Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By LivinLOS

Thread: Rustling up the education system.

Rustling up the education system.

So as most know Ao is back in Thailand for 5 months and true to her word she is being productive.
    And especially with the most important issue.....figuring out my stepson's high school.

She has been to his school a bunch of times and spoke to his teacher, the principal and counselor.
    To their credit she has said they have all willingly taken time to speak to her and give her info and advice.
    But she says they all seem pretty bewildered that she is doing all this.....and doesn't really happen 555

She said she was speaking to his teacher and the teacher politely interuppted her and asked how old she was and when Ao said 32yrs old and was a bit taken back.

She also said they remarked that her son was lucky because she seemed to truly want him to go to the best school that fits him whereas most Thai parents are just concerned with getting in the best school even though it's not the best fit for the student.

Now the only thing and I don't know if anyone here is experienced with Thai high schools.
    It seems the entrance exams are all given on one day so you are limited on what school or maybe what 2 schools you should shoot for to get into and then if you don't get accepted you are sort of screwed.
    That seems bizarre, anyone know about this?

If I am correct social influence, teachers children, gouvernment officials children and money have priority above entrance exams. The exams only count for the few places left.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    If I am correct social influence, teachers children, gouvernment officials children and money have priority above entrance exams. The exams only count for the few places left.
    Well that's a big reason why she's there.....to wrap her head around it all.
    We have some good friends who know the process and situation so she is leaning on them too.

I only know people having to pay bribes.. But that was for government schools in phuket which were far over subscribed with population for the places...

Was blatant as hell tho.. and the teachers then forcing kids into profiteering systems which were just real shitty.
    soupdragon likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    I only know people having to pay bribes.. But that was for government schools in phuket which were far over subscribed with population for the places...

Was blatant as hell tho.. and the teachers then forcing kids into profiteering systems which were just real shitty.
    Yeah......the one school her old bosses have been recommending highly we need to pay a bribe but I really trust their judgement and even with that the tuition is not that bad at all

From what I've seen, it's really up to the student to perform in school to determine how well they do... majority of students just copy off their friends in class and get all their (real) learning from private tutors or not at all. Out of a class of 40-50 students I'd say there's only 5-6 that really know the material, 15-20 that fall in-between and the other 20+ get the answers off of them. Only real separation you get (ability) wise is on the mid-term and final exams where you are on your own with out anyone to feed you the answers. So the ones that bomb the tests are only there to hang out which is a bit demoralizing if they make up more than half the class.

Worse so in high school than in junior high and primary... by high school all they want to do is chat with their friends, play Facebook or mobile games (in class if they don't give up their phones) or sleep.

Does your son have a plan about what he wants to be?

The high achievers (in class) that I've noticed all want to be doctors, engineers or computer programmers so they are really keen to learn rather than slack off while others would rather play beauty salon, muay thai or play instruments/sing songs.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Smiley View Post
    From what I've seen, it's really up to the student to perform in school to determine how well they do... majority of students just copy off their friends in class and get all their (real) learning from private tutors or not at all. Out of a class of 40-50 students I'd say there's only 5-6 that really know the material, 15-20 that fall in-between and the other 20+ get the answers off of them. Only real separation you get (ability) wise is on the mid-term and final exams where you are on your own with out anyone to feed you the answers. So the ones that bomb the tests are only there to hang out which is a bit demoralizing if they make up more than half the class.

Worse so in high school than in junior high and primary... by high school all they want to do is chat with their friends, play Facebook or mobile games (in class if they don't give up their phones) or sleep.

Does your son have a plan about what he wants to be?

The high achievers (in class) that I've noticed all want to be doctors, engineers or computer programmers so they are really keen to learn rather than slack off while others would rather play beauty salon, muay thai or play instruments/sing songs.
    Not really......but that is his nature......he's a very smart but lackadaisical kid.....always has been.
    He does well in school......A and B's and he certainly does the work......believe me my MIL would kill him
    And he always does well on the term end tests

That's good then... hopefully he gets put in a good class where he can make some good friends, the whole school social circle thing has a bigger impact here then say in America... probably more so with the advent of social media and the whole FOMO anxiety (fear of missing out).

