• 2 Post By soupdragon
  • 1 Post By LivinLOS
  • 1 Post By dawsey
  • 2 Post By WarProfiteer
  • 1 Post By bobdickgus

Thread: Fatal Box Jelly in Samui

Fatal Box Jelly in Samui

German tourist dies after being stung by box jellyfish

The 20-year-old German tourist received fatal stings when she became entangled in the long poisonous tentacles of a box jellyfish at Lamai beach shortly after going swimming about 8pm, said Pol Maj Udomsak Thappa, a duty officer at Bophut police station.

Another 20-year-old German woman was also stung when she went into the sea to help her friend, Thai media reported today (Oct 7).

Staff at the bungalow where the two women stayed told police they were seen drinking beer on the beach around 8pm on Tuesday. Shortly afterwards they heard screaming and they rushed to see what was wrong. They found the two women crying in pain with jelly fish stings along their bodies.

The staff immediately alerted the Koh Samui municipality’s rescue centre. Rescue workers hurried to the scene and gave first aid by pouring vinegar onto the wounds and rushed them to Bangkok Samui Hospital.

However, the first woman to be stung died shortly after. Her friend was still being treated at the hospital.

On Aug 1, a Thai tourist, Chanant Surin, 31, also died after she was stung by box jellyfish while swimming at a beach on Koh Pha-ngan.

Authorities have issued warnings about the danger from box jellyfish stings while swimming off the island at this time of year.

In Thailand, this poisonous jelly fish is also found near Koh Mak in Trat and Koh Lanta in Krabi, according to the Eastern Marine Fisheries Research and Development Centre website.
    German tourist dies after being stung by box jellyfish | Bangkok Post: news

Provincial public health authorities who oversee Samui were today warning tourists not to go swimming at any beach in the region after dark.
    Are they non toxic during the day ?
    LivinLOS and Waharoa like this.

haven't heard about this one as yet although there have been a few stings reported lately

I have read reports that vinegar only irritates the toxic barbs and makes matters worse

I do a 1k swim most days at Lamai Beach..no stings of any description so far in the past 3 1/2 yeas of living here

Quote Originally Posted by nelsonone View Post
    I have read reports that vinegar only irritates the toxic barbs and makes matters worse
    It is important to identify what causes the sting. Vinegar is effective for jellyfish stings but will make things worse for a sting from a Portuguese Man O War as it is different organism.

This sorta shit freaks me out! I was swimming off koh Racha several years ago and suddenly started feeling tiny stings all over my body. I had goggles on but couldn't see any fish or any living creatures near me. Apparently it was the remanents of jelly fish after getting washed up on rocks etc.

That same day I saw the fin of a dolphin but thought it was a shark when I was in the water and also water snakes!

I got back into the boat and drank beer for the rest of the day.....just happy to be alive! 555

Quote Originally Posted by nelsonone View Post
    haven't heard about this one as yet although there have been a few stings reported lately

I do a 1k swim most days at Lamai Beach..no stings of any description so far in the past 3 1/2 yeas of living here
    Do you remember a few years back when I was swimming in Lamai, I mentioned that I was getting a funny mass tingle/stinging feeling when I went swimming... I vaguely remember you saying it was perhaps shredded jelly fish remnants or something? Or maybe you said it was something else... was quite strange though, like thousands of small needles pricking me at the same time...

Yeah you get that in some times of year.. I have been told both 'sea lice' (which I dont believe as its stings not bites) and like you guys jellyfish stings..

They are more an irritant than a real sting.. But dont make for a nice feeling..
    Waharoa likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Waharoa View Post
    Do you remember a few years back when I was swimming in Lamai, I mentioned that I was getting a funny mass tingle/stinging feeling when I went swimming... I vaguely remember you saying it was perhaps shredded jelly fish remnants or something? Or maybe you said it was something else... was quite strange though, like thousands of small needles pricking me at the same time...
    Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    Yeah you get that in some times of year.. I have been told both 'sea lice' (which I dont believe as its stings not bites) and like you guys jellyfish stings..

They are more an irritant than a real sting.. But dont make for a nice feeling..
    we do get these small clear jelly fish "cubes" in the water sometimes...as Sef says, not a harsh sting as such and they don't leave a mark but they do give off a burning (stinging like) sensation when they slide across your body

Not sure if it was these or something else

Quote Originally Posted by Waharoa View Post
    "
    My two kids and I had the same sensation snorkelling off Phi Phi Island. Not very pleasant at all. I was told by the boatman "sea lice"
    Waharoa likes this.
    RIP Nicke June 1971 - Jan 2013.

AT SOME POINT IN LIFE, EVERYONE HAS GAMBLED ON A FART AND LOST.

RIP to the poor guy who just wanted to swim on his vacation.

I've never been one much for swimming. Even far less so when it comes to swimming in the ocean.

Sorry to see this happened as the last thing Thailand needs right now is another reason for tourists to avoid coming...
    soupdragon and dawsey like this.

Ahhhh nature!
    The invisible stinging usually one of these:Sea bather's eruption. DermNet NZ
    Swimmer's itch. DermNet NZ
    Waharoa likes this.