Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By davis121
  • 1 Post By Waharoa

Thread: Renewing UK passport in Thailand

Renewing UK passport in Thailand

Can anyone advise on quickest option. I have read about going to BKK which is fine as am going this weekend anyway, but seem to remember a friend sending by post from HKT?

As I understand it you can no longer renew passports at embassies. All passport applications are sent back to the UK and passports are shipped out from the UK.

At vast expense!

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports

Quote Originally Posted by cashpoint View Post
    As I understand it you can no longer renew passports at embassies. All passport applications are sent back to the UK and passports are shipped out from the UK.

At vast expense!

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports
    Thanks Cashpoint yeah is a bit dearer and will definitely going for the 48 page version next time!!!

Just copied the main info here for anyone else that might need it. Says minimum of 6 weeks there but apparently on other forums ppl saying as quick as 3 weeks?

Your application will take at least 6 weeks from when it’s received by Her Majesty’s Passport Office in the UK.

Applications will take longer if:

• Her Majesty’s Passport Office needs to ask you for more information or documents
    • the photographs you send are rejected

Don’t book travel until you have a valid passport. If you need to travel more urgently, you may be able to apply for an Emergency Travel Document.

Cost

You’ll have to pay a fee for your passport and a courier fee of 23.01. The courier fee pays for your passport to be sent securely to the UK Visa Application Centre where you applied for you to collect.

Passport type Passport fee Total to pay (including courier fee)
    Adult standard 32-page passport 83.00 106.01
    Adult jumbo 48-page passport 91.00 114.01
    Fill in a ‘Paying by credit card or debit card’ form for each passport you’re applying for and submit it with your application. Your credit or debit card will be charged in sterling.
    You can use Mastercard, Visa, Electron, Diners Club and JCB.
    Last edited by davis121; 14th May 2015 at 20:54.

Amazing. I did my NZ passport online using a selfie pic I took in my bathroom... and received my NZ passport 4 days later... even though I live in the UK..

Quote Originally Posted by Waharoa View Post
    Amazing. I did my NZ passport online using a selfie pic I took in my bathroom... and received my NZ passport 4 days later... even though I live in the UK..
    Sure that is quick! I guess because of the different demographics in NZ is why the photos don't come up for much scrutiny though ?!?!

pass.jpg

Edit: that was a joke of course btw waharoa
    Last edited by davis121; 15th May 2015 at 18:36.
    Waharoa and Changone like this.

Not applicable directly to the UK, but I also need to renew my Norwegian passport, so headed to the Phuket consulate.

The info I got was that I needed to go to BKK in person, and they could send the book in about 4 weeks for 2,500 THB. Last time I renewed it was 6,500 TBH but I did it all in Phuket.

Quote Originally Posted by davis121 View Post
    Sure that is quick! I guess because of the different demographics in NZ is why the photos don't come up for much scrutiny though ?!?!

pass.jpg

Edit: that was a joke of course btw waharoa
    I'm surprised Ewe was able to get a passport looking like that. You're not supposed to smile...
    davis121 likes this.

I have been hanging on sine my last visa extension with just 2 pages left (thats a re-entry permit and trip to laos and used up).. As its such a hassle in bangkok. At one stage I think you had to physically go and physically go collect it !!!

I will get another 48 pager in uk in a couple of months, even see if they will give me two again (never should have let that second expire). They only last 2 - 3 years at best..

Also, they knocked back the wifes visa app (tourist / visit) on really sketchy reasons.. UKIP doing well in the polls again.. Now to redo all that with every i dotted and T crossed and reams of invites etc..

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    I have been hanging on sine my last visa extension with just 2 pages left (thats a re-entry permit and trip to laos and used up).. As its such a hassle in bangkok. At one stage I think you had to physically go and physically go collect it !!!

I will get another 48 pager in uk in a couple of months, even see if they will give me two again (never should have let that second expire). They only last 2 - 3 years at best..

Also, they knocked back the wifes visa app (tourist / visit) on really sketchy reasons.. UKIP doing well in the polls again.. Now to redo all that with every i dotted and T crossed and reams of invites etc..
    It's getting harder to get a second passport (particularly for the full ten year validity). I went to renew my second one but they refused because the letter from my employer wasn't quite right. I asked why (I was in Petty France - London passport office for non Londoners) and they told me that they have been clamping down for over a year.

Quote Originally Posted by cashpoint View Post
    It's getting harder to get a second passport (particularly for the full ten year validity). I went to renew my second one but they refused because the letter from my employer wasn't quite right. I asked why (I was in Petty France - London passport office for non Londoners) and they told me that they have been clamping down for over a year.
    Dunno if the rules have changed but in the employers letter you need to provide details of at least 5 countries you have to visit on a regular basis

Simple.. Just say you need to go to israel and an arab country, ideally algeria or one of the less stable ones... That ticks the box where it presents a danger to not have one.

Used to be you could say Cuba and the US but I think that ice has thawed..