Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Thai Police

Thai Police

Seriously... do these mouth breathers ever actually serve any public good? Seems to me that basically they serve no other purpose than to exist to collect money... whether through bribes or traffic fines... and personally, it's been really grating on me lately.

I get stopped perpetually these days. I'm always wearing a helmet and not driving erratically, yet they see "big farang" come through the cash collection point, I mean police checkpoint, and wave me to the side every time. Can I see drivah license? Sure. Show 'em my stateside drivers license. Need to be for motorsai. It is. I point to the motorcycle endorsement. Need to be international drivah license. I have that too. Need to be Thai license... pretty sure if I had one of those, it would be some other made up bullshit.

Ya know what Somchai, this is the 3rd time this week one of you ass hats has tried to fleece me... are you inbreeds really that desperate for money? Are your children starving? Sick buffalo maybe?

Seriously, today I am going to the hospital. I may have a serious medical issue going on (as I posed elsewhere, I've been feeling bad for a while). They have a fkucing stop set up 100 meters in front of the hospital. We go through the usual fleece attempt and he finally gets to "where you go today?". I point to the hospital, pull my appointment paper from my pocket and show him. "You pay fine now or you go to police station for talk". No, I go to the hospital. I say it in a way that lets him know this is going to escalate badly if he gets insistent. "Maybe have problem with my heart. I dont go to police station, I go to hospital now". He pauses, thinks, then waves me on.

As I sat waiting on the doc a few minutes later, I struggled to come up with one single positive public function that police actually serve in this country. Even the always positive Taky loathes the very site of them. She got pulled over last week and they tried just making stuff up on her- have license? yes. Have tax? Yes. Have your greenbook? what... why? It was 7:45 in the morning and some low ranking guy started arguing with her until she said "I can smell strong alcohol on you. If I go to police station to talk with your boss, you need to go with me so we can talk about why you drink already today". He waived her through and walked off without another word.

It's just sad when the law enforcement apparatus of the state so openly preys on the public and the visitors...

/RANT
    Last edited by WarProfiteer; 19th September 2015 at 15:09.

So basically a Mafia wearing a police uniform...

But don't worry, the head of the Mafia is going to make sure that the same people benefit from this for a long, long time...

I always found the CM police over officious and often on the lookout for money but never as bad as what Kev is reporting here....mind, I have never lived there..just visits, but still pulled over for BS each time (helmet before the rule came in, indicator, changing lanes, one way etc etc)....I wonder has their earning power dropped with the Army presence up there?

TBH I have been pulled over once in my 3 and a half years living on Samui...and that was for not wearing a helmet...I have been waived through many not wearing one though...I think they don't want to bother farangs here too much..possibly being so reliant on tourism

One of the reasons I left BKK once I had my Ninja was getting stopped 3-4 times a day for the gouge

Pattaya stopped 2 times in over a year, no gouging just licence check

Just drove from Khon Keen to Patts I went through 14 checkpoints. Stopped twice no gouging no documents check. 8 checkpoints in Chaiyaphum province alone

I'm not sure if things are any worse than they have always been spanning 13 years experience

This year seems far worse for me than in the 3 years prior to it.

Taky told me (after this post as I was telling her about my stop in front of the hospital when she came home from work) about how the newest scam in CM is asking for the green book, if the person has a helmet and has the proper license. All her friends are talking about it as they've now all been asked for it. Most people keep their green books at home. Who the hell stores their green book with the bike? If it's stolen, now they got the goddamn green book too.

Basically, it feels like anything they can do to create a fine, they do.

Good to hear it's not nationwide... still, the question remains... what good do they actually do? All I see is predatory behavior.... from expats to locals here, everyone is a potential victim.

Quote Originally Posted by WarProfiteer View Post
    This year seems far worse for me than in the 3 years prior to it.

Taky told me (after this post as I was telling her about my stop in front of the hospital when she came home from work) about how the newest scam in CM is asking for the green book, if the person has a helmet and has the proper license. All her friends are talking about it as they've now all been asked for it. Most people keep their green books at home. Who the hell stores their green book with the bike? If it's stolen, now they got the goddamn green book too.

Basically, it feels like anything they can do to create a fine, they do.

Good to hear it's not nationwide... still, the question remains... what good do they actually do? All I see is predatory behavior.... from expats to locals here, everyone is a potential victim.
    Just keep a copy of the green book

If your car or M bike / scooter is on HP you don't get the green book anyway just a copy of it..........certainly been the case on any of our cars on HP. I always kept a copy of ID card, housebook and permission to drive letter when anyrging was in her name and I was driving somewhere of distance

Yeah, the lease agreement/housebook is what they go to when you actually have the greenbook (which one of her friends did).

License? Yes. Tax papers? Yes. Greenook? Yes. Ok, now I want your lease agreement or housebook.

Point is, it's getting fcuking ridiculous... police arent police here, they are vultures.

That would drive me to drink or worse.....opium pipe to calm down probably.
    Waharoa likes this.

Cant say I have had any special issues with them in chiang mai.. sure got stopped last week for no helmet, paid the 200b bribe price.. Havent been stopped for months before that..

Got stopped last year on the blade, a bike which is not what you would call standard.. he points to the carbon can, cannot no modify.. Nope thats standard (took some effort to keep a straight face).. not standard.. yes standard.. no standard.. YES standard.. get your boss.. Boss comes.. You cannot.. yes standard.. We played this game for 10 mins until he realized I wasnt quitting and they were both missing much easier helmet fines.. OK go !!

The essential fact where Kev is right is they are effectively useless.. Have a problem, police are not solving it.. They might sit around and write a paper, but the police dont really 'solve' anything much..

Buy why would you live there if you feel you have to go through this crap?
    What is the actual benefits?

Quote Originally Posted by Geespot View Post
    One of the reasons I left BKK once I had my Ninja was getting stopped 3-4 times a day for the gouge

Pattaya stopped 2 times in over a year, no gouging just licence check

Just drove from Khon Keen to Patts I went through 14 checkpoints. Stopped twice no gouging no documents check. 8 checkpoints in Chaiyaphum province alone

I'm not sure if things are any worse than they have always been spanning 13 years experience
    Would that be because you are in a car and also they don't speak English well?
    I drove from BKK to Kanchanaburi to Surat Thani and they waved me though about 6 stops
    Just figured they couldn't speak English

Thailand Wins 'Ig Nobel' Distinction for Bribing Cops not to Take Bribes

BANGKOK — Thailand's police force is more accustomed to criticism and calls for reform when it comes to the international community. But that changed today with a US-based organization honoring the force for creative economics.

At the 25th annual Ig Nobel awards ceremony, a satirical prize in economics was bestowed upon the Bangkok Metropolitan Police Bureau for a short-lived policy of rewarding police officers who refuse to take bribes.
    Organizers of Ig Nobel, a parody of the prestigious Nobel Prize, named the metro police a winner “for offering to pay policemen extra cash if the policemen refuse to take bribes,” according to its website.
    The award is organized by science humor magazine “Annals of Improbable Research.” Its stated aim is to recognize scientific achievements that “make people laugh, and then think.”
    Other winners of this year’s prizes included: Chemistry to partially un-boil an egg, the discovery that "huh?" exists in every human language and proof that nearly all mammals empty their bladder in about 21 seconds.
    'The Stinker' is the official mascot of the Ig Nobel Prize. Image: Improbable Research
    The Metropolitan Police Bureau did not send any representatives to attend the awards ceremony, which was held in a Harvard University auditorium in Cambridge, Massachusetts. It was the second win for Thailand in recent memory. A 2013 Ig Nobel in public health was awarded for decades-old research into surgical solutions to cope with an epidemic of penis involuntary amputations.
    Today’s award recognized a policy announced in early October 2014 to combat rampant bribe-taking among traffic police. Under the policy, officers who refused to take bribes would receive a cash reward of up to 10,000 baht.
    Under Thai law, state officials including police who accept bribes from the public face life in jail if convicted. However in reality bribery is extremely common among the Thai bureaucracy, especially the police and military forces.
    The much-ridiculed policy only lasted about two weeks before being canceled, after at least two police officers received 10,000 baht each for refusing to take bribes.
    Explaining the scheme’s ignoble end, MPB commander Sriwarah Rangsipramnakul said the measure ended up causing criticism in social media and damaging the force’s reputation.
    Nevertheless, the idea of rewarding police officers for performing their duty was resurrected in the aftermath of last month’s bomb attack that killed 20 people in central Bangkok.
    After offering to pay 3 million baht to members of the public providing information leading to the arrest of those responsible, the Royal Thai Police eventually handed the reward to themselves for taking one suspect into custody in a raid of an apartment in capital’s Nong Chok district.
    The suspect, Adem Karadag, has denied any involvement in the bombing and suggested he was set up by a human trafficker, according to his lawyer.

'If it floats, flies or fcuks , it's cheaper to rent"

Wasn't police corruption on Prayat's list of things to tackle? Maybe they've got wind that they are next now that the rice payments are done

It would really pee me off and it's one of the top things that would put me off living there.

I don't even like the police when they are working for the good guys.

Umm who are the good guys again?

Oh ya forgot.....all the Nanny State crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by marc26 View Post
    Would that be because you are in a car and also they don't speak English well?
    I drove from BKK to Kanchanaburi to Surat Thani and they waved me though about 6 stops
    Just figured they couldn't speak English
    I think it's partly that but also they are looking mostly for drugs weapons etc and assume westerners won't have or be involved in that

On the main routes north to south it's like a drag net tactic
    LivinLOS likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dontpanic View Post
    Wasn't police corruption on Prayat's list of things to tackle? Maybe they've got wind that they are next now that the rice payments are done

It would really pee me off and it's one of the top things that would put me off living there.
    My BIL's just had to pay 60k for hitting a cop and I think that's a bargain
    They asked for 200k initially
    But even though worked for us it is still corruption.

Buy why would you live there if you feel you have to go through this crap?
    What is the actual benefits?
    You just get used to the idea of not having a safety net.

My BIL's just had to pay 60k for hitting a cop and I think that's a bargain
    They asked for 200k initially
    But even though worked for us it is still corruption.
    You know.. I dont know how much I see that as corruption and how much I see that as just a fucked up justice system..

Its not a fair justice system, dont get my acceptance or understanding of it, to mean I think its right.. But in the west, you punch a guy in the street or you punch a cop, do they get an equal punishment ??

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    You just get used to the idea of not having a safety net.
    But if clearly frustrates you that much I don't see the upside

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    You know.. I dont know how much I see that as corruption and how much I see that as just a fucked up justice system..

Its not a fair justice system, dont get my acceptance or understanding of it, to mean I think its right.. But in the west, you punch a guy in the street or you punch a cop, do they get an equal punishment ??
    I wasn't saying its right or wrong.....just that it is still very much going on.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast