Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 42
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Walking Street Murder

  1. #1
    Senior Member dan boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    208

    Walking Street Murder

    Soldier kills ex-girlfriend in jealous attack on Walking Street, South Pattaya - Pattaya One, Local News in Pattaya Thailand


    A friend of mine and Grahams witnessed this first hand today. Said it happened to quickly for anyone to help.

    Apparently the victim who worked in a walking street go-go was stabbed from behind in the middle of walking street and then had her throat cut by her estranged Thai Boyfriend, whom had absconded from the army to track her down.

    I would think the Ozzie guys who were with her will be having a few sleepless nights..

    Horrific stuff......
    Pattaya Pattaya - Phuuying love u mak mak

  2. #2
    Senior Member WarProfiteer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    2,031
    ^That's a damn shame. Pretty horrific looking scene too.

    Wonder how much time he will actually do?

  3. #3
    Senior Member marc26's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Vancouver BC
    Posts
    10,467
    Quote Originally Posted by WarProfiteer View Post
    ^That's a damn shame. Pretty horrific looking scene too.

    Wonder how much time he will actually do?
    Thailand is pretty strict with jail terms
    My BIL's have gotten pretty lenghty terms for not that big of offenses

  4. #4
    Senior Member nelsonone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    2,862
    Quote Originally Posted by marc26 View Post
    Thailand is pretty strict with jail terms
    unless of course you are rich and/or connected
    LivinLOS and WarProfiteer like this.

  5. #5
    Super Moderator LivinLOS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    14,153
    Its incredibly variable.. And also different biases.. Crimes of passion, generally get lower sentances than we expect, there seems a Thai attitude that 'losing it' is sort of justifiable somehow and mitigates it..

    The irish kid up here selling weed on line, hes looking at 50 years.. I have heard murder sentences, even for not connected people, down in the 4 years range..

  6. #6
    Senior Member nelsonone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    2,862
    admitting your crime, saying sorry, sob stories, kissing the magistrates feet, offering up some money behind closed doors, saying you'll never do it again, sob sob....all seem to get time off a sentence...for some people

    There is still that serf/master relationship going on in the legal system..begging for mercy/forgiveness and kow towing in front of the big overlord goes a long way
    LivinLOS likes this.

  7. #7
    Senior Member soupdragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Bang Tao
    Posts
    2,367
    Yes I think we have all seen this over the years what seems to be very light sentences for very serious crimes.

    This is first degree murder and it is somehow justified because the little prick got his ego bruised and lost face. I find it sickening.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Waharoa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    6,100
    That discussion over sentencing etc... makes me think... About 15 years ago, a friend of mine murdered his girlfriend when he caught her cheating. Covered in blood he turned himself into the police. He was an up and coming triathlete, nothing but a model student at school. Nice kid... never saw him in a fight or anything. He just lost it... went to prison for 12 years and being a young lad was raped repeatedly in prison.. fucked him up.. though he was fucked up pretty bad as soon as he committed the murder... my brother went and saw him in prison and said he wasn't the same guy any more.. and that was only after a year behind bars...

    Now should a one-off red mist moment be treated the same way as someone who is a cold blooded killer, who will kill again? The law seems to treat the offence more than the motive? Or is that not the case?

    I know its a complicated subject, but how many of us have "lost it" for a split second and done something stupid? Does that make us inherently bad and in need to be punished? I know I have lost it and could have killed or seriously injured someone with one punch. Luckily it was a friend who didn't press charges... but it did make me think.. fuck, I nearly changed his life and my life forever there... and yet I had no control over the incident. I don't even remember doing it. I was a little drunk.. but I remember everything leading up to the moment and everything afterwards... but for those few seconds when I lost it... I have no recollection. I don't remember hitting him at all. I only remember that for one instant, I wanted to... next thing he was on the floor unconscious.

    But how many of us have had a rare moment of madness? Does that make us all potential murderers? Minority Report would have a field day with us all I am sure...
    Last edited by Waharoa; 6th November 2015 at 16:52.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Thin White Duke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Afrique du Sud
    Posts
    2,891
    You mean like an Oscar ?

  10. #10
    Senior Member Stillearly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    829
    Quote Originally Posted by Waharoa View Post
    That discussion over sentencing etc... makes me think... About 15 years ago, a friend of mine murdered his girlfriend when he caught her cheating. Covered in blood he turned himself into the police. He was an up and coming triathlete, nothing but a model student at school. Nice kid... never saw him in a fight or anything. He just lost it... went to prison for 12 years and being a young lad was raped repeatedly in prison.. fucked him up.. though he was fucked up pretty bad as soon as he committed the murder... my brother went and saw him in prison and said he wasn't the same guy any more.. and that was only after a year behind bars...

    Now should a one-off red mist moment be treated the same way as someone who is a cold blooded killer, who will kill again? The law seems to treat the offence more than the motive? Or is that not the case?


    I know its a complicated subject, but how many of us have "lost it" for a split second and done something stupid? Does that make us inherently bad and in need to be punished? I know I have lost it and could have killed or seriously injured someone with one punch. Luckily it was a friend who didn't press charges... but it did make me think.. fuck, I nearly changed his life and my life forever there... and yet I had no control over the incident. I don't even remember doing it. I was a little drunk.. but I remember everything leading up to the moment and everything afterwards... but for those few seconds when I lost it... I have no recollection. I don't remember hitting him at all. I only remember that for one instant, I wanted to... next thing he was on the floor unconscious.

    But how many of us have had a rare moment of madness? Does that make us all potential murderers? Minority Report would have a field day with us all I am sure...
    It isn't treated the same , you already have different degrees of murder in all countries ( think it's 1st , 2nd and 3rd in the States , you have murder , manslaughter and voluntary manslaughter in the UK ) and the sentencing in different for them all ...
    'If it floats, flies or fcuks , it's cheaper to rent"

  11. #11
    Senior Member Waharoa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    6,100
    Quote Originally Posted by Stillearly View Post
    It isn't treated the same , you already have different degrees of murder in all countries ( think it's 1st , 2nd and 3rd in the States , you have murder , manslaughter and voluntary manslaughter in the UK ) and the sentencing in different for them all ...
    Yeah I understand that, I'm not sure what I was trying to say now.. someone help me...55 I know what I meant at the time, but didn't explain it too well. It's just someone like my mate ends up getting life, whereas someone carrying a gun to rob a business, who ends up killing someone during the robbery may end up serving less time...? The law always seems harsh on crimes of passion... when they are often the least preventable?

  12. #12
    Senior Member Thin White Duke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Afrique du Sud
    Posts
    2,891
    Dolus Directus and Dolus Eventualis apparently from the Oscar case

  13. #13
    Senior Member Waharoa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    6,100
    Quote Originally Posted by Thin White Duke View Post
    Dolus Directus and Dolus Eventualis apparently from the Oscar case
    Though Oscar wasn't convicted under the terms of a crime of passion was he? More a crime of uncertainty? ie.. he thought there was an intruder? If the judge thought Oscar knew for sure who was in the toilet.. the verdict would have been different?

  14. #14
    Senior Member Thin White Duke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Afrique du Sud
    Posts
    2,891
    You will get the answer in about three weeks when the Supreme Court rules on it.

    But it's looking like the Judge may have erred in law and will be over-ruled.

  15. #15
    Senior Member Waharoa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    6,100
    Quote Originally Posted by Thin White Duke View Post
    You will get the answer in about three weeks when the Supreme Court rules on it.

    But it's looking like the Judge may have erred in law and will be over-ruled.
    Why was Oscar released to house arrest ahead of this?

  16. #16
    Senior Member Thin White Duke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Afrique du Sud
    Posts
    2,891
    Under SA law he had qualified for house arrest........for Culpable Homicide.

    If it is overturned and changed to Murder he will be going back.
    Waharoa likes this.

  17. #17
    Senior Member dan boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    208
    Another thought; the girl i know who witnessed this is fairly upset and traumatised by it. Guess not much support in patts for thai bg who witnessed a gruesome murder !!
    In the UK you would be provided months of councelling no doubt and wouldnt be back working at the scene the next day !!!

  18. #18
    Senior Member Waharoa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    6,100
    Quote Originally Posted by Stillearly View Post
    It isn't treated the same , you already have different degrees of murder in all countries ( think it's 1st , 2nd and 3rd in the States , you have murder , manslaughter and voluntary manslaughter in the UK ) and the sentencing in different for them all ...
    Just looking at common law murder. Does a crime of passion could come under either provocation or manslaughter? It seems such a grey area? Or does it come under diminished responsibility? Or is there no consideration for that state of mind at all?

    General

    Although laws vary by country, there are circumstances of exclusion that are common in many legal systems.

    • Self-defense: acting in self-defense or in defense of another person is generally accepted as legal justification for killing a person in situations that would otherwise have been murder. However, a self-defense killing might be considered manslaughter if the killer established control of the situation before the killing took place. In the case of self-defense it is called a "justifiable homicide".[18]
    • Unlawful killings without malice or intent are considered manslaughter.
    • In many common law countries, provocation is a partial defense to a charge of murder which acts by converting what would otherwise have been murder into manslaughter (this is voluntary manslaughter, which is more severe than involuntary manslaughter).
    • Accidental killings are considered homicides. Depending on the circumstances, these may or may not be considered criminal offenses; they are often considered manslaughter.
    • Suicide does not constitute murder in most societies. Assisting a suicide, however, may be considered murder in some circumstances.
    • Killing of enemy combatants by lawful combatants, in accordance with lawful orders in war, is also generally not considered murder; although illicit killings within a war may constitute murder or homicidal war crimes. (see the Laws of war article)

  19. #19
    Senior Member Stillearly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    829
    Quote Originally Posted by dan boy View Post
    Another thought; the girl i know who witnessed this is fairly upset and traumatised by it. Guess not much support in patts for thai bg who witnessed a gruesome murder !!
    In the UK you would be provided months of councelling no doubt and wouldnt be back working at the scene the next day !!!
    although most of the Thais I've come across would be sharing pics and videos if it on FB .... not just this crime , but any murder or traffic accident , the first thought would be to get their phone out . Judging by the newspapers and magazines I've seen sold in Thailand over the years , looking at gore seems to be a National obsession
    Honeyseeker likes this.
    'If it floats, flies or fcuks , it's cheaper to rent"

  20. #20
    Senior Member marc26's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Vancouver BC
    Posts
    10,467
    Quote Originally Posted by nelsonone View Post
    admitting your crime, saying sorry, sob stories, kissing the magistrates feet, offering up some money behind closed doors, saying you'll never do it again, sob sob....all seem to get time off a sentence...for some people

    There is still that serf/master relationship going on in the legal system..begging for mercy/forgiveness and kow towing in front of the big overlord goes a long way
    My BIL's hit a cop a few months ago
    Neither have any arrests at all, never been in trouble
    In US they would have got a fine
    Thailand they looking at 3 years

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •