Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Chaing Mai bar purge

Chaing Mai bar purge

Its really going daft now..

At 11:55 in a bar the other night they refused me another drink, while my buddies still had theirs, they wouldnt even let me get a sidewinder to finish together after watching me down drinks at a rate of one per 3 mins.. When I started to protest on came the flouro lights out came the check bins and it wasnt even midnight !!

I also noted last night out all the bottles have again been taken off the shelves 'can not show.. no show'.. etc.. But thats seems to be on and off every other time I look.. The beer republic menu cards have all been reprinted with pixelated images because showing the image of a beer in a glass is now 'against the law' on a menu card !!

Last 2 or 3 times I have been out has left us bouncing around looking for a lock in at 12:30 which is ridiculous in a city this size.. Bars clubs everything getting the order.

Hell there must have been 100 thais sat at the outside tables at the damn macdonalds at 1am.. Sat, scanning cellphones, under flouro strip lights, no music, no vibe.. just for somewhere to be.. Thats just silly and its causing HUGE losses for the bar trade and just closing nightclubs.

Now we have this

Campus Safety Zone Puts All Bars Within 1km of CMU at Risk
    by CityNews
    October 13, 2015

CityNews – Chiang Mai Vice Governor, Chana Paengpibun, has announced a new ‘Campus Safety Zone’ around Chiang Mai University, ordering all pubs, bars, restaurants, stores, apartments and any other venues selling alcohol within a 1km radius of the campus grounds to sign an MOU to cooperate with the reorganisation of alcohol and cigarette control in the area.

(the red line denotes a 1km radius of the CMU campus highlighted green grey)

It is yet unclear what the reorganisation will entail specifically. The 1km radius of CMU covers all of Suthep road up until the suandok park, the canal road, huaykaew road up to the Shell gas station and the entirety of Nimmanhaemin Road, Maya Shopping Centre, Sirimankaljan Road and their surrounding sois.

According to one survey, there are over 1000 venues that can sell alcohol within the 1km radius.

On August 13 Puttipong Sirimart, the deputy head of the board of the Campus Safety Zone, signed a document regarding new forms of penalties for any venues breaking any of the following rules:

1. Allowing underage people into the venue.

2. Selling alcohol to those underage.

3. Closing after hours.

4. Allowing guns, weapons, bombs and drugs in their venue.

5. Selling alcohol outside of the government designated hours of 11am – 2pm and 5pm – 12am.

If any venue is found breaking any laws, the venue will have its alcohol permit revoked and the venue will have to close down for five years.

Puttipong also added that bars that make too much noise will also be closed down for five years.

On October 6, Police Colonel Mongkol Sampawapon lead an investigation team of police to check pubs and bars in the 1km Campus Safety Zone. They found one venue selling alcohol without a licence, 7 venues selling alcohol to underage persons, two failed to provide a smoking area, and one bar to be playing music too loud.

As a result of the police investigation, 19 venues were closed down, had their alcohol permits revoked and ordered to close down for five years.
    They are applying this to restaurants too.. No wine with your lunch in wine connection ?!?! No afternoon trade at all for 1000 bars !!

"On October 6, Police Colonel Mongkol Sampawapon lead an investigation team of police to check pubs and bars in the 1km Campus Safety Zone. They found one venue selling alcohol without a licence, 7 venues selling alcohol to underage persons, two failed to provide a smoking area, and one bar to be playing music too loud.

As a result of the police investigation, 19 venues were closed down, had their alcohol permits revoked and ordered to close down for five years."

Problems were found at 11 places so 19 were closed ?? two (maybe more with this funny math) because they failed to provide a smoking area. That gives us an idea of where this is heading.

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    "On October 6, Police Colonel Mongkol Sampawapon lead an investigation team of police to check pubs and bars in the 1km Campus Safety Zone. They found one venue selling alcohol without a licence, 7 venues selling alcohol to underage persons, two failed to provide a smoking area, and one bar to be playing music too loud.

As a result of the police investigation, 19 venues were closed down, had their alcohol permits revoked and ordered to close down for five years."

Problems were found at 11 places so 19 were closed ?? two (maybe more with this funny math) because they failed to provide a smoking area. That gives us an idea of where this is heading.
    You don't have beach chairs to ban....sooo...
    A woman won The Nobel Peace Prize? Must have been a pretty good sandwich.

Wow, five year closures? Effectively out of business for having music too loud or not providing a smoking area?

If they ever wanted to provoke people into reacting this would be a real good place to start.

The economy is for many reasons in a noticeably dire state here.. Not being so tourist driven etc.. Perhaps more than any other bit of Thailand I have been to.

This is clearly pushing many places over the edge, its like they are trying to provoke a tipping point which puts the economy onto a downward path.. Bar stuff is just one aspect but it feeds so many other grey market economy parts.. Food stalls, etc etc

Sounds like McDonald's is behind it...
    LivinLOS likes this.
    A woman won The Nobel Peace Prize? Must have been a pretty good sandwich.

Its amazing how tolerant the north and north east are being

How long can it continue? It seems to be fairly blatant application of you don't support us so we are going to fuck you at every turn. BKK western orientated opening hours have been extended to 3am in Nana & Cowboy etc dunno about nightclubs but I would guess 5-6am being the norm.

There's always been a late night economy there though hasn't there? As has been said not just bars but food stalls, tuk-tuks etc. and bearing down on it knocks on to everything.

I said last year that it felt, to me, like the city was being punished for beeing 'too red'.

Quote Originally Posted by Geespot View Post
    Its amazing how tolerant the north and north east are being

How long can it continue? It seems to be fairly blatant application of you don't support us so we are going to fuck you at every turn. BKK western orientated opening hours have been extended to 3am in Nana & Cowboy etc dunno about nightclubs but I would guess 5-6am being the norm.
    How long will students put up with it is going to be an interesting question. It's usually students who are the first to push back.
    Geespot likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve@thaib View Post
    How long will students put up with it is going to be an interesting question. It's usually students who are the first to push back.
    While I think students my be a rallying point on the political front.. I dont see students 'rebelling' due to the bar nightlife enforcement.. Theres too much built in 'obey father' mindset.

But your right, I doubt it makes them fans of the current regime.

http://asiancorrespondent.com/136139...brity-scandal/

Warning that the law also prohibits encouraging “people indirectly” to drink alcohol, Samarn said this week that even private citizens could be prosecuted for posting pictures of themselves drinking on social media.
    Just remember.. Posting a picture of yourself in a bar or drinking is illegal.. Its the LAW !!

LOLz

Ha ha ha.. Ohh the loonys are really at it right now

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail...sid=1444800801

Since the scandal erupted, Samarn has insisted private citizens will also be prosecuted for posting photos showing alcohol.

“These people will also be held accountable, because they cannot defy the law,” he said, referring to anyone who posts such photos.

The law does not only prohibit traditional advertising, but also any effort to “encourage people indirectly” to drink alcohol, Samarn said.

“If they have no intention to do that, they won’t be guilty,” Samarn said. “However, people shouldn’t post photos of themselves with alcoholic beverages anyway, because it’s a sinful product. It’s an immoral product. They shouldn’t pose with that product, because it’s not good for them.

Samarn is a deeply conservative Buddhist and high-profile prohibitionist. He has helped write drafts of a number of laws and regulations aimed to restrict the availability of alcoholic beverages

^ He sounds like a laugh a minute...

Jeeeeze, how fcuked up is that?

Here in 'Vegas of course, we have open bar 24/7/365...and we have laws governing the building of schools near our liquor holes! 555
    dawsey likes this.

“If they have no intention to do that, they won’t be guilty,” Samarn said. “However, people shouldn’t post photos of themselves with alcoholic beverages anyway, because it’s a sinful product. It’s an immoral product. They shouldn’t pose with that product, because it’s not good for them.”

You'll soon be wondering if you are in Thailand or Saudi Arabia the way things are panning out. The lunatics have finally taken over.
    Pablo, K2 and Petter like this.
    RIP Nicke June 1971 - Jan 2013.

AT SOME POINT IN LIFE, EVERYONE HAS GAMBLED ON A FART AND LOST.

K2
    Ha ha ha.. Ohh the loonys are really at it right now
    "You've got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em, Know when to walk away, know when to run. You never count your money when you're sittin' at the table, There'll be time enough for countin' when the dealin's done."

I ain't missin' (CNX) at all ...
    Its My Life .....!

I was out tonight on Loy Kroh as I have a buddy visiting from BKK... lots of complaints for the girls and the bar managers... people seem to just be holding on and hoping things change. My old 'regular friends' have all (only 3 of them) left town and arent planning on returning unless something big changes and they hear thru the bamboo network that all is well again. Why should they stay? They can go to BKK or Pattaya or Phuket and avoid all this BS.

The scene here is definitely weaker now than even just a few months ago... and it was already pretty miniscule to begin with compared to the other locations. We had one FL hangout (Zoe) that started going around midnight, then another (Spicy Club) that started getting good at 2am... both are shut down now pretty much.

One thing I'm definitely noticing now... way more streetwalkers than I've ever seen here before... I guess if the venues all keep getting taken away, the gals will turn to streetwalking to ply their trade. Ya pretty much cant sit anywhere near the Thapae Gate area for very long these days (nights, really) without an obvious working gal walking by and trying to strike a convo.

I assumed you were away for your new job ?!?

Quote Originally Posted by WarProfiteer View Post
    way more streetwalkers than I've ever seen here before... I guess if the venues all keep getting taken away, the gals will turn to streetwalking to ply their trade. Ya pretty much cant sit anywhere near the Thapae Gate area for very long these days (nights, really) without an obvious working gal walking by and trying to strike a convo.
    Well if midnight closures are in effect and so many more are milling about on the streets..

I have recently found / was taken to a new secret lock in.. Biggish place.. noisy funish karaoke (if there is such a thing).. I vaguely remember treating them to 'my way' the lucky buggers !! Hidden in a residential area (poor neighbors).. where I came out at 5:30 or so and was still going strong.. I got home at 6am and the missus was already up !! I then had to pass the sniff test !! So of course theres still hidden places but really there shouldnt be the need for it in a city this size.

I hear that Nicky from Papa Rocks, a music and food place outside the city in mae hia, past the airport into hang dong !! miles from anything residential, probably 8 or 10kms out of town.. Was called to a meeting and told they have to enforce the 2 - 5 daytime restrictions and any violation they will be closed first time (5 years they were told).. this is a place that does sunday roasts, a solid lunchtime western food menu, etc etc.. Its not a late night joint, its not anti social at all.. Its the kind of place where a family would bring young kids and is 80% day trade, with his music evenings and jam band for the 20%. If he cant serve a beer with lunch people are already saying thats not worth going for.. This will be very hard for him to survive. Lets be clear here, this isnt a late night bar, this isnt an anti social place, this isnt a place where school or uni kids come, this isnt a place with girls or anything morally dodgy pushing its luck. This is a food / daytime / early evening music bar come restaurant. Yet even this they are crushing out of business, using a rule imposed no where else in the country !! why ??

Last, I have already noticed an uptick reports of 'kids on the streets causing trouble'.. There was a machete incident between 2 Thai groups down at iron bridge.. People are saying the amount of kids on the streets there now means its somewhere to be aware of late.. You take away legit controlled places, with bouncers, for people to go and they will hang out outside, uncontrolled, and there will be more conflict outside.. Its just obvious !!

I assumed you were away for your new job ?!?
    It's a bit of a long story, the bottom line is that the job I locked in was a Dept of State gig, not a defense one. It seems the US Dept of State has their own unique system of issuing clearances. So although I've had a Dept of Defense clearance for 15 years, and have been investigated and up-dated every few years, the Dept of State is starting from square 1 with their investigation. I've been waiting 2.5 months now for them to get shit done and send me some tickets. Hell, the contract ends in late December!

So I did what I thought best... I hedged my bets by applying elsewhere. Sure enough, last week I interviewed and was accepted for a different gig... a dept of defense one this time. I was told to expect a 2.5 week timeline to mobilization, not a 2.5 month one, haha. I was happy as the gig pays 35% more and lasts at least until next April, with a (now) very likely contract extension until April 2017.

I was actually down in Pattaya last week. I had gone to Saigon late last month, which was enjoyable but the nightlife scene there left much to be desired... and the 3-4 month itch I tend to get remained unscratched. So when a buddy wanted to hit Pattaya for 4 days, I quickly agreed to go along. I actually got the request to interview while I was sitting in a gogo on LK Metro. I sent back "I'll call you in 30 minutes". Popped back to the room, opened Skype, gave the folks a call and locked in the new gig.

Going from Pattaya to Chiang Mai nightlife is just full-on depressing, btw. I have a friend visiting Chiang Mai who has never gone into the nightlife anywhere in SE Asia, so we headed out to Loy Kroh last night. I'd been back from Pattaya only 2 days. Yeah, that's a miserable comparison. I mean, the nightlife isnt at all why I live in Chiang Mai, but when you've been elsewhere most of the week and seen how it's business as usual and the party goes on until dawn (and beyond), then come to Chiang Mai to witness the draconian enforcement of rules that are so economically destructive... yeah, just silly.

BTW, Dragonfly Bar is still doing OK... one of the few places that is... I mean, the gals all still say that it's down from last year and very hit-&-miss as far as customers go, but their particular bar seems to be doing much better than most.
    Last edited by WarProfiteer; 20th October 2015 at 09:01.
    nelsonone and Waharoa like this.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast