Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: The drought..

The drought..

Staying non political.. This is shaping up to be potentially a big deal..

Economically we know it bad.. But sadly its bad for people who life is often bad to, the rural poor getting shafted is almost normal.

Just a couple of weeks ago the bangkok authorities were saying no one was running out of tap water.. I guess they meant no one on Bangkok !!

Also just yesterday social media was hyping up video and photos of the BMA hosing down streets and using firetrucks to spray water to clean dusty roads.. A little insensitive seeing as farmers are going bankrupt upcountry for lack of that resource.

I have a river beside my house.. Even with a lot of rain last week, its not flowing at all, just a trickle of a ditch in the middle.. The ground absorbed it like a sponge.

We BADLY need some monsoon rains up here.. Not seen a year like it.

K2
    Careful what you wish for ... El Nino is forming this year and that likely to mean we get deluged, average rainfall (we've had 3 years dry-ish) means were due for 2-3 years of heavier than normal (flooding?) rains.
    Its My Life .....!

The world is getting more fcuked

We are going on 2 months of very minimal rain......unheard of in BC

178 wildfires last weekend

Quote Originally Posted by K2 View Post
    Careful what you wish for ... El Nino is forming this year and that likely to mean we get deluged, average rainfall (we've had 3 years dry-ish) means were due for 2-3 years of heavier than normal (flooding?) rains.
    Assuming if that happens it will be the Sept to Nov period ??

Just once I return from a UK 'summer' holiday huh !!

^ you missed the summer last week. Back to constant drizzle now.
    LivinLOS and Waharoa like this.

Quote Originally Posted by kris-one View Post
    ^ you missed the summer last week. Back to constant drizzle now.
    Don't say things like that Kris... I want to have a nice August, watching us get the Ashes back

The El Nino forming is only likely to make the climate in SEA drier though in the next months.

Water expert warns of the worst water shortage to come - Thai PBS English News

My 'river' next to the house has now stopped.. First time anyone local can remember it actually being dry..

Interesting, during my 12 day stay in June I never seen it rain so much for so long but apparently that was the first rain for over a month.

Looking a bit closer, it seems the region around Phuket is a bit of an anomaly when it comes to El Nino events? Do I detect a small blue balloon (wetter) down there? Similar to Sri Lanka, which kind of makes sense. It certainly has been raining quite a bit down here in the past weeks, but just around normal levels for the season I would reckon.

Perhaps some relief for California is coming, but too much precipitation is not really desirable either… Extreme events either ways rarely are...

This season the effects of El Niņo are strongest. Almost all of Indonesia, the Philippines and eastern Australia are drier than usual during most El Niņo events. Large parts of India are often drier than usual, but the Sri Lanka and some southern states get more rain. East Africa, parts of Central Asia and Spain are also on average wetter than normal during El Niņo in this season, as are Chili and Uruguay.
    Last edited by sundancekid; 15th July 2015 at 20:38.

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    Water expert warns of the worst water shortage to come - Thai PBS English News

My 'river' next to the house has now stopped.. First time anyone local can remember it actually being dry..
    The lake at the back of mine is still almost dry when in previous years it has been full in May

The vegetation grows on the dry Lake bed but usually it isn't dry long enough to allow such extensive growth.
    Last edited by soupdragon; 15th July 2015 at 21:31.

It rained hard here yesterday.. my river is still empty.. Its like the land is so dry even rainfall isnt effecting the water table yet.

I dont know how it really works with the water systems that supply bangkok, but I do remember the floods time, water was released in northern damns multiple weeks before the floods hit, that then moved down through the country, if that means that bangkok can still get dryer even after rains come to the catchment zones, which seems logical, then bangkok could get very unpleasant next month.

No water for farming - The Nation

The Provincial Waterworks Authority reported that as of yesterday, tap water service in Saraburi's Phra Phutthabat district has been suspended because there was no raw water reaching the pumping station, while there were also nine other areas where the tap-water service was disrupted.
    Downtown in Chiang Mai they are being rationed to a few hours a day.. Filling tanks in bathrooms etc.

And this is wet season..

In line with the above link.. So farmers are losing terribly, while bangkok metropolitan authority hoses down its streets etc.. Really no one gives a shit about each other in any way here.

I ride around each morning and cycle past 2 moobaans who still have water fountains and features cycling away.. My own moobaan has sprinklers on every morning and night to make the grass look green. Its pretty amazing how little anyone cares about anyone elses problems.
    soupdragon and Geespot like this.

The Kingdom has hardly ever been what you'd call "united" though.

The "I've got mine" attitude that centers in Bangkok, also spreads to other locales.

The leadership has always rather fostered divisiveness.

I very much agree with that..

But leaving on garden sprinklers twice a day just to keep the grass green.. while 100m away theres an empty river and dried out rice paddies, is kind of insensitive !!

Then again I am talk about it like its a conscious choice.. theres a very high probability no ones even considered the water timers.

I understand that this is the chang-in-the-room and not to be mentioned, but this is only going to get worse. In the very near future even, and predictably so. Simple physics will tell you that in a warming world, naturally occurring droughts will only get drier, and naturally occurring floods will only get wetter.

Add in that only a mere degree in temperature increase will destroy substantial amounts of the rice crops… and then we’ll have sea level rise destroying crops on top of that. Happening right now. And no, that is not alarmism..
    soupdragon likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast