Like Tree5Likes
  • 5 Post By LivinLOS

Thread: John Oliver on Thailand Hitler thing..

John Oliver on Thailand Hitler thing..

I love how he framed the narrative by saying we wanted to show this a few months ago, guess he's still banned in Thailand, 5555

It is a god damn shame Stewart didn't hand the Daily Show over to him so we'd have him nightly

I just don't get it either.....Stewart had to have an idea he wanted to leave. Why not make a succession plan with him

Has anyone ever got to the bottom of this bizarre fixation?

I know they aren't really taught history but outside not knowing the history.....than why would Hitler be interesting to them?

^^ just a falang that they have heard-seen about (big power!) .never actually being taught about him and his politics..
    A woman won The Nobel Peace Prize? Must have been a pretty good sandwich.

Quote Originally Posted by slampay View Post
    ^^ just a falang that they have heard-seen about (big power!) .never actually being taught about him and his politics..
    That would be true for the schoolkids.. Far less so the teachers..

As for being used in the Thai Junta propaganda 'values' thing.. thats a crack up.. I mean.. just how..

EDIT :: actually, I have seen some posts bu Thais and Indo praising Hitler, how he was beneficial for germany, ran the country firmly etc.. One recently for a low level Thai royal. So less total ignorance and more confused praise..

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    That would be true for the schoolkids.. Far less so the teachers..

As for being used in the Thai Junta propaganda 'values' thing.. thats a crack up.. I mean.. just how..

EDIT :: actually, I have seen some posts bu Thais and Indo praising Hitler, how he was beneficial for germany, ran the country firmly etc.. One recently for a low level Thai royal. So less total ignorance and more confused praise..
    Still weird. Wonder if they feel the same about Mao, Stalin, etc.

Is it so different to western teens wearing Mao t-shirts? He probably killed or caused death of more than Hitler. Or Che Guevara symbols or using the Japanese Imperial rising sun flag. Germany is a long way a way from Thailand after all.

True on the Che ones but its hard not to think that Mao (and to a lesser extent Che) has people die accidentally as a side effect while trying to improve society overall for many..

The holocaust was simply mass slaughter of people not wanted in the society.

There is a crucial difference to the 'evilness' in those 2 things.. Murder v manslaughter kind of aspects. Stalin comes closest ??

Hitler, Stalin, even Mao was far away, and we all know how much of what happens in other countries interest the Thais. Pol Pot is a bit closer to home, any T-Shirts with him?

Quote Originally Posted by Greatdane View Post
    Hitler, Stalin, even Mao was far away, and we all know how much of what happens in other countries interest the Thais. Pol Pot is a bit closer to home, any T-Shirts with him?
    Blows my mind how little is known about Kamen Deang outside of the surin / buri ram kind of area..

Quote Originally Posted by Greatdane View Post
    I never met a Thai person yet who knew about the whole Khmer Rouge thing or even who Pol Pot was. I'm sure there are some but, given that it was next door and very recent, it kinda makes me think they don't have an earthly clue about anything beyond their immediate horizon.

I would bet dollars to doughnuts that 9 out of 10 of the folk in Thailand who dress up as Hitler or praise him in any way couldn't find Germany on a map and couldn't name another single German person ( unless there is a German guy living in the village maybe ).

My guess is that he's become some weird cult figure much like Che has for many of the right on kids over here.

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    Blows my mind how little is known about Kamen Deang outside of the surin / buri ram kind of area..
    +1 on this. My wife didn't have a clue. Unbelievable.