Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Car insurance

Car insurance

I was told by a friend yesterday that the insurance companies wont insure cars older than 20 years. Anyone heard the same thing or do you have a car that's older??
    I'm thinking of getting myself a project car, but wont do it if I can't get it insured.
    I don't need a full insurance, but the basic first class that covers whatever or whoever I may hit.
    A blowjob is better than no job!!

I think hes confusing some issues.. Also dont understand your full insurance / first class comparison.

It used to be very hard to get first class (all risks) insurance over 10 years.. I think thats been expanded to 12 or 15 now ?? As more aging pickups still hold value.

You had to get 2+1 as the next best and usually at a poor rate.. Eg I couldnt get first class on the golf, or my island jeep before that.

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    I think hes confusing some issues.. Also dont understand your full insurance / first class comparison.

It used to be very hard to get first class (all risks) insurance over 10 years.. I think thats been expanded to 12 or 15 now ?? As more aging pickups still hold value.

You had to get 2+1 as the next best and usually at a poor rate.. Eg I couldnt get first class on the golf, or my island jeep before that.
    I thought first class was the most basic one in Thailand?? 3rd class is full coverage?? Anyway I'm having the cheapest one on my car and it cost me about 2500 Baht a year. It doesn't cover my car if I have an accident, but covers what ever I'm hitting.
    So you have no problem to get basic insurance for your Golf? It's over 20 years right?

No first class is 'all risk' what in the uk we call fully comprehensive.. Any accident, your or other's fault, paid in full both you and the other parties

Then theres class 2 (other party risk).. class 2 plus 1 (other party risk and 100k of your own risk)..

Compulsory government insurance (that you get when you buy your annual window tax sticker) can be just a few 100b.. Pays out 60k max.. Comes on any vehicle with a road registration any age..

I couldnt get first class on the golf, even when it was 11 or 12 years old.. I was offered class 2 plus 1 but it was at a shitty high price I thought, more than first class in more new higher value cars.. So never had anything other than government compulsory insurance.

But does the government one that comes with the sticker cover everything you may hit, or only people? Cause I've always been told to have a 3rd class on the top of that.
    Just checked my papers, and you are right about the "classes".

They brought out a similar thing in Ireland recently saying they can refuse to insure a car over 15 years old, I think it's more focused on young drivers, they being more likely to have older cars as they can't discriminate on the basis of your age but can discriminate on the age of your car.

Quote Originally Posted by geir View Post
    But does the government one that comes with the sticker cover everything you may hit, or only people? Cause I've always been told to have a 3rd class on the top of that.
    Just checked my papers, and you are right about the "classes".
    Covers 60k of damage or injury IIRC.

Another question I would like to ask here, does any no claims bonus you have accrued carry over to your next car ?

Covers 60k of damage or injury IIRC.
    That is quite scary, what if it's your fault and you total wreck a BMW or something else expensive

That is quite scary, what if it's your fault and you total wreck a BMW or something else expensive
    Move back to Norway 555
    kris-one likes this.

You open your wallet..

You open your wallet..
    Yeah, but then we're back to my original question. Would you get a 3rd class insurance on a 20+ years old car??

Would or could ??

I personally didnt.. For the golf I just had no insurance / gov insurance for the 8 or so years.. Remember not only must you crash, the crash must be your fault, to be responsible for the bill, not any damage.. Given 99% of close calls I have were other idiots I was OK with that.

As for could.. I can find out monday.. All I remember was it was 10 years on first class, and I think they've grown (or if you were previously insured you could keep it for a couple extra) and I think 15 on 2+1

Yeah, I think I've been driving close to 300k Km in Thailand and only once it was a close call that would have been my fault. I know you can get quite a lot fixed for 60k in Thailand, but at the same time it would be nice to be fully covered if for anything you may hit. Which I am on my "new" car, and even on my old Vento that I sold before it got 20 years old.

If I could have got first class on the golf at say 10 - 15 I probably would have.. But once it became too hard.. screw it..

I payed only 220k for my "new" car so I'm not bothered to have 1st class as I can take that loss. But banging up a 3 mil BMW would be way to painful
    soupdragon likes this.

I payed only 220k for my "new" car so I'm not bothered to have 1st class as I can take that loss. But banging up a 3 mil BMW would be way to painful
    That's my take on it my 9 year old Vigo ain't worth much but it is big enough to do a lot of damage so I won't take it on the road without 1st Class insurance, I pay only 10K a year so well worth it.

The reason I asked the question about no claims is I understood that 1st Class won't be available when it turns 10 years old so I will be forced to get something newer.

Quote Originally Posted by soupdragon View Post
    The reason I asked the question about no claims is I understood that 1st Class won't be available when it turns 10 years old so I will be forced to get something newer.
    Check around.. I think its a case that if you have it already, you can stay with the company a couple more years now..

I have a farang insurance agent up here whose pretty good.. He can usually answer all these via email.

Quote Originally Posted by soupdragon View Post
    That's my take on it my 9 year old Vigo ain't worth much but it is big enough to do a lot of damage so I won't take it on the road without 1st Class insurance, I pay only 10K a year so well worth it.

But a normal non government 3rd class would cover that as well. I'm paying about 2500 a year and it would cover anything except from my car.

But a normal non government 3rd class would cover that as well. I'm paying about 2500 a year and it would cover anything except from my car.
    I have had 1st Class insurance on the vehicle from new and it has been hastle free from a claims point of view. That is worth 10k to me 5555555 I wouldn't want to test a low cost policy in a big claim here even though in theory you are covered.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast