Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Steve@thaib
  • 2 Post By LivinLOS

Thread: Phuket Speed Limit signs

Phuket Speed Limit signs

About 12 weeks ago a whole lot of speed limit signs (red outer circle, white inner, with black figures) appeared on the main roads from the airport to Chalong that I saw. They all had 50 on them. There was an article querying the new speed limit and a Thai official said they were not showing the speed limit but were merely advisory signs to slow down and their were 218 of them.

Last night, after flying in from Vietnam I see they have now been changed to 80 in the week we were away. Is that the speed limit? I thought it was 90kph. Any one know the story behind this? Did they remove all the 50 signs?

LOL yeah I saw that story.. 100s of new signs.. And it turns out some official had thought 'advisory' speed limits on compulsory signs was a good idea !!

But there are actual speed limits in Thailand? Who knew?
    kris-one likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve@thaib View Post
    The fines I get in the post.. seems it damn well does !!

My Garmin GPS is programmed with the speed limits for most roads. In practice all this means is the ETA for any destination is grossly inaccurate as it assumes you will actually drive at the speed limit 5555

Quote Originally Posted by soupdragon View Post
    My Garmin GPS is programmed with the speed limits for most roads. In practice all this means is the ETA for any destination is grossly inaccurate as it assumes you will actually drive at the speed limit 5555
    But dont you always play 'race the GPS' ?? I thought it was man code that 'time to destination' was understood as 'time to beat'..
    soupdragon and Dkdude like this.

Speed traps everywhere, zillions of the fookers in Isaan

Not only speed traps.. The latest Junta crackdown is 'non standard' exhausts..

Problem being they are not applying any standard.. any noise limit.. any legal definition.. If its not the exhaust that comes with the bike as sold by the manufacturer.. Big fines.. One guy up here with a dealer sold road legal set of Termis, busted for 2k baht.. Another with a road legal not home made and noisy on a KLX250 also over a grand.. Cops are saying its part of the Juntas clampdown on motorcycle racers, but makes for a good earner from farang big bike riders. Mate posted the same happened to him on Phuket this last weekend. So seems country wide.

They are simply saying 'no modify' blanket ban instead of having a regulation to be stuck to. You can imaging the 'no modify argument' with my streetfighter blade