Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree74Likes

Thread: Expats...why are you still living in Thailand?

Expats...why are you still living in Thailand?

I was prompted to start this thread more out of curiosity than anything else.
    Since the coup, living in the country is making depressing reading. The CM bar closures are in a long list of things I despise about Thailand now. It's corrupt (nothing new there mind), farangs are not wanted, you jump through hoops to stay there LT, everything seems to be telling me its not a place I would now consider moving to. I can see even bigger problems once Elvis leaves too.

What is keeping you there?

In your position I'd be seriously looking at upping sticks and moving to somewhere on the coast in Vietnam.
    Having done that bike trip there I bet Sef knows a few great spots where you could be happy to lay your hat and be welcomed.
    RIP Nicke June 1971 - Jan 2013.

AT SOME POINT IN LIFE, EVERYONE HAS GAMBLED ON A FART AND LOST.

^ TBH the coup has effected me very little here...I'm probably more considered in what I say in public and online but whilst I feel for Thais who have been disenfranchised of their say in their future by it, as far as farangs go living on Samui...well...not much has changed really...apart from the fact that I just don't feel as good about living here as I used to since the coup

There may be fewer farang tourists about here but that slack has been mostly taken up by the Chinese and other Asians...we had 2am closures for a few months after the bomb went off but things have normalised now....I rarely use the bars anyway any more...maybe a couple of times a month if I can't get out of it as the hangovers nearly kill me these days with my "condition" ...TBH I'm more bothered by box jellyfish in the sea in wet season than the bars shutting at 2am.....and whilst I don't enjoy doing the visa renewal thing each year...its just one morning out of my life each year

I will definitely monitor the situation with restrictions that may be happening with the net....I need a decent speed for my work and play (U/Ls + D/Ls etc) ....however unless that or draconian limits to societal freedoms with a change at the very top effect me, I just can't see me moving elsewhere real soon..but believe me, I have looked at lots of options including Nha Trang/Hoi Ann in Viet as you mention Rog
    Last edited by nelsonone; 14th October 2015 at 22:26.
    dawsey likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dawsey View Post
    I was prompted to start this thread more out of curiosity than anything else.
    Since the coup, living in the country is making depressing reading. The CM bar closures are in a long list of things I despise about Thailand now. It's corrupt (nothing new there mind), farangs are not wanted, you jump through hoops to stay there LT, everything seems to be telling me its not a place I would now consider moving to. I can see even bigger problems once Elvis leaves too.

What is keeping you there?

In your position I'd be seriously looking at upping sticks and moving to somewhere on the coast in Vietnam.
    Having done that bike trip there I bet Sef knows a few great spots where you could be happy to lay your hat and be welcomed.
    Put quite simple Mr Dawes...........you haven't been to Pattaya as a single man 555555555555555

Actually other than CM bar closures and the usual cycle of early closures here and there and the usual countrywide issues around corruption, policing, visas etc there is very little that has significantly affected expats.

Most of the negative stuff is actually how it impacts on Thai's in Thailand and especially the vast majority who are being robbed of their democracy and their own development

For expats of a certain outlook on life then the more chaos and corruption the better simply because it gives you that sense of escaping the nanny west but at the same time certainly from my point of view I do have concerns for the underprivileged Thai's because what give me the sense of escapism is their prison sentence (albeit they probably don particularly feel it - keep them dumb)

Quote Originally Posted by Geespot View Post
    Put quite simple Mr Dawes...........you haven't been to Pattaya as a single man 555555555555555

have you?...........555
    Geespot, LivinLOS and Hobbsy like this.

I think those guys make good points..........if I were single and didn't have family in Thailand, not much would bother me.
    Even the visa situation wouldn't

I get my tits up that our countries allow their citizens to live here properly but if I wasn't involved with a Thai, that hypocrisy wouldn't bother me.
    And all the govt stuff bothers me because it effects my stepson.

To be honest, Thailand is more attractive to me now where as a foreigner you are not as much a novelty as you were before.
    I never got thrills out of that..........actually always made uncomfortable, i'd prefr how it is now.........where you are seen as just one of the crowd mostly

Quote Originally Posted by Geespot View Post
    It'll never happen Gee. They say never knock it unless you've tried it, but I've never wanted to try incest either!

I'm wondering if you guys who have money invested in property or businesses get a twitchy arse when yet another government (read military) law is inflicted on the population. I know its said don't invest what you can't afford to lose, but could that become a reality?
    If it became impossible to live in Thailand any more do you have alternatives like Nels indicated?

How about the guys down in Phuket? Dodger, Baz, Bill ?
    Well Dodge seems to have a hand in a guesthouse (owner I don't know) so if things changed for the worst what's his situation? (Shame he seems to have opted out of contributing here now)
    Baz we know is just waiting for the day he slips into the pine overcoat so he can be discounted, but I wonder how long Bill sees his future in LOS?
    Last edited by dawsey; 15th October 2015 at 02:26.

Climate is huge for me.. August in England was horrible, peak summer and it was cold.. That I wont do..

But things are looking really repressive here... Its gone from the obvious soldiers on the streets repression, to kill all the business repression.. Its different and more subtle, but not any less worrying.

Not sure.. Theres not much else of Thailand I would live in than where I am.. But its not looking good..

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    Climate is huge for me.. August in England was horrible, peak summer and it was cold.. That I wont do..

But things are looking really repressive here... Its gone from the obvious soldiers on the streets repression, to kill all the business repression.. Its different and more subtle, but not any less worrying.

Not sure.. Theres not much else of Thailand I would live in than where I am.. But its not looking good..
    It's funny..........I look at climate as an absolute negative about living in Thailand
    But that is all personal preference but I don't like it at all

Today is sunny, clear blue skys and 12 C and I think it is absolutely perfect

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    You're right, August was a shocker this year. May, June and first part July superb. Living somewhere warm appeals but not the be all and end all.
    Have to laugh at the "feeling the cold at 20c" in your CM thread 555

So what's your alternative to LOS?

Quote Originally Posted by marc26 View Post
    Today is sunny, clear blue skys and 12 C and I think it is absolutely perfect
    Almost the same (14C bright and sunny) here in my part of the UK. I love it and wouldn't change it for anywhere. I like the seasons.

Almost the same (14C bright and sunny) here in my part of the UK. I love it and wouldn't change it for anywhere. I like the seasons.
    I like 0 C sometimes!
    It was -15 C in NYC a couple years ago and I loved it...........it was like pumping energy into your body 555
    I wouldn't want -15 C every day but I like nice cold days at times

Quote Originally Posted by marc26 View Post
    I like 0 C sometimes!
    It was -15 C in NYC a couple years ago and I loved it...........it was like pumping energy into your body 555
    I wouldn't want -15 C every day but I like nice cold days at times
    I can relate to that.
    At the other end of the scale, I have a sister living in the Middle East. From Late April until Mid November she won't see a raindrop nor the temperature drop below 38/40C.
    I couldn't live anywhere like that.
    LivinLOS likes this.

I can relate to that.
    At the other end of the scale, I have a sister living in the Middle East. From Late April until Mid November she won't see a raindrop nor the temperature drop below 38/40C.
    I couldn't live anywhere like that.
    The one thing I hate about the climate in Thailand is going out at night and it being way too hot..........I hate being sweaty when out
    I don't mind it during the day, driving around and such..........but when I am out and in nice clothes, I hate to sweat

U.K. Weather a lot of the time is so miserable and grey. It's not like cold and crisp which is sometimes nice but more often cold, drizzling and bit windy and overcast.

Thailand's climate is fkin horrible. Its the least reason for me being there. There is 2 month window mid Dec to early Feb when its is really lovely and has no humidity. The rest of the year it's varying degrees of horribleness

I can imagine California or say the Canaries or even South West France would be my climate choice

I guess it's down to personal opinion but I find there is something liberating walking or scooting around at night time and feeling so warm. Even on most fine summer days at home it's still pretty cool at night.

I remember really looking forward to tasting some fresh crisp air after spending several months in Thailand but I still love the humid warm air in the tropics.....there's something about it for me!

I also love the humidity hitting you at the airport when you Head out the main doors. Within minutes you're sweating.....perfect excuse for grabbing a beer at the first 7Eleven for the taxi ride into town.....ahhhh I'm on holidays! :-)
    nelsonone and LivinLOS like this.

I remember my first trip to Phuket I packed a couple of sweaters and a windbreaker jacket... just in case it got chilly in the evenings, I took a girl back to the room and she just looked at it like WTF is that for! 555

For the expats that've lived there a few years, do you acclimatise to the heat at all? like Thais rarely look wet with sweat whereas I walk around like it's Songkran everyday.

With Elvis it could go the other way, exchange rates could make the and $ go a lot further.

Quote Originally Posted by stupscott View Post
    I remember my first trip to Phuket I packed a couple of sweaters and a windbreaker jacket... just in case it got chilly in the evenings, I took a girl back to the room and she just looked at it like WTF is that for! 555

For the expats that've lived there a few years, do you acclimatise to the heat at all? like Thais rarely look wet with sweat whereas I walk around like it's Songkran everyday.

With Elvis it could go the other way, exchange rates could make the and $ go a lot further.
    I think most people will acclimate somewhat to weather
    But I think some expats play it up
    Act like they aren't hot with sweat pouring off their face and all cold when it is 23 C 555

I've always said that for me in semi-retirement, I want a place that feels like I am permanently on holidays and where I can swim in the sea every day...Samui still fills the brief for me but those box jelly fish are a bit of a concern atm

I'd be happy to never again feel the cold but yeah it does get hot here from time to time in the day...I rarely feel hot an night

Well, I have a lot of mixed feelings. I'm certainly not enamored of Thailand anymore, but there are plenty of pluses for me. I mostly like the weather. It doesn't get quite as hot here as it does in Bkk or Isaan.
    I could do without the heavy, heavy rainfall but that is about all I really dislike.
    Of course business wise, one should be concerned, but not overly. We have a pretty good thing here and I don' see it diminishing much. We bought at a good time and have the chanote. Just the land alone is worth much, much more than we paid back in 2004.
    But, if I had to do it all over again, I'm not sure it would be here. Sometimes I just get tired of the nonsense and the 'Thai' way. I really love Vietnam. That being said, things are always different after you stay somewhere long time.
    But for now, I'll be here unless we were offered a good price for the hotel. Then I would really have to think about it. After all, what would I do? This is still a pretty good place to live.

As a caveat: just how many guys would LOVE to trade places with me....you really almost could not ask for a better set of circumstances.
    Last edited by billpay; 15th October 2015 at 11:07.
    slampay, LivinLOS, dawsey and 1 others like this.
    The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast