Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree152Likes

Thread: Reasons why I still lives in Thailand

Reasons why I still lives in Thailand

I'm just back after a 2 weeks trip to visit family and friends in Norway. It was nice to see my family again, but the major thing was that it made me realize why I live in Thailand and a reminder for me to appreciate it more.

Things I love about Thailand:

Bum guns 55
    Climate
    Low taxation
    Good health care (fair priced insurances)
    Cost of living
    Freedom (under responsibility)
    Mostly good local people
    Expat friends (young at heart despite their age)
    My wife (I guess 555)
    My job
    Easy going lifestyle, no one worries to much
    No one cares about what you do (officials or others, at least where I live now)
    Easy access to beaches and bitches (at least it's good to know they're there)
    Beautiful sea
    Was about to say nature, but it wont be fair as it can't beat Norway.

I will add more to the list when it comes to mind. Norway was cold and miserable, and I should have waited until June or July to travel there. It was actually snowing when I was picked up at the airport. Temperatures between 1 and 15 C. Family and food was the highlights of my trip.
    My list is pretty much based what I missed in Norway and found here............So easy to say I'm a happy chap to be back in LOS.
    K2, Pablo, NeedHoliday and 4 others like this.
    A blowjob is better than no job!!

Norway has banned you from returning as a permanent resident as alcohol related crime dropped in your absence?
    Last edited by pavlov's dogs; 29th May 2015 at 17:34.

Quote Originally Posted by pavlov's dogs View Post
    Norway has banned you from returning as a prmanent rsident as alcohol related crime dropped in your absence?
    Well, at least the alcohol consumption have dropped in Noggieland since I left 5555

To be honest.....no matter what your list is, it is just important to like where you live.You have always been happy in LOS.

I think some of you expats feel the need to be negative towards your home countries for some reason to somehow enhance your view of Thailand....but your choice

I am happy to say I love everywhere I have lived. I get frustrated with Vancouver sometimes......way more than any other place I have lived but there are so many more positives tgat outweigh the frustrations.

Funny enough.....climate would be one of the top negatives for me in Thailand as it is a positive for you but that is just different preferences....obviously there is no wrong opinion on that.

I think my big positives to live in LOS would be closer to wife's family and a good expat social scene

I'd happily move back to Boston or NYC tomorrow
    Preferably NYC with frequent trips to Boston
    As close as I am to my family....my brother and sister are too much drama
    LivinLOS likes this.

I feel more home here than I ever did in Norway. I moved out from my parents at 17 starting to take care of myself. It was great to make money, but I mover around like a nomad trying to find somewhere I really liked. I was close to move to Spain before I discovered Thailand.....so climate was a big thing for me after crawling around in the snow for so long. I have lived 7 years in Ranong/Phayam now, and it's the longest I've lived anywhere since I was 17. Still feel like moving on sometimes, but all in all it's the best life I ever had. Another thing that's important to me is that I don't like others to tell me what to do which is why I find it hard living in the western world. Setting up my own company made it easier to live in Norway, but the way the officials even then jump inn to control your daily life is deeply conflicting with what I believe in.
    It's drawbacks here to, visa/residence issues, but otherwise life is darn easy.
    LivinLOS and K2 like this.

For myself, I do love SE Asia, but am getting a little tired/bored/fed up with Thailand.
    I am missing the US a bit lately, but I guess it all comes down to this with me: I just could not afford the life style that I enjoy here, (meaning SE Asia), anywhere in farang land.

If I really had the big bucks, I think I would spend 3-6 months of the year in the US, preferably the Santa Barbara or San Diego area, and the rest of the time in Asia.
    K2, Waharoa and JimCA2 like this.
    The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

Quote Originally Posted by billpay View Post
    For myself, I do love SE Asia, but am getting a little tired/bored/fed up with Thailand.
    I am missing the US a bit lately, but I guess it all comes down to this with me: I just could not afford the life style that I enjoy here, (meaning SE Asia), anywhere in farang land.

If I really had the big bucks, I think I would spend 3-6 months of the year in the US, preferably the Santa Barbara or San Diego area, and the rest of the time in Asia.
    In what way do you think you could not afford it?
    Housing, social life, entertainment?

I think housing is the big issue and hard to compare with someone because you never know what they like.

But I did a cost comparison last year when I thought I might have an issue with work permit renewal and it was pretty damn
    Close

I think you would he surprised at how close overall costs are
    Especially if you lived in the US......which is so cheap

For me it's all about lifestyle.

We have some political problems here.

But otherwise all good...good weather.....pool....ownership of property.....business....the odd bird here and there.

It's a good couple years before I could replicate this lifestyle in Phuket or even Samui.
    Last edited by Thin White Duke; 31st May 2015 at 02:48.

Quote Originally Posted by billpay View Post
    Same here. More and more every day. If I didnt have certain ties here, I would certainly move on. I like certain aspects of being here, but the downsides still seem to be bothering me more and more lately. I think a change of venue, even if temporary, would do me some good...

The one big skeleton in the cupboard

We are not wanted, other than maybe some Thai family and friends. Everything is stacked against us from visa / residency, property ownership and even being allowed to make significant profit from a business before the authorities or other power players fuck you over

Given the above its always that bit harder to feel more at home

Quote Originally Posted by Geespot View Post
    The one big skeleton in the cupboard

We are not wanted, other than maybe some Thai family and friends. Everything is stacked against us from visa / residency, property ownership and even being allowed to make significant profit from a business before the authorities or other power players fuck you over

Given the above its always that bit harder to feel more at home
    Sounds like a soft version of Norway 5555.............Why are you staying here???? (in between work that is)

Quote Originally Posted by geir View Post
    Sounds like a soft version of Norway 5555.............Why are you staying here???? (in between work that is)
    Ahhhhhhhhhh poor Geir unmistakably Norwegian so desperate to be Thai Elite / Noggie 555555555

i don't think I said anything that most dont know other than the ones on the delusional pills.

You can call Thailand your home but it will never truly be until you can have easy residency

Luckily I don't rely on my income from Thailand, havent sold my soul to the devil and put everything I have into Thailand and I have plenty invested outside Thailand for the future. So the main issues for me are dealt with. I still have relationships and friends and enjoy many aspects of Thailand enough to still spend plenty time there, but I'm open to the possibility of other places and don't hate or have malice towards my own country
    Last edited by Geespot; 1st June 2015 at 02:55.

Its a great place to spend money..
    slampay likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    Its a great place to spend money..
    Fook ye...................10k isnt even a huge nigh these dayst!!!

I gotta agree... amazing distractions available if ya got some dosh...

Quote Originally Posted by Geespot View Post
    Fook ye...................10k isnt even a huge nigh these dayst!!!
    I found a nice way to spend less last night.......being a bit ill it's limited how much alcohol you can handle.....so my bill last night was only 800 Baht (or 16 Leo). Not bad for a full night out 555

The big plus for me is the lack of political correctness.
    Yes they are free to not like us or discriminate against foreign ownership of their land etc but that also descends into every day life where life is actually real again.
    Look after your own safety, look where you walk and be aware. It's almost like being alive again.

I don't know about other people but I'm constantly smothered by rules and laws that are designed for the lowest common denominator in Australia (which I have to believe is about the worst PC country I've been in). Speed fines for 3km over, hidden speed cameras, workers compensation and employment laws...it just goes on.

I don't for a minute think that Asia is a silver bullet, but at least there is an ability to live, consort with women, drink and eat, drive while looking at the road rather than the speedo and ride bikes with the wind in your face.

It all wears thin with the other issues, but for me it is a little slice of freedom from what's becoming an oppressive nanny state or even big brother style of living.
    As people have said, a little money goes a long way and life can be pretty bloody privileged with a bit of coin that in home lands wouldn't buy you much more than a life.

My two cents anyway 555
    geir, obes and K2 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer View Post
    I don't know about other people but I'm constantly smothered by rules and laws that are designed for the lowest common denominator in Australia (which I have to believe is about the worst PC country I've been in). Speed fines for 3km over, hidden speed cameras, workers compensation and employment laws...it just goes on.

I don't for a minute think that Asia is a silver bullet, but at least there is an ability to live, consort with women, drink and eat, drive while looking at the road rather than the speedo and ride bikes with the wind in your face.
    But the times they are a changin.. I got home from my road trip to 3 speeding tickets in the post !!
    JimCA2 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    But the times they are a changin.. I got home from my road trip to 3 speeding tickets in the post !!
    It's no way back, Thailand is slowly changing into what we was escaping in the western world. But it's still way more freedom here than back home, and a few hundred Baht in speeding tickets doesn't change that...............I heard a scary story last night about drunk driving...someone told me you will go direct to jail for 1 year if caught.
    That would limit my freedom a lot (and all other expats I know). I'm trying to avoid driving shit-faced, but not be able to drive home after dinner and a few beers would limit my happiness a lot. (No taxis in Ranong after 8pm)

^ that is so fcuking selfish. If it was just you who got your head squished it wouldn't be a biggie but take a look at liveleak.com to see the sort of damage drink drivers do to other people.
    Waharoa likes this.

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast