Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Greatdane
  • 2 Post By Geespot
  • 1 Post By Captain
  • 1 Post By Robaht

Thread: Sim Card

Sim Card

I need a Thai sim card. I am in Thailand 2 times every year. Each time I am here for about 4 weeks, but there can be between 6 to 8 months between my trips. I don't have Thai creditcard og bank account. I would like to be able to keep the same number from one trip to the next.
    Question : Which sim card should I get, and where can I get it in Patong.

Hope some of the regular BMs can help.

I have an AIS card with a subscription, costing 399 baht a month for 1.5 GB data at full speed. If I use more, the speed is lowered. The limit is no problem for me, as most of the time, I use Wi-Fi.

I do not know where you can buy the sim card in Patong. If you go to the phone shops at the top floor in Jungceylon, they only have special tourist sim cards which is more expensive and only works for 14 days, as far as I remember. AIS have a customer support next to the phone shops. They do not sell sim cards, but they can help with the subscription.

Are you here already? At Suvarnabhumi, AIS have a shop where you can get sim cards and subscriptions. I can imagine they have one at Phuket Airport as well.
    Dkdude likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Greatdane View Post
    I have an AIS card with a subscription, costing 399 baht a month for 1.5 GB data at full speed. If I use more, the speed is lowered. The limit is no problem for me, as most of the time, I use Wi-Fi.

I do not know where you can buy the sim card in Patong. If you go to the phone shops at the top floor in Jungceylon, they only have special tourist sim cards which is more expensive and only works for 14 days, as far as I remember. AIS have a customer support next to the phone shops. They do not sell sim cards, but they can help with the subscription.

Are you here already? At Suvarnabhumi, AIS have a shop where you can get sim cards and subscriptions. I can imagine they have one at Phuket Airport as well.
    The special tourist sim card is probably not hard wired. It can start out like that and then all you need to do is call AIS or go to one of their shops and get the subscription changed. You can also get them to change the credit validity period usually to a maximum of 12 months; that means as long as you keep some credit on the phone the sim card will remain live and wont be discontinued

Data packages are pretty irrelevant in terms of keeping your sim alive. you can either buy data packages with a validity of 1 month with the usual high speed buffers of a set amount of data at high speed then unlimited at low speed and access to approved wi fi hot spots

I still think overall AIS is the best service, I've had that for 13-14 years now with some other extra sim card from True and DTAC which never quite met my needs in terms of Isaan service coverage and speed of data packages
    Dkdude and JimCA2 like this.

I have the same DTAC(number) since 2002. I spoke in the office and they extended the length of my coverage so that I keep it.
    soupdragon likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Geespot View Post
    I still think overall AIS is the best service,
    Except for their website which is impossible to navigate and invariably tells you to contact customer services whenever you try to subscribe to anything. Sort it out AIS 5555

If you get a DTAC sim you can keep topping up online a little at a time to keep the number valid. Probably works with all the sims, no need for Thai cc or bank account or anything, just a credit card from any old country! (I've had some issues topping up using Safari but Firefox seems to work)
    Dkdude likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by soupdragon View Post
    Except for their website which is impossible to navigate and invariably tells you to contact customer services whenever you try to subscribe to anything. Sort it out AIS 5555
    Agreed the website is a shambles but their english language call centre operatives are excellent, so just call them!!

I think you have to even the mobile app only ever gives me this 55555