Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Greatdane
  • 1 Post By Pablo

Thread: Thousands of foreigners charged for illegally entering country

Thousands of foreigners charged for illegally entering country

Thousands for foreigners charged for illegally entering country - The Nation

More than 9,000 foreigners were busted for illegally entering the country - four of them wanted by Interpol - during a weeklong police crackdown that finished Sunday.

Police said of the 9,265 foreigners napped, 9038 had been charged with violating the Immigration Act 1979, 18 for violating the Criminal Code and 209 were charged in accordance with other laws.

The arrests include Kristina Monka, 23, a Russian wanted by Interpol on fraud charges, was arrested on Wednesday.

Grigory Lyaskov, 24, a Russian wanted by Interpol on fraud charges, was arrested along with Kristina.

Working as a bank manager in Russia, it is alleged Kristina transferred Bt4 million from a client's account to her secret account and Bt945,000 to Grigory's account.

Russian police issued arrest warrants and cancelled their passports and sought Interpol's help in arresting them.

Immigration Bureau police arrested them in Pattaya.
    Something doesnt seem right with this.. 9000 plus people arrested for entering the country illegally.. in one week.. and yet they mention 2 ??

And theres nothing on ThaiVisa or any forums.. This was on one week in just pattaya ???

How were they arresting these people ?? Was it random checks ??? Was it Khmer / burmese workers ?? Are they talking about ED or VOA abusers ??

Just seems to leave far more questions that answers. Suspicious facts to me.

Also right in line with more controls.. General Happyness seems keen to implement the previously threatened overstay blacklisting.

In a way I can understand it a little.. The one aspect I dont think fair in the penalies is if caught on the way to the airport 1 day late, your due a 1 year blacklist. Theres lots of genuine cases for accidental overstay, injury, sickness, hospitalization.. Missed travel connections.. Victims of a crime, etc etc..

If your 'caught' on the way to a border with just a few days.. I feel that should fit into the 'under 90 days' surrendering side.

ʵ.ŧѺǵҧҵ 9,265 - Crime - Manager Online
    PM Prayuth to decide on tough new penalties for foreigners who overstay

mgr.png
    Image: Manager.co.th

BANGKOK:-- Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-o-Cha is considering whether or not to introduce new, stricter penalties for foreign nationals who overstay in Thailand, according to Immigration chief Pol Lt Gen Nathathorn.

Pol Lt Gen Nathathorn told reporters on Sunday the new rules on overstay being considered by the PM are as follows:

For an offender who cooperates and hands him or herself in to Immigration:

Overstay of more than 90 days = barred from re-entering Thailand for one year.

Overstay of more than 1 year = barred from re-entering Thailand for three years.

Overstay of more than 3 years = barred from re-entering Thailand for five years.

Overstay of more than 5 years = barred from re-entering Thailand for ten years.

For an offender who is arrested for overstaying their visa:

Overstay of less than 1 year = barred from re-entering Thailand for five years.

Overstay of more than 1 year = barred from re-entering Thailand for five years.

These penalties were first proposed in 2014 after Immigration officials informed the Interior Ministry that the existing penalties for overstay, which include a fine of 500 THB for each day of overstay, up to a maximum 20,000 THB, were not enough to deter people from overstaying in Thailand.

Currently people who overstay their visa can simply pay the fine and immediately return to Thailand.

The new, tougher penalties, which have been approved by the Interior Ministry, have been passed to PM Prayuth for his approval.

In 2013, more than 70,000 foreigners were charged with overstaying their visas.

Pol Lt Gen Nathathorn was speaking at the conclusion of the Immigration Bureau’s “Good Guys In, Bad Guys Out” operation, which resulted in more than 9,000 foreigners being held for overstaying their permission to stay in Thailand.

Source: Manager.co.th
    - additional reporting from Ketsarin Kadlangka
    Looks like an error in the reporting also.. Both the under and over 1 year 'if caught' clauses say 5 years.. I had hear 1 and 5 before.
    Last edited by LivinLOS; 26th October 2015 at 09:04.

Might be wrong but I take this to mean only for over 90 days would you get barred and anything less would be usual fines............?!

EDIT just re-read it and really doesnt make any sense seems to contradict itself on each paragraph

The ban extends to three years if the overstay is more than one year. Violators exceeding three years will be banned from re-entering for five years, while those who overstay more than five years will be prohibited from returning to the kingdom for 10 years, starting from the day they leave Thailand

Offenders arrested for overstaying less than one year will be barred from re-entry for five years and those overstaying more than one year cannot come back for 10 years.

Under the tougher regulations now being considered by Gen Prayut, offenders who turn themselves in would be barred from re-entering Thailand for one year if their overstay period exceeds 90 days
    Tough new overstay rules go before PM | Bangkok Post: news
    Last edited by davis121; 26th October 2015 at 10:15.

Agree the BP article is horribly written.

I think it breaks down like..

When leaving the country voluntarily

Overstay of more than 90 days = barred from re-entering Thailand for one year.

Overstay of more than 1 year = barred from re-entering Thailand for three years.

Overstay of more than 3 years = barred from re-entering Thailand for five years.

Overstay of more than 5 years = barred from re-entering Thailand for ten years.

For an offender who is arrested for overstaying their visa:

Overstay of less than 1 year = barred from re-entering Thailand for five years.

Overstay of more than 1 year = barred from re-entering Thailand for five years.
    With the last one being incorrect and "Overstay of more than 1 year = barred from re-entering Thailand for ten years"

Quote Originally Posted by davis121 View Post
    just re-read it and really doesnt make any sense seems to contradict itself on each paragraph
    No, one is for people giving them selves up. The tougher one is for people getting caught.

So, if you are one day over, and you go to immigration to get an extension, you will get a fine. If you are stopped by the police on your way to immigration, you will be barred for five years.

Oh, LivinLOS beat me to it.
    Last edited by Greatdane; 26th October 2015 at 10:34. Reason: Too slow
    LivinLOS likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Greatdane View Post
    No, one is for people giving them selves up. The tougher one is for people getting caught.

So, if you are one day over, and you go to immigration to get an extension, you will get a fine. If you are stopped by the police on your way to immigration, you will be barred for five years.
    Agreed... The few days over but being caught is the one that stands out as unfair IMO.

Especially as it wasnt unknown for police to pull over visa run mini buses 1km of the border and check to 'arrest' overstayers for bribe money years ago, either pay a on the spot or get arrested go to the IDC and be deported etc... Even tho they were just minutes away from voluntarily leaving the country.

It opens up an avenue for graft with a very high penalty in the ban, which doesnt seem like it fits the crime.

Simple......don't overstay
    When Ao was on tourist visas here......we would never think of being in a situation where she was 1 day over

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    Agreed... The few days over but being caught is the one that stands out as unfair IMO.

Especially as it wasnt unknown for police to pull over visa run mini buses 1km of the border and check to 'arrest' overstayers for bribe money years ago, either pay a on the spot or get arrested go to the IDC and be deported etc... Even tho they were just minutes away from voluntarily leaving the country.

It opens up an avenue for graft with a very high penalty in the ban, which doesnt seem like it fits the crime.
    Ok my bad read it wrongly.....

Just heard of someone in HKT very recently who had to pay a large amount of money by Thai standards for something that would usually be about 10k......so nothing surprises me here anymore!!

Only one time that I overstayed my visa in Thailand.

Knowing that I would be (wanted to) extending my stay by only 2 days, I went to the Patong Immigration office and tried to "buy" the usual 10 day extension for 2K baht.

The officer was a lazy wanker and told me that for just 2 days overstay, to handle it at the airport office. He wouldn't budge and refused to accommodate my request!

Of course, at the airport, they treated me as a criminal and had me sign a bunch of shit in their square box of an office, and of course pay the fine!

It reminded me of a time once, when I lost my "shore pass" in Tokyo. ("shore pass" is given to airline/ship crew-members in lieu of a visa.)

On departure at the airport, they held me in their "box" for around :45 minutes and had me sign an "apology" letter to the emperor FFS!

I was expecting them to break out the rubber hoses and start beating on me. 5555
    Last edited by Pablo; 26th October 2015 at 12:20.
    LivinLOS likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by marc26 View Post
    Simple......don't overstay
    When Ao was on tourist visas here......we would never think of being in a situation where she was 1 day over
    And yet visa runs and extensions are far more a way of life here.. how often does Ao need an extension ?? Tourist guys here its 60 days. plus 30.. then 60.. Remembering never to screw up a bank holiday, government closure or buddha day, and if you go early you 'lose' some of you paid for visa allotment. EDs for language are every 90 days.. Ao goes what ?? once per year ??

People do have legitimate emergencies.. passports lost, crimes committed, hospital stays..

I have no problem about making overstay a greater punishment, especially for the long term overstays, but they should make the ease of obtaining 7 day emergency extensions automatic not so officer (and corruption) dependent.. Same goes with medical extensions, someone ends up in hospital and not fit to travel, the processing of extensions for this should be automatic, not as hard as it currently is. That is if there is any actual desire to create a better more workable system and not just another anti foreigner clampdown.

Dunno if is legit..just saw on my twitter feed. Looks a bit OTT!
    Attached Images Attached Images

I overstay'ed in Thailand and all I got was this lousy T shirt ?!?!

I seriously doubt the 'facts' presented in the OP tho.. Its claimed 9000 people in pattaya in a week.. thats like one per minute..

How was this roundup done.. roadblocks ?? Work sites ?? Happened without anyone knowing until it was finished ?? I think theres some dodgy stats involved..

The logistics, of feeding, deporting, processing, and general handling of 9000 people isnt trivial..

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post

I seriously doubt the 'facts' presented in the OP tho.. Its claimed 9000 people in pattaya in a week.. thats like one per minute..

How was this roundup done.. roadblocks ?? Work sites ?? Happened without anyone knowing until it was finished ?? I think theres some dodgy stats involved..

The logistics, of feeding, deporting, processing, and general handling of 9000 people isnt trivial..
    From the Bangkok Post :

In a crackdown over the past week, 9,265 foreign suspects were arrested, 97.5% of whom were accused of violating the immigration law by overstaying, said Pol Lt Gen Nathathorn.

Of this number, only 18 people were detained on other criminal charges.

A vast majority of the detained suspects were African people, he said.
    Bangkok Post : Overstayers face stiff re-entry bans

Yet you dont manage to round up 9000 africans without creating something people would see.. Especially as they stated pattaya not bangkok, would you find 9000 africans in pattaya ?? Let alone 9000 all on overstay..

I am wondering if its 90 or 900 this week or the 9000 number is year to date..