Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By soupdragon

Thread: Ko Yao Yai (Island off Phuket)

Ko Yao Yai (Island off Phuket)

Thought we might go and have a look around this island which is on the Phang Nga side of Phuket.

Any one been and if so what are your thoughts?

I haven't been on the island, but the mainland around Phang Nga is quite pretty.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433631453.601512.jpg

Great photo Bro Tiger
    Like the mist shrouded island in the distance
    Those islands just jutting out of the ocean look stunning.

Actually those limestone laced formations dot the landscape well inland from the sea. The underground karst layers were dissolved some 100+ thousand years ago, leaving the cave systems that we were diving in.

I was briefly involved in a Scuba Centre on Koh Yao Yai so have been to the island many times but the last time was 2006 so my view of the place is gonna be outdated. Back then it was a dry island due to it being 100% muslim and we had to ship booze over and drink discretely though a walk down the beach revealed the secret spots the local youths chose to have a tipple.

The island itself was very under developed and they were just putting in concrete roads though many places were still only dirt tracks but it was great to be in a place not yet on the tourist map with many beautiful spots you could enjoy total seclusion. One thing that stood out back then was how cheap it was and many times I questioned the bill in a restaurant as I couldn't believe you could eat so well for so little 5555

I should go back and see myself how it has developed as I hold the domain KohYoaYai.com and plan to open a website when the island takes off, maybe the time is approaching.
    LivinLOS and TLandHim like this.