in place for the class system.

But why it resonates.
    We took our 1st nice ride in BC with my MIL and stepson. I don't think we were even outside downtown yet and he passed out sleeping. How could he not have any curiosity or excitement to see a new country?

Absolutely baffling to me.
    And he is genuinely a smart kid
    Totally similar.. Missus is always keen for a road trip, sometimes I line up just a round trip drive, no special destination... She will happily go to sleep 10 mins into the trip, somehow to her there is zero appeal in seeing the sights, only appeals in the destination. Very often with me the destination is less fun than the drive around.

I dont know if thats about curiosity or a different attitude to 'country'.. Sure my missus will consider a natural thing (phu chee fa escarpment.. Some mountain top.. A waterfall) a destination in that mindset, but just country, the wilds, the nature, just gets a shrug. I think in the main Thais have the same attitudes to gardens.. They simply see the outdoors as jungle or inconvenient to be cut down. Housing estates have a big expensive house with 2m of land surrounding it. I get that climate often makes sitting outdoors hot, but theres a general attitude to garden, country, rural and outdoors thats different.

Yes
    I found the total lack of curiosity among Thai's very evident in all my interaction with them.
    I think removing curiosity for a entire nation
    Is no small task.
    It seems like a major component of the education system.

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    Totally similar.. Missus is always keen for a road trip, sometimes I line up just a round trip drive, no special destination... She will happily go to sleep 10 mins into the trip, somehow to her there is zero appeal in seeing the sights, only appeals in the destination. Very often with me the destination is less fun than the drive around.

I dont know if thats about curiosity or a different attitude to 'country'.. Sure my missus will consider a natural thing (phu chee fa escarpment.. Some mountain top.. A waterfall) a destination in that mindset, but just country, the wilds, the nature, just gets a shrug. I think in the main Thais have the same attitudes to gardens.. They simply see the outdoors as jungle or inconvenient to be cut down. Housing estates have a big expensive house with 2m of land surrounding it. I get that climate often makes sitting outdoors hot, but theres a general attitude to garden, country, rural and outdoors thats different.
    But that's her own country
    We often take our backyard for granted

This is a whole new country this kid has heard about most of his life and no curiosity at all?
    I mean that is a " brain is not functioning at full capacity" momwnt to me
    This isn't hyperbole......that is like labotomy level shit to me

Again.....this isn't some poor village farm kid like our missus
    This kid is as middle class as they come. Doesn't have the same life concerns our ladies had to excuse their lack of trivial concerns

Joy love to explore new things and places, loves her gardens and spend a lot of time planting flowers and such. I wont take her with me to Norway next month as I'm scared she's going to like it to much.
    Then again, I took one of my ex GFs to Norway and she wasn't interested at all. Drove my Merc CLK up in the mountains to let her see the snow, but she was sleeping all the way.
    A blowjob is better than no job!!

Quote Originally Posted by kris-one View Post
    At uni we had to submit our work via a system called Turnitin which scoured academic articles and the internet to give us a % grade of plagiarism. Was a closely guarded secret as to what % constituted a fail. However, one big flaw was that it only searched academic articles and internet pages written in English. So all the Chinese and foreign student students had to do was use only articles written in other languages, translate it and pass it as their own... job done!
    I work for a university at the moment in it's IT dept.

Turnitin is just one of the systems we use to detect plagiarism these days. Its pretty complex and I've never seen the full workflow for it.

However in Australia they're walking a fine line. They want to have a good reputation on the plagiarism front so that degrees maintain real value, but by the same token a lot of revenue is generated from foreign students (most notably from Asian countries, dominated by China) so they don't want to make it so hard to cheat that the Chinese students go elsewhere.

This isn't helped by recent media exposes on foreign student recruitment by the ABC.
    This post is known by the state of California to potentially contain more than the maximum daily allowance of awesome.

This is a whole new country this kid has heard about most of his life and no curiosity at all?

This kid is as middle class as they come. Doesn't have the same life concerns our ladies had to excuse their lack of trivial concerns
    Brought a Thai to paris (for 3 days) and Venice.
    Paris: once you have your photo before the Eifel tower and a few other monuments, seen Paris, just sent the photo's to friends in Thailand.
    Venice: after 2 hours: photo on San Marco and at Rialto, plus more important photo at stall with junk souvenirs... seen Venice, now hurry back to hotel and wifi to post on FB.
    My school mate is married to a Philippina. Went to Amalfi and that beautifull coast around, paid more than 500€ per night for hotel. His wife only took photo's, so he asked her why don't you look at the view? Her answer:" I have photo's and can look at home now.

But I think its a generalized attitude to the outdoors.. Its more for farming, to cut back and pave over.. Like too much jungle..

Quote Originally Posted by mjwx View Post
    I work for a university at the moment in it's IT dept.

Turnitin is just one of the systems we use to detect plagiarism these days. Its pretty complex and I've never seen the full workflow for it.

However in Australia they're walking a fine line. They want to have a good reputation on the plagiarism front so that degrees maintain real value, but by the same token a lot of revenue is generated from foreign students (most notably from Asian countries, dominated by China) so they don't want to make it so hard to cheat that the Chinese students go elsewhere.

This isn't helped by recent media exposes on foreign student recruitment by the ABC.
    Corruption and malpractice in Australia?s international student industry | Asian Correspondent