That's good then... hopefully he gets put in a good class where he can make some good friends, the whole school social circle thing has a bigger impact here then say in America... probably more so with the advent of social media and the whole FOMO anxiety (fear of missing out).
    As you said it changes in high school but we couldn't be happier with his school situation now and the kids he hangs out with
    All good kids and really no drama at all

My wife is pushing him towards engineering but I just don't see it............honestly he should so something in music............he has a gift for it and loves it........always has.
    You don't usually hear a parent push for that............but he really has something a lot of people don't have in terms of music

^ no reason he can't do both....I did music inside and outside of the school system for the last 6 years of my school life....no way did it hinder my other subjects

if he has the aptitude engineering is a great career...and one with many branches that can be followed as interest grows....does he do well at maths and science...two keys subjects for engineering

Do they have careers advisers in schools here...which can advise on aptitude/performance/attitude etc and harness that to possible careers?

Quote Originally Posted by nelsonone View Post
    ^ no reason he can't do both....I did music inside and outside of the school system for the last 6 years of my school life....no way did it hinder my other subjects

if he has the aptitude engineering is a great career...and one with many branches that can be followed as interest grows....does he do well at maths and science...two keys subjects for engineering

Do they have careers advisers in schools here...which can advise on aptitude/performance/attitude etc and harness that to possible careers?
    He does both now. We bought him a nice guitar last year and he went to lessons in Vancouver and is now in lessons in BKK.
    He is the type of person that can pick up any instrument and play it.
    And actually in English classes on weekends.
    It's amazing how much Thai kids don't seem to mind school.

He is pretty good in all subjects when he applies himself. As I said.....he is lackadaisical, always has been.

Oh and the teacher told Ao he needs to cool it with the girls 555

She is at an appointment now at the big school she wants him to go to. She knew someone that knows a teacher there so set up an appointment.
    I will say......I've been mighty impressed at how much she has been taking care of this and really being proactive.

She didn't understand the whole process and hasn't been the least bit hesitant to reach out to even just friends of friends to get opinions and advice.....very un-Thai like

Talking about what my stepson may or may not do or what be best for him reminds me of a conversation we all had at dinner when we were in Whistler.

I asked him what he wanted to do for a job/career and he answered he wanted a job where he didn't have a boss.

Of course, my wife and MIL being the hard asses they are(man they are strict with him) went right into him and looked at it as him being lazy.

I interjected and said that is not a bad idea or attitude to have just that he needs to channel that and find something that he's good at that gives him that autonomy.

Its weird but I think we have a good dynamic in parenting him. Obviously I am not hands on daily but I've known and supported him since he was 3yrs old.
    And I will say,with certainty, that my MIL and wife respect my opinions when it comes to him and how to parent him and some of the bigger decisions like schooling. Obviously I also have to respect them also in it.
    I honestly think we all do a good job of trying to get it right.

Like my MIL is way, way too strict with him. And with some of the lack of strictness you see in Thai parents.....especially with teenage boys that isn't the worse thing.
    But she was seriously stunting his growth socially......you could see how immature he was because he was never allowed to be out and about.
    And we had an honest conversation with her that she needed to loosen the grip a bit.
    And to her credit..... She listened when she could have easily taken the attitude that she is the one doing the day to day parenting and knows best.

He should start up a rock band at school and play at school events... the girls will go wild for it, 555

They do music classes in high school where they learn top 40 songs so he could probably find like-minded students for jam sessions after school.

He should start up a rock band at school and play at school events... the girls will go wild for it, 555

They do music classes in high school where they learn top 40 songs so he could probably find like-minded students for jam sessions after school.
    He does just fine with the girls now..........but he falls way too easy

Funniest thing ever.
    On FB he was being all teenage girl dramatic............saying things like "I wish people would love me for me" and shit
    My wife jumps in and tells him "drink some milk son and go to bed" with a baby bottle emoji 555

So here's a new one......although I am pretty sure I heard this quite often before.
    There is a very good big Govt High School that Ao wants my stepson to go to.
    But its pretty hard to get into.....they want straight A's
    He is A's and B's
    And he is not born in BKK

So she met with a teacher last week.

So the school is actually cheaper than what we pay now because it is a Govt school but we have to pay a bribe to the teacher!

As I said.....I think I was aware of this even in govt schools but it just seems that you'd more likely have to pay a bribe to private school than a Govt schools.

But this is the one school that she had been targeting for quite some time......but I guess she was finally able to find an "in" by the ground work she's been doing