Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By geir

Thread: Police Roadblock - Karon, Phuket

Police Roadblock - Karon, Phuket

Yesterday afternoon, on a ride back to Patong from Kata and around I was stopped at the usual Police roadblock on the hill out of Karon Beach to the north.
    Would have been 20 odd officers there.

Heaps of bikes and cars pulled in and at least 20 people queued at the cash desk that was set up, to pay or whatever.
    Turned the bike off and pulled my International Driving Licence wrapped in a plastic ziplock bag and went to open the bag and get it out. The officer reached out, took the bag unopened, looked at the cardboard front of the licence, said " Ah!! International Driving Licence, you New Zealand? (reading off the front)"
    Surprised that he both spoke and read English so well I said yes and he then asked my name. Gave it to him and he didn't even open the licence or bag and smiled at me and said "OK you go"

Always wear a helmet and ride a bike a little different so probably seen to be experienced and sensible and not a week long tourist.

In my years of driving here I have never been treated with anything but utmost courtesy by the police and certainly never had a bribe hinted at. Long may it continue, but you see so much criticism thought I should mention one of many positives.

What's your experience?

Same as you. Never had a problem. A couple of times at road blocks far from tourists areas, I have been led through while they stopped the Thai drivers - I guess it was because the police did not want to show how little English they mastered.

I never had problems except from in Issan where they love to collect "Issan tax" from cars with southern license plates.......they call it speeding or changing lines in a wrong way despite if it happened or not.................Never ever had problems in tourist areas or here in the southern parts of Thailand.
    I got Bangkok plates on my car now, so will be interesting to see if I can escape the "mob" on my road trip to Roi-et and Savannakhet in a few days.
    Evilbaz likes this.
    A blowjob is better than no job!!

Only place i have problems is in Bangkok. I get a ticket for some made up bs almost every time im there. Car or Motorcycle. Rest of the country has been smiles only.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorTom View Post
    Only place i have problems is in Bangkok. I get a ticket for some made up bs almost every time im there. Car or Motorcycle. Rest of the country has been smiles only.
    Lots of potential pitfalls depending on driving a car or motorbike no matter what the capacity

If you drive extensively enough you are going to get stopped and scammed / ripped off, no avoiding and no 'I'm special I've got this taped and the RTP are great 55555555555

Having a Thai licence or International Driving Permit, road tax paid inclusive of 3rd party insurance and any other relative insurance wont protect you from the following

Cars
    You were going too fast hmmmmmmmmmmmmm
    You were driving in the outside lane hmmmmmmmmmmmm
    You changed lanes entering the tollway / expressway when you shouldnt hmmmmmmmmmm

Motorbikes / Scooters
    You drove over a bridge
    You were on a 2 lane road or dual carriageway and werent on the local frontage road
    You were in the outside lane of a 2 lane road even when there is no frontage road

If you havent be stopped for any of these then I suggest you haven't been anywhere other than local

Bangkok is by far the worst place in my experience, it can be multiple times in the one day
    Isaan is a pain too and good for the scams such as speeding and in the outside lane too long

Quote Originally Posted by Geespot View Post
    Motorbikes / Scooters
    You drove over a bridge
    You were on a 2 lane road or dual carriageway and werent on the local frontage road
    You were in the outside lane of a 2 lane road even when there is no frontage road

If you havent be stopped for any of these then I suggest you haven't been anywhere other than local
    Local, is that including all of Thailand? I have been driving some 15,000 km in the last three years in most of Thailand. Including Bangkok, Isaan, Chiang Mai, South East and the South West. I have received two parking tickets (Bangkok and Patong) - both was well deserved, although not on purpose. By the way, much cheaper in Bangkok where they charged 200 baht while the price was 500 baht in Patong.

Quote Originally Posted by Greatdane View Post
    Local, is that including all of Thailand? I have been driving some 15,000 km in the last three years in most of Thailand. Including Bangkok, Isaan, Chiang Mai, South East and the South West. I have received two parking tickets (Bangkok and Patong) - both was well deserved, although not on purpose. By the way, much cheaper in Bangkok where they charged 200 baht while the price was 500 baht in Patong.
    Yip 15k is nothing, all of these places you quote I doubt you were regular there maybe other than Phuket?

BKK, I could go out on my bike and be stopped 4-5 times in the space of a few hours some days

Driving in Isaan for years both car and bike, local never stopped but driving to say Khon Kaen city stopped all the time and gouged

Pattaya, stopped only twice for licence check, they dont bother bigger bikes there much
    Last edited by Geespot; 4th June 2015 at 19:54.

most of my scoot riding is limited to the island (Samui) these days..its pretty laid back here...they don't even pull you over for no helmet unless its one of their crackdowns...been through plenty wearing no helmet and just been waved on...I never wear a helmet on the island and in the 3+ years I have been living here I have been pinched (300 baht) only the once

One time with Sef at night riding over to Chaweng from Lamai we saw a roadblock up ahead and decided to turn back as we weren't wearing helmet..two cops came out of the bushes and steered us up to the road block...we though we were in deep shit for this when the big sergeant dude asked us why we tried to evade the roadblock...he seemed OK about it when we said we weren't wearing our helmets and decided we should go back and get them...he then asked if we had drugs...patted our pockets and then waived us on our way...555

I've also been through a few late night blocks coming back from a night in Chaweng with a FL on the back...never pulled over...always waved on...still...there is always a first I guess

Yip 15k is nothing, all of these places you quote I doubt you were regular there maybe other than Phuket?
    Yes, mostly staying in Patong, but not only 1 or 2 days at the other places. In April I was 16 days in Bangkok and I was only stopped one time in form of a lock due to illegal parking

Pattaya, stopped only twice for licence check, they dont bother bigger bikes there much
    They don't bother scooter drivers much either. I haven't been stopped there yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Greatdane View Post
    Yes, mostly staying in Patong, but not only 1 or 2 days at the other places. In April I was 16 days in Bangkok and I was only stopped one time in form of a lock due to illegal parking

They don't bother scooter drivers much either. I haven't been stopped there yet.
    Really? So I stayed there a year and saw loads everyday and night getting stopped, multiple checkpoints Sukhumvit road (loads), Pattaya tai, pattaya klang, pattaya nua, 2nd road (more than one), beach road, 3rd road (more than one), thapraya road, theprasit road, phratamnak road, jomtien beach road, soi kao talo, soi kao noi, soi buakao............and on and on and on..................thousands upon thousands everyday getting stopped

K2
    Despite knowing these fines etc are pocket lining rip-offs, its still preferable by a long way in Thailand to the institutionalized rip-off fines in the West ... annoying yes, and most of the time deserved (speeding) ... [WTF are speed limits for anyway except to be broken .... well away from schools etc at any rate].

In Thailand its 200-500 Baht, no points, no stratospheric jump in insurance premium and its back to as you were, in the West its fines for anything they can scam you for ... parking, speeding, driving in bus/cycle lanes, congestion charging ... gimme the Thai system any day!
    Its My Life .....!

I've been stopped in the south as well, but I never got a fine. My point was that the police doesn't come up with fake reasons to fine you here.
    A blowjob is better than no job!!