Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Phuket taxis

Phuket taxis

I'm heading back to Phuket later this year after a few years absence. I've read online there has been a overhaul of the taxi service since I was there last, but don't understand the changes in practical terms. Before I used to walk out of the airport terminal, turn right and walk to the taxi stand, pay about 600B (I think?) and get a ride to the SBH. Is it any different to this now?

no not realy any differnt.
    but the stand is moved closer to the exit and it is a desk in the midel of the walkway they do drive by meter the one i tok last week the meter whas 438 to liam hin
    ต่อย

Save yourself the taxi fare to the SBH... just get them to arrange a driver to pick you up at the airport... can't remember if it's free or not though....

Roughly 800B using meter into Patong now. Probably cheaper via the hotel!

Quote Originally Posted by NeedHoliday View Post
    Roughly 800B using meter into Patong now. Probably cheaper via the hotel!
    Did he drive to Rawai first? It used to be around 450 baht on the meter, and even though the price has gone up, it hasn't gone up that much. Perhaps the driver had "fixed" the meter?
    kris-one likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Greatdane View Post
    Did he drive to Rawai first? It used to be around 450 baht on the meter, and even though the price has gone up, it hasn't gone up that much. Perhaps the driver had "fixed" the meter?
    No its the standard price now, has been for ages.
    quiksilva likes this.

Fcuking hell, that's insane. 800THB!

Quote Originally Posted by kris-one View Post
    Fcuking hell, that's insane. 800THB!
    To be fair, I could see that as reasonable value. It was 500 ish 15 years ago ( cue endless conversation about what a muppet I was because somebody else used to get it 50baht cheaper )

My airport taxi at home is around 45 each way for an hour of a trip, Patong is 40 min or so; not that much different.

Quote Originally Posted by NeedHoliday View Post
    No its the standard price now, has been for ages.
    Yep - prices are also listen on an advertising board inside the arrival terminal from memory...

Quote Originally Posted by Steve@thaib View Post
    To be fair, I could see that as reasonable value. It was 500 ish 15 years ago ( cue endless conversation about what a muppet I was because somebody else used to get it 50baht cheaper )

My airport taxi at home is around 45 each way for an hour of a trip, Patong is 40 min or so; not that much different.
    BKK Airport-PATTS - 800 to 1200 baht - 124KM
    HKT - Patong - 35-39KM
    BKK - Suk Soi 4 - around 350 baht 24-27KM

UK taxi prices irrelevant
    davis121, LivinLOS and slimbag like this.

This is what was suggested as the new, raised prices last year. As far as I know, they have not been accepted yet:
    100 baht Airport fee
    50 baht first 2 km
    12 baht per km the next 15 km
    10 baht per km after that

So, let's say 40 km to Patong:
    -----
    560 baht

The old (existing? prices):
    100 baht Airport fee
    50 baht first 2 km
    7 baht per km for the next 22 km
    6 baht per km after that

That is, for 40 km:
    ----
    400 baht

Source:
    Phuket pushes for new taxis, new fares, amid new harsh penalties

Again, if the meter is saying 800 baht to Patong, either the driver took a detour, or he have manipulated the meter. The fixed prices is maximum 800 baht, the meter prices is way lower.

This is what was suggested as the new, raised prices last year. As far as I know, they have not been accepted yet:
    100 baht Airport fee
    50 baht first 2 km
    12 baht per km the next 15 km
    10 baht per km after that

So, let's say 40 km to Patong:
    -----
    560 baht

The old (existing? prices):
    100 baht Airport fee
    50 baht first 2 km
    7 baht per km for the next 22 km
    6 baht per km after that

That is, for 40 km:
    ----
    400 baht

Source:
    Phuket pushes for new taxis, new fares, amid new harsh penalties

Again, if the meter is saying 800 baht to Patong, either the driver took a detour, or he have manipulated the meter. The fixed prices is maximum 800 baht, the meter prices is way lower.

On 2 different occasions to get from the airport to my hotel near C&N Resort, the price was about 700+ish in a taxi meter. Couldn't believe it, I think I even posted about it. Maybe all the meters are rigged. The quality of the taxi meters is just not consistent enough -- so I just pay 800 baht for the limo now. I used to fight the system trying to always take Taxi meters but it really isn't worth it, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Geespot View Post

UK taxi prices irrelevant
    Of course they are relevant. In my mind, the guts of an hour in a cab is decent value at 15. Got nothing to do with taxi prices in Patong, fair enough, but everything to do with decent value for money as I perceive it.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve@thaib View Post
    Of course they are relevant. In my mind, the guts of an hour in a cab is decent value at 15. Got nothing to do with taxi prices in Patong, fair enough, but everything to do with decent value for money as I perceive it.
    Its the attitude many have except for the on their arses expats.............that in part drives the gouging

Pay what the prices are relative to Thailand not what you will pay well just because it's still cheaper than home

Quote Originally Posted by Geespot View Post
    Its the attitude many have except for the on their arses expats.............that in part drives the gouging

Pay what the prices are relative to Thailand not what you will pay well just because it's still cheaper than home
    Well, here we go with the endless conversation but...

To my simple way of thinking. Hotel prices have doubled what they were 15 years ago as has beer. Taxis have not, therefore I can see some value in that still.

I'm not suggesting anybody should pay that, I can't remember ever paying that myself, just saying comparably that it hasn't inflated as heavily as some other things so I can still perceive some value there.

I know you can save 50 baht if you know the way. I know it's people like me paying too much that have ruined the country for everyone else etc. etc.

Ad alert....my brother in law is doing Airport Transfers for 700Bt up to 3 people, 1000Bt 4 -12 people.
    LivinLOS, NeedHoliday and Dkdude like this.

Phuket taxis

The only way I ever paid less than 700 Baht was in a shared mini bus where we were subjected to a tourist sales pitch at a stop along the way. So I'm happy to pay 700 for a hassle free ride into Patong.

... And that same time in a taxi from the airport to my house would cost over $100.
    Last edited by BroTiger; 14th July 2015 at 01:11.
    Steve@thaib likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by briofoz View Post
    Ad alert....my brother in law is doing Airport Transfers for 700Bt up to 3 people, 1000Bt 4 -12 people.
    I remember him, more in cabbing than computers wasn't it? Seemed like a nice fella and a very clean car.

Unfortunately no matter how you try and work out what the numbers should be on paper, in reality every meter taxi will end up between 700-800 baht (probably depending if they take a u-turn at the underpass thing). I've taken a few in the past year and it's always the same, and other people report similar - so either every taxi meter is rigged or they're not using the figures quoted.

Phuket taxis have always been a rip-off, whether meter or taxi. It's cheaper to book a taxi with/from a hotel to Patong thesedays.

Airport runs are a pain at the moment. Bro has to park in the Car Park building, go find the customers, come back, get the vehicle, then if you take the Bypass Road, the U Turn is at Central, or turn right at Central and go through that narrow road in the Village at Kathu.

So most are either using the back way by BIS or doing the run through Kamala.

To the Airport is a lot easier.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast