Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Scholarships in Thailand

Scholarships in Thailand

I asked this on TD also.

Looks like we may take over care for our 15yr old neice for her last 2 years of high school and University after that.
    I am really pushing for her to move to BKK and in with my MIL.
    Right now she is sort of forcibly staying with Ao's dragon aunt I have talked about a lot and it is not a good situation.
    Basically Noon is the last bit of control she is trying to hold on to with the family.

She'd have a much more stable life with my MIL. And her mom has asked and said she'd sign her over to us if need be(no need)

Anyways but to schooling part.
    This girl is legitimately the #1 student in her school every single year and that is not an exaggeration.
    Does anyone have any experience with how scholarships to University works in Thailand?

Ao seems to think given her academic standing schools will come to her?
    Is that true?

And do their high schools help the kids in showing them how to look for scholarships?

We would try for scholarships and then pay whatever is left over.

If anyone has experience or knows about this stuff, much appreciated

One other thing. She may likely end up in the same private school as my stepson for next year.
    Would it be worth it for me to go in and ask all this?
    I mean that is what I would do in the States but don't know if it works the sake way or would not be welcomed

Never heard of any schools in Thailand that try to hunt students down........But I've heard of loads of "the no 1" in the class students. We helped out one with a loan last year (and got the money back when the family finally got payed for the rice)
    A blowjob is better than no job!!

The only scholarships I have heard of have been with charity stuff like rotary club etc and other expat groups, often choosing the very poor, orphans, hill tribe etc..

The way Thailand is.. I struggle to think that handing out scholarships to 'poor' thais is something richer thais would commonly do..

Maybe I am wrong but my gut feeling Ao's they will come to here is more 'dont think about this until its too late' Thai style decision making.

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    The only scholarships I have heard of have been with charity stuff like rotary club etc and other expat groups, often choosing the very poor, orphans, hill tribe etc..

The way Thailand is.. I struggle to think that handing out scholarships to 'poor' thais is something richer thais would commonly do..

Maybe I am wrong but my gut feeling Ao's they will come to here is more 'dont think about this until its too late' Thai style decision making.
    Actually from the initial research I have done it pretty much the same as the West.
    All the universities do give out scholarships, quite a few.
    They also have student loans.

I just don't know how active the high schools are in helping the kids gets them or something done on their own.

I was hoping someone had experience with it but something I can pursue on my own.

The problem I see here is that unless there is independent, transparent evaluation (entrance examinations with no chance of buying a grade) before entering Uni there is no way of objectively assessing a high school student from a rote learning system.
    For example - if they have spent 4 years doing advanced English classes they should be able to speak, read, comprehend and write English
    Last edited by Evilbaz; 10th August 2015 at 14:29.
    LivinLOS likes this.
    Sipping from the Fountain of Youth that is Thailand.

Quote Originally Posted by Evilbaz View Post
    The problem I see here is that unless there is independent, transparent evaluation (entrance examinations with no chance of buying a grade) before entering Uni there is no way of objectively assessing a high school student from a rote learning system.
    For example - if they have spent 4 years doing advanced English classes they should be able to speak, read, comprehend and write English
    There are entrance exams for high schools. My stepson has a bunch coming up after the new year.

Been through that with the nieces - but what's the failure rate ? 555!
    At 9th grade they are more realistic - dividing into pre-Uni stream or tech school.

100+100= oh, I need a calculator, double check, ahhh it's 200, that was a hard one.
    I love the smart no 1 student in Thailand.
    LivinLOS likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by geir View Post
    100+100= oh, I need a calculator, double check, ahhh it's 200, that was a hard one.
    You really are so condescending. I have Thai friends and acquaintances who went to Oxbridge, LSE, UCL, Imperial. Top top schools. But then again these aren't the ones you will find rubbing your crotch in a pattaya beer bar.

Quote Originally Posted by kris-one View Post
    You really are so condescending. I have Thai friends and acquaintances who went to Oxbridge, LSE, UCL, Imperial. Top top schools. But then again these aren't the ones you will find rubbing your crotch in a pattaya beer bar.
    Never been to Patts, but what we see in Thailand on daily basis is quite scary. Even people working in banks are double checking easy numbers again and again. Maybe it's lack of confidence or the fact that they have to to pay for mistakes from their own pockets that makes them look bad. Cashiers in shops are doing the same thing, if they have to think by themselves it's trouble. If your bill is let's say 405 Baht and you give them one 500 note and a 5 Baht coin it goes tits up. Maybe they are just not programmed to think.........

You really have become kind of a douche Geir
    I would ask why you bother to live in Thailand if you look down on the people so much...........but we know the answer.
    You live there for that exact reason........to feel superior.

You have worked as a pimp and now get drunk at your bar half the year...........I would think you don't exactly run with the top class of Thailand yet put them all down.

I'm sure we have actually discussed this one here before. And like before I said, try that doing that in UK or anywhere else. You will get the same blank stares. Retail customer services jobs are hardly for the brightest and best in society in any society. Same for banks. I doubt you need more than a high school graduation to get a job at a till in a bank, again these aren't rocket scientists.

Quote Originally Posted by Evilbaz View Post
    Been through that with the nieces - but what's the failure rate ? 555!
    At 9th grade they are more realistic - dividing into pre-Uni stream or tech school.
    That is the entrance exams that I am speaking about.......to get into certain high schools.

Quote Originally Posted by marc26 View Post
    You really have become kind of a douche Geir
    I would ask why you bother to live in Thailand if you look down on the people so much...........but we know the answer.
    You live there for that exact reason........to feel superior.

You have worked as a pimp and now get drunk at your bar half the year...........I would think you don't exactly run with the top class of Thailand yet put them all down.
    You really get offended easy these days Paulie. It's not about looking down on people, it's just stating facts of what I see every day. A school system where most of the effort is spent on learning their complicated language and religion does have its downsides. Basic calculation never seemed to be important in Thai schools. I know quite a few school teachers and they say exactly the same thing.......

You really get offended easy these days Paulie. It's not about looking down on people, it's just stating facts of what I see every day. A school system where most of the effort is spent on learning their complicated language and religion does have its downsides. Basic calculation never seemed to be important in Thai schools. I know quite a few school teachers and they say exactly the same thing.......
    Not offended at all.
    I probably run in a circle of 10-12 Thais at the moment. I would honestly say, given our conversations you and I have had and conversations I have with them.........8 or 9 of them are much smarter than you are.
    That is not having a go at you, it is just an honest assessment.
    And again, you worked at a p4p bar and now a bar on an island with expats and hippy tourists.
    Not exactly the cream of the crop yet you make all these generalizations.

I mean look at this thread.
    This is a serious issue I am looking into. It is expenses I have to pay so want to know the most I can about it. Forums are up to ask questions like these because I have an idea but don't know how it works exactly.

Your posts have been nothing but sarcasm and condescending...............really helpful. Which is straight out of the Thailand expat 101 handbook

Jeez.....I know people that are smarter than you. My father is stronger than yours etc........Maybe it was the wrong thread for statements about Thai school system, so I'm sorry for that.

Well most knowledge/skillsets a farang would think important to aquire is not of any great importance in a thai schoolsystem from my experience. We put the missus sister through uni, always at the top of her class and the degree atleast landed her a good job in hospital administration.
    So it obviously serves her good in Thailand but from my farang viewpoint, as an education goes, pretty much worthless.
    To trust a thai schoolsystem to teach or even encourage interest in politics, history, ethics, language, critical thinking is pretty far fetched IMO, international schools are probably another ballgame but the 7-8 students I know all went to thai unis so I couldn't really tell.

Oh, and I've not touched upon maths yet
    geir and LivinLOS like this.

Quote Originally Posted by junkhouse View Post
    Well most knowledge/skillsets a farang would think important to aquire is not of any great importance in a thai schoolsystem from my experience. We put the missus sister through uni, always at the top of her class and the degree atleast landed her a good job in hospital administration.
    So it obviously serves her good in Thailand but from my farang viewpoint, as an education goes, pretty much worthless.
    To trust a thai schoolsystem to teach or even encourage interest in politics, history, ethics, language, critical thinking is pretty far fetched IMO, international schools are probably another ballgame but the 7-8 students I know all went to thai unis so I couldn't really tell.

Oh, and I've not touched upon maths yet
    My niece and stepson are sort of at 2 different spectrums.
    At 15yrs old and basically me being her only farang interaction her life is 100% Thai. She knows very little English, only what is taught in school. She is top of her class and wants to be a doctor. Looking at Uni prices in Thailand I can handle that if that is what she wants to do.
    And being a Thai doctor in Thailand probably isn't the worse life, I'd imagine.

My stepson has a lot of Western exposure. Speaks and understands English fairly well and is now taking extra English classes at a good school and likely going to one of the better private schools in his area for high school.
    The goal with him is for him to be fluent in English and hopefully go to Uni in the West.
    He is a smart kid but I honestly have no idea how he is equivalent to kids in his grade here.
    I do know Thai students attending University here that went to Thai private and public schools and seemingly do fine here.

So kind of two different worlds for them.
    I guess what I am saying is I am not looking to elevating my niece to some worldly doctor. Right now she lives with her evil step aunt and has a father who won't even give enough money for his kids to barely eat. So if we can support her to be whatever she wants in Thailand and lift above what her lot in life was than I think that is better than what she would have had. So not really concerned with if she stands up against the West

What type of job does your SIL have at the hospital?
    Last edited by marc26; 12th August 2015 at 14:31.

It's administrative, everything from admissions to billing and such. Good thing is that her mom get's a lot of free and reduced treatment there, she went through her second battle with cancer a couple years back and struggles somewhat with diabetes from that, that and she can't learn what to eat or what not to eat.

I understand the difficulty in changing a TG's eating patterns.
    (My partner has started dialysis this year).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast