Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Phuket real estate now cheaper than BKK?

Is Phuket real estate now cheaper than BKK?

I was looking for a villa to rent in April then fell down the rabbit hole of looking at RE

It really does seem that real estate may be cheaper than it is to buy in BKK now

The properties on offer in the 15-20mil range in BKK is very underwhelming
    I can pretty much get better in Vancouver for that price

What website do you look at? 20mil is 400k GBP...and you can't get something swanky for that in BKK!?

Quote Originally Posted by kris-one View Post
    What website do you look at? 20mil is 400k GBP...and you can't get something swanky for that in BKK!?
    Mostly Craigslist and of course, those are internet prices
    But I can get nicer places in Vancouver than I can in BKK for those prices

Bangkok is so location dependant.. Out near the airport (which is now on the rail link) nice homes for 3 or 4 are not hard to find. Closer in and 6 or 7 mil condos very underwhealming..

Hua Hin always seems cheap for small pool homes, easily rentable for a return.. Moobaan homes in Chaing Mai really cheap, would struggle to build them at that price.. But all so samey and estate like.

Patong has tons of vacant Condos, and more are being built, yet prices don't seem to go down - they're just left empty. Some of them get rented, but the prices for rental on some are pretty bad and thus remain empty all year (seems pointless having it empty when a little bit lower in price would at least get your *something* in return). Over the hill in Kathu you'll find a good bunch just built or being built that are pretty decent prices, both sale and rental. Not sure about Kamala/Karon etc.

On top of that there's a current issue with one of the big advertised ones (Ace I think it was) that is on hold and behind completion due to apparent issues with the partners behind it. Owners are livid at the delays and want money back.

Re Ace condos.. I distinctly remember a few years back the condo act got changed to include a buyer protection where off plan funds, were held in a fund, and the developer couldnt get at it, they had to use a bank to finance (assume risk) and the pre sales could only be used to negotiate terms with the bank, eg show sales interest and success.. I remember this rule change but seems it simply is ignored or ineffective ??

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    Bangkok is so location dependant.. Out near the airport (which is now on the rail link) nice homes for 3 or 4 are not hard to find. Closer in and 6 or 7 mil condos very underwhealming..

Hua Hin always seems cheap for small pool homes, easily rentable for a return.. Moobaan homes in Chaing Mai really cheap, would struggle to build them at that price.. But all so samey and estate like.
    Actually I don't know how easy rentable Hua Hin is
    We rented in Orchard Residences.....4bdrm pool villa
    There must have been 30 of them for rent in that one development

Another thought on BKK real estate....for a country that loves their food, all the kitchens are shit

IIRC, all the big boys in ACE were all jailed a few months ago. I don't think anyone will be getting their money back very soon if at all.
    The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

Quote Originally Posted by marc26 View Post
    Actually I don't know how easy rentable Hua Hin is
    We rented in Orchard Residences.....4bdrm pool villa
    There must have been 30 of them for rent in that one development

Another thought on BKK real estate....for a country that loves their food, all the kitchens are shit
    I think most people who live in condos just eat street food or eat out. As you say most kitchens are shit

I guess it will change a little in the moo baans but there is a good reason why Thai's like their kitchens semi outside or annexe to the house. Only then do you more so mostly see cooking going on

Quote Originally Posted by NeedHoliday View Post
    Patong has tons of vacant Condos, and more are being built, yet prices don't seem to go down - they're just left empty. Some of them get rented, but the prices for rental on some are pretty bad and thus remain empty all year (seems pointless having it empty when a little bit lower in price would at least get your *something* in return). Over the hill in Kathu you'll find a good bunch just built or being built that are pretty decent prices, both sale and rental. Not sure about Kamala/Karon etc.

On top of that there's a current issue with one of the big advertised ones (Ace I think it was) that is on hold and behind completion due to apparent issues with the partners behind it. Owners are livid at the delays and want money back.
    This was the 1st time I can remember noticing prices being pretty reasonable in the 5-6mil range for decent places
    I saw a Kamala Hills 2bdrm for 4.4mil, which means you can get that for 4- 3.5mil likely..........although way in the back I'd be happy to live there for that price

This was the 1st time I can remember noticing prices being pretty reasonable in the 5-6mil range for decent places
    I saw a Kamala Hills 2bdrm for 4.4mil, which means you can get that for 4- 3.5mil likely..........although way in the back I'd be happy to live there for that price
    Problem there being management.. They apped the annual condo fees to 75k a year while I was there !! Thats 3 months rent given straight to Queen Bee on any ownership return.. Greedy management killing resale value and ownership returns.

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    Problem there being management.. They apped the annual condo fees to 75k a year while I was there !! Thats 3 months rent given straight to Queen Bee on any ownership return.. Greedy management killing resale value and ownership returns.
    That is only 238/mo
    What is normal?

That is only 238/mo
    What is normal?
    2 recent places

BKK Soi 11, rent was 32k, think saleable (not wish) value was about 8m. Maintenance was 32K per annum. I received the bill and forwarded to landlord

Patts - moobaan pool villa, rent was 35k, same again places for sale about 8.5m, prob sell a bit less. Maintenance for estate was just over 30k per annum. Again I saw this bill which came to my post box

Quote Originally Posted by Geespot View Post
    2 recent places

BKK Soi 11, rent was 32k, think saleable (not wish) value was about 8m. Maintenance was 32K per annum. I received the bill and forwarded to landlord

Patts - moobaan pool villa, rent was 35k, same again places for sale about 8.5m, prob sell a bit less. Maintenance for estate was just over 30k per annum. Again I saw this bill which came to my post box
    Ok.....puts that into perspective
    And a real concern with Thai owners.....who knows what they do

Ok.....puts that into perspective
    And a real concern with Thai owners.....who knows what they do
    Both of them were Thai owners

That is only 238/mo
    What is normal?
    1/3 to 1/2 that usually..

They blew the sinking fund, and now face high costs...

My CNX moobaan.. Garbage / street electrics / pool house stuff.. 1400 per house.. Security provision 4800 per annum..

Chiang Mai moobaan tho.. Not really same deal.

Apparently laws are being changed in Bali to allow freehold purchase and outright ownership for foreigners for the first time.

I wonder if this might ever happen in Phuket?

Not in the next few decades..

The nationalism is way too strong.. Listen to the anthem etc..

Quote Originally Posted by Thin White Duke View Post
    Apparently laws are being changed in Bali to allow freehold purchase and outright ownership for foreigners for the first time.

I wonder if this might ever happen in Phuket?
    That doesnt even factor into my thoughts anymore

Even at 15-20mil.....I'd put it in my wife's name
    12 years in......if it went tits up, let her have it

Although would suck if it went tits up because she was banging some dude in my 20mil place and then it is hers 555

But seriously, at this point.....any money that I might sink into Thailand is hers.....the way I look at it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast