Thread: Snorkling recomendations

Yes

Snorkling recomendations

I have some friends coming to Thailand in August,
    She asked me for a recommendation on where is good,and
    what place might be better for rainy season.

I am not up on this so any help would be appreciated.thanks

Andaman Coast is hit and miss during the wet season which includes August...so I would recommend somewhere in the Gulf.....Koh's Chang, Samet, Kood, Tao, Phangan and parts of Samui can all be good in August

also.. while Nels is 100% right.. theres a lot of variation.. Depending on storms.. I have always found the andaman sites superior (Koh Surin, Similan, Turatao, etc)..

The marine park south of Lanta (Koh Rok ??) was the best and largest surface coral bed I have swum.. But thats probably 8 or 10 years ago now and lots of die off and over visiting has damaged a lot of these sites.

Yes
    Thanx for the input

June this year first ten or so days Lamai beach was flat as a pancake and vis was great, coral is poor but there are a fair few fish species to see surprisingly.
    After ten days the wind came and vis was terrible, Koh Tao had some good snorkeling on the sheltered side probably 20-25m vis, in other areas 7-15m.
    I should have gone diving at the start of the trip oh well.

I recall that the Koh Racha islands off Phuket had reasonable snorkeling in June even if it was fairly choppy, speed boat trip becomes far less comfortable though.

Quote Originally Posted by bobdickgus View Post
    I recall that the Koh Racha islands off Phuket had reasonable snorkeling in June even if it was fairly choppy, speed boat trip becomes far less comfortable though.
    This is the one we generally do. A full day trip from Chalong with fishing on the way and a stop for lunch on the boat plus snorkelling off the island, always been quite a lot to see and never come home without a couple of fish for dinner.

Koh Chang Weather Forecast

I'd be hesitant about visiting Koh Chang in August.

"How wet does it get?: The north of England averages about 800 1000mm of rain every year. This sounds a lot but it isnt, its roughly what Koh Chang gets every month in June, July, August and September. But as I mentioned above, the rain is in heavy tropical downpours rather than drizzling for days as it does in the UK & northern Europe. In total Koh Chang receives around 4,000mm of rain each year, most of it falling in these months."

Quote Originally Posted by cashpoint View Post
    Koh Chang Weather Forecast

I'd be hesitant about visiting Koh Chang in August.

"How wet does it get?: The north of England averages about 800 1000mm of rain every year. This sounds a lot but it isnt, its roughly what Koh Chang gets every month in June, July, August and September. But as I mentioned above, the rain is in heavy tropical downpours rather than drizzling for days as it does in the UK & northern Europe. In total Koh Chang receives around 4,000mm of rain each year, most of it falling in these months."
    This site is not so pessimistic Weather Averages for Ko Chang, Thailand
    I thought Samui and Koh Chang had the same weather but it look like was wrong Weather Averages for Ko Samui, Thailand look like Samui has the best weather in the summer.