Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Thai Craft / Micro Brew

Thai Craft / Micro Brew

Good little docu.. Enable subs..

New place just opened in town.. Unsure if his are import or domestic.. Will report soon.

I know a lot of the domestic is not legal or fiddling the taxes..

It's such a 'thing'' now in London (prob UK too) - craft beer & micro breweries. Can get huge selections in supermarkets and even Weatherspoons have specials every week. I quite like the IPAs but they bloody strong - some are 6.5-7%. Absolutely killer headaches the next day.

Quote Originally Posted by kris-one View Post
    It's such a 'thing'' now in London (prob UK too) - craft beer & micro breweries. Can get huge selections in supermarkets and even Weatherspoons have specials every week. I quite like the IPAs but they bloody strong - some are 6.5-7%. Absolutely killer headaches the next day.
    We have micro-breweries all about town
    You buy the jug and can just go in an fill it up.........comes to about 5 1/2 beers per jug and much cheaper than if you buying cans/bottles at the liquor store

Yup, we gottem up here in the boonies too sho' nuff

I love these micro pubs and micro breweries; there's an explosion of them. They get a very good tax break, 50% less duty compared to the major brewers, so they make good business sense as well.

Actually I get headaches from some smaller locally brewed beers because it seems to be more carbonation in them
    They seem bubblier...........at least some do

There is a local brand that is always on sale in bars, Granville Island..........I won't touch it, gives me an instant headache

I've become a beer snob, and drink almost exclusively small, local brews. We have a couple of phenomenal local brewers here in Nashville (Yazoo and Fat Bottom). Just went to a big beer fest a couple of weeks ago. Dozens of local and regional brewers sampling all sorts of new stuff. Some really off the wall stuff I thought was nasty (like applewood bacon beer and pineapple cider), but lots of really great, creative stuff too.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve@thaib View Post
    I love these micro pubs and micro breweries; there's an explosion of them. They get a very good tax break, 50% less duty compared to the major brewers, so they make good business sense as well.
    The exact opposite here of course.. Just more examples of top down control and the asian paternalism / connections mindset. Its funny how those subtle social characteristics end up having such large effects in totally unrelated issues like 'what beer you can buy' or 'why roundabouts dont wok'.. Really is strange to me.

Quote Originally Posted by marc26 View Post
    Actually I get headaches from some smaller locally brewed beers because it seems to be more carbonation in them
    They seem bubblier...........at least some do

There is a local brand that is always on sale in bars, Granville Island..........I won't touch it, gives me an instant headache
    Ohh yeah.. its the air in the beer thats giving you the hangovers

Well, the bubbles would be CO2, but still unlikely to be the cause of the hangover.
    I do enjoy the variety of micro and craft brews available these days. Even basic grocery stores like Safeway have a good selection now. Ciders are also getting pretty popular, and the variety has exploded over the last year.

I actually have a buddy up here in chaing mai and we went over to his wedding in Udon where I met all his large UK family for a 3 day bender.. One of his brothers started a local brewery in the UK and is doing roaring trade, turned a home brewing hobby into what was sounding like a large and rapidly growing business. Fair play to him, we spent a few boozy hours discussing preferences and flavor..

Back to the vid.. Its exactly this kind of modern Thailand, sort of cool urban little bit hipster, that I really like about where I live.. Bangkok has it, but its downed in the urban noise of it all for me.. But I dont see it in many other tourist spots. There was actually a 12 tap craft beer party on friday (but all import not the contraband of the video) I was supposed to go to, but as per usual we ended up in the grubby Loy Kroh bars. With luck I will give that a taste test tonight. I note he also had draft cider which is a rarity, most asian ciders are the sweet side I dont really go for so badly.

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    I actually have a buddy up here in chaing mai and we went over to his wedding in Udon where I met all his large UK family for a 3 day bender.. One of his brothers started a local brewery in the UK and is doing roaring trade, turned a home brewing hobby into what was sounding like a large and rapidly growing business. Fair play to him, we spent a few boozy hours discussing preferences and flavor..

Back to the vid.. Its exactly this kind of modern Thailand, sort of cool urban little bit hipster, that I really like about where I live.. Bangkok has it, but its downed in the urban noise of it all for me.. But I dont see it in many other tourist spots. There was actually a 12 tap craft beer party on friday (but all import not the contraband of the video) I was supposed to go to, but as per usual we ended up in the grubby Loy Kroh bars. With luck I will give that a taste test tonight. I note he also had draft cider which is a rarity, most asian ciders are the sweet side I dont really go for so badly.
    Actually all you have to do is go to Thonglor and there is as many hipster places as in North America now
    Great places

I was speaking to a girl that just graduated Chulakorn University, she was at my place for Thanksgiving.
    And we were talking about Tokyo, where she had interned and I mentioned that I liked how farang and Japanese all hung out at the same places and started to explain that you don't see that in Thailand when I realized I was pretty wrong about that these days.
    Many non p4p placed in Bangkok are now mixed crowds

Quote Originally Posted by tnlawyer View Post
    I've become a beer snob, and drink almost exclusively small, local brews. We have a couple of phenomenal local brewers here in Nashville (Yazoo and Fat Bottom). Just went to a big beer fest a couple of weeks ago. Dozens of local and regional brewers sampling all sorts of new stuff. Some really off the wall stuff I thought was nasty (like applewood bacon beer and pineapple cider), but lots of really great, creative stuff too.
    Well, of course they are going to have great micro breweries in Tennessee....plenty of practice. They've been making moonshine forever.55555
    LivinLOS and tnlawyer like this.
    The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

Quote Originally Posted by marc26 View Post
    Actually all you have to do is go to Thonglor and there is as many hipster places as in North America now
    Great places

I was speaking to a girl that just graduated Chulakorn University, she was at my place for Thanksgiving.
    And we were talking about Tokyo, where she had interned and I mentioned that I liked how farang and Japanese all hung out at the same places and started to explain that you don't see that in Thailand when I realized I was pretty wrong about that these days.
    Many non p4p placed in Bangkok are now mixed crowds
    Yeah Thonglor was exactly the zone I was thinking of in BKK.. And the niman (and increasingly spreading around the city for the more funky, cheaper rents, student and lower budget ideas) stuff reminds me of a mini thonglor kind of vibe.

Ohh yeah.. its the air in the beer thats giving you the hangovers
    I've been on quite a few brewery courses over the years and they all told us the same thing; there's nothing in beer ( chemical wise ) to cause headaches. They usually come from dehydration. Not that I'm a scientist or understand it entirely but that's what we've always been told.

Any links for Thonglor bars? Wouldn't mind having a look when I'm there, it would be a treat to get away from the Heineken/San Mig Lite and find something a bit better.

Well theres house of beers chain all over.. Theres one in thonglor for example.. One up here on Niman, etc etc.. Left me a little unimpressed maybe they are trying to export bangkok prices to the north ??

Theres Brew in thonglor and apoteka which I went to on sukhumvit 11 or 13 ?? More a cocktail joint with 'fancy beers' and not a legit microbrew feeling..

Actually I kinda of meant the thonglor was kind of a similar trendy vibe compared to chaing mai on a smaller scale rather than suggesting it was micro / craft brew destination.. I think with Thais love of trendy, and to be seen and instagrammed, trendy beers, moreso than wines but in the same way, are going to boom here in the next few years. Seems right now theres 'pop up' craft beer bars, underground brewing, spceciality hidden places like mikleller for word of mouth buzz..

Its a segment I think is getting hot and fits the thai seen and be seen scene.

Any links for Thonglor bars? Wouldn't mind having a look when I'm there, it would be a treat to get away from the Heineken/San Mig Lite and find something a bit better.
    What type of places you looking for?
    I know quite a few
    There are small quirkie places, more trendy places, etc....

Quirky. I'm not a trendy guy I would be very pleased to find something with some alternative beers.

Quirky. I'm not a trendy guy I would be very pleased to find something with some alternative beers.
    Just walk down Thong Lo loads of bars and restaurants, think if u go left at Soi 13 (on Thong Lo) again there are loads and loads of places. One place in a square of entertainment places does imported and craft beers, its pretty cool around there. When I remember the name of the place I will edit

Edit Brew Pub Thong Lo Soi 13 in the complex, been there quite a few times, deffo a place to be seen
    http://www.bangkok.com/magazine/brew-pub.htm#
    Last edited by Geespot; 15th October 2015 at 01:16.

Well theres house of beers chain all over.. Theres one in thonglor for example.. One up here on Niman, etc etc.. Left me a little unimpressed maybe they are trying to export bangkok prices to the north ??

Theres Brew in thonglor and apoteka which I went to on sukhumvit 11 or 13 ?? More a cocktail joint with 'fancy beers' and not a legit microbrew feeling..

Actually I kinda of meant the thonglor was kind of a similar trendy vibe compared to chaing mai on a smaller scale rather than suggesting it was micro / craft brew destination.. I think with Thais love of trendy, and to be seen and instagrammed, trendy beers, moreso than wines but in the same way, are going to boom here in the next few years. Seems right now theres 'pop up' craft beer bars, underground brewing, spceciality hidden places like mikleller for word of mouth buzz..

Its a segment I think is getting hot and fits the thai seen and be seen scene.
    There are places all over BKK now and have been for last 3 years or so but agreed Thong Lo has a good proportion of them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